National Theatre logo

National Theatre Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.3Job security & advancement

Good

It was good place to work and gain experience. I had a lot of good times and it helped me immensely with my career progression. Would recommend if you get the opportunity

Pros

In centre of london

Cons

In centre of london

Productive and learning

I really enjoyed my time there. I met some interesting people and they took the time to explain things well. there are many opportunities for growth at national theatre.

enthusiastic and encouraging

i was given incredible education and opportunities whilst here, ones i couldn't have imagine id be so lucky to be involved in. loved every second of it.

Exciting but Unbalanced

Working backstage at the National Theatre has been an exciting yet challenging experience. I have gained key skills in team work, building professional relationships with a variety of personalities and have been given the opportunity to lead. Daily, I carry out costume maintenance duties, for example, laundering, alterations, costume checks and backstage presets. The hardest part of the job is the work/life balance because of the unsociable hours. Not enough holiday or organisation is in place to work around this issue. Also, job security is a problem due to a cut in the arts industry by the government therefore no permanent positions have been available for a long time. The most enjoyable part of the job is constantly being inspired by the minds of great directors, designers and performers. A great perk is free and discounted theatre tickets.

Pros

Free or discounted tickets, teamwork, exciting environment and creativity.

Cons

Unsociable hours, underpaid and job security.

fun and productive

it helped me gain more experience in customer service, it helped me with my communication skills and was really good.

Jobs at National Theatre