National Theatre logo
National Theatre

National Theatre Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Hard work, fun people

Working at the theatre bars was challenging but I found learning about the theatre environment interesting. My colleagues were mostly nice and occasionally see famous actors/people!

Pros

Free tickets to shows

Cons

Not much opportunity to advance

Good

It was good place to work and gain experience. I had a lot of good times and it helped me immensely with my career progression. Would recommend if you get the opportunity

Pros

In centre of london

Cons

In centre of london

Productive and learning

I really enjoyed my time there. I met some interesting people and they took the time to explain things well. there are many opportunities for growth at national theatre.

creative

a great place to work if you you work in theatre, competitive. relaxed and safe atmosphere, long hours and lots of evening and weekend work. safe working environment

National theatre

Great place to work fun kind people to work around or with to result of working hard pays of in building as u can get extra hours if u are willing to put hard work in

extremely fun workplace

A typical day at work for me would include interacting with not only customers but colleagues, giving my best always and learning from my surroundings. I became more aware of the different roles a workplace like a theatre can have. Management can be like challenging and requires are lot of skills to overcome. The hardest part of this job would have to be dealing with the more complicated clients and their concerns. the most enjoyable part of this job would be the people who work there.

Pros

watching some of the performances

Fun Exciting workplace

Learning how the company runs and what it takes to keep such a well known place like that as exciting as possible, colleagues are helpful and understanding helping you get the most out of your experience.

Pros

Amazing atmosphere

Cons

tiring work

Úžasné pracovní místo

V rámci Londýna to byla jedna z nejlepších prací. Možnost směn byla skvělá. Parta lidí byla skvělá. Lokalita taktéž a bonusy a benefity byly velmi příjemné.

Pros

možnost vybírání směn, slevy na lístky, občerstvení

Productive and supportive workplace

Productive and supportive workplace. Creatively inspiring, learned a lot during my time. Deadlines were tight as expected but the working environment was joyfully collaborative.

enthusiastic and encouraging

i was given incredible education and opportunities whilst here, ones i couldn't have imagine id be so lucky to be involved in. loved every second of it.

Jobs at National Theatre

See more jobs

Most Fun, Activity-packed group work experience in theatre I've done

Everyday was well organised, structured and planned. We knew what we were doing at all times and learnt soft skills applicable to every job. Theatre based/ Front of House activities included set designing, catering skills and customer service skills.

enjoyable place to work

Fantastic place to work with a great group of people. It was such a good place to work you didn't mind working weekends Or even working overtime, getting to work on scenarios and then seeing the actors use it

Pros

great place to work

Fun and great team

National Theatre is a great place to work to have a great experience of working with interesting people and learning about theatre. Lots of staff benefits including tours and tickets.

It was a completley new thing.

Started work there from college for work experience. It was something very new that I had never done before but it was relevant to my Art and Design course. I really enjoyed the team work.

Fun workplace

A great place to work. Community feel. Creative building. Hard working staff. Organised and structured work place. Supports local community. Interesting project. Internal Jobs.

Pros

High pay, free tickets

Cons

Zero hour contract

Exciting but Unbalanced

Working backstage at the National Theatre has been an exciting yet challenging experience. I have gained key skills in team work, building professional relationships with a variety of personalities and have been given the opportunity to lead. Daily, I carry out costume maintenance duties, for example, laundering, alterations, costume checks and backstage presets. The hardest part of the job is the work/life balance because of the unsociable hours. Not enough holiday or organisation is in place to work around this issue. Also, job security is a problem due to a cut in the arts industry by the government therefore no permanent positions have been available for a long time. The most enjoyable part of the job is constantly being inspired by the minds of great directors, designers and performers. A great perk is free and discounted theatre tickets.

Pros

Free or discounted tickets, teamwork, exciting environment and creativity.

Cons

Unsociable hours, underpaid and job security.

fun and busy workplace

On day to day bases I start off lifting whine glasses from the bottle skips into the bottle bin. I've learnt to make adjustments while working and knowing my in and outs of the building. The managers show you around the building give you good introductions and show you how to speak to customers. Me and my co-workers work very well as a team by any means necessary to achieve are tasks set for us. The hardest part of the job is helping people from other departments in the building carrying and lifting heavy loads to bring around the other parts of the building. The most enjoyable part of the job is delivering drinks to all the different bars in the building.

A work placement

A really interesting work placement at the National Theatre on the Southbank where I got to experience each of the departments and to work with the public.

Thats a hardest part of the job. Getting around the place with permits and getting into rooms , where people are working. A good part of the job. When you have finished job, you that it will be A1.

Pros

Good people

mixed duties

different hours, never can plen ahead management unprofessional

Cons

very short hours

fun and productive

it helped me gain more experience in customer service, it helped me with my communication skills and was really good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Theatre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement