National Trust

National Trust Employee Reviews

A disappointing work experience by the time I left. Poor communication within the team and very little to no opportunity for professional development, mainly due to extreme levels of micromanagement. The building is incredible and my colleagues, in the same role, were amazing.
Pros
Beautiful location, National Trust pass
Cons
Short hours, poor pay
I loved my time at the National Trust. It was more like a family. I never dreaded going in. And each day brought new learning and fun. It was honestly my favourite job. And I would love to work for them again. The reason I left was moving away with family.
Pros
Great discount. Free membership. Lovely bonds and friendships made.
Worked last year as part of the seasonal team, in what ended up being a very strange year! Given all that happened, I can't commend The Trust enough for how they dealt with the crisis- we were furloughed, we were consistently kept in the loop via email, we felt involved and part of the team despite being newbies on a seasonal contract. My job role changed dramatically when the site reopened in July; it was still a people-facing role but without the membership sales aspect, and it was hard to provide the usual level of customer service tailored for each customer with all of the restrictions in place. Sometimes it could be a little unstimulating as a result of the site being much quieter than it usually would be (this was mostly due to the bookings-only policy), and that is honestly my only criticism of my time there, which was beyond The Trust's control. Really great managers, excellent colleagues, and just a good feeling working somewhere of such historic interest- I loved talking to visitors about the site, it didn't feel like work most of the time! I'm now in a frontline-worker role, which provides more security and consistent hours, but one day when life returns to normal I would love to work for The Trust again. Highly recommend.
Pros
Free entry to all NT sites for yourself and a +1
Negative, unsupportive management. Stressed, distant staff. Underpaid co workers, unfair distribution of tasks, very poor training opportunities, over reliance on red tape and health and saftey protocols.Incredibly institutional.Boring, stale environment.Two faced.
Pros
Very friendly colleagues and job that had a sense of purpose and pride. Lovely place to work in general. People friendly environment. Miss working there.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Generally positive experience working for the this organisation. Most of the staff are very friendly. There did seem to be a lot of grievance cases in some other departments.
Pros
Lots of great outdoor experiences
Cons
Some of the public hate the organisationion
Great place to work, good staff, fantastic location to work invery interesting, meeting new people every day, good challenge trying to hit your membership target, great feeling when you do.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Working in all weather
I love my job for the NT but the pay is awful. Everyone who works there is so passionate about what they do, but you can’t pay your bills with passion. Far too many fixed term contracts and the interview process it gruelling for such low paid roles. I’m incredibly lucky to have done this job, but relied heavily on savings to volunteer then take a low paid role, as I found, was the case for many people.
Pros
Incredibly interesting
Cons
Terrible pay
I absolutely loved working at the Souter light house they where very friendly very flexible and would bend over backwards to meet me and my family needs wish I could rerun hear
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Over worked and underpaid, working for the Trust you would think your doing your part for a good charity but that is not the case, they are at the end of the day just another company with targets. Working in a small tearoom without the right amount of staff members meant for very stressful days, struggling to get lunch breaks. Most managers being just about useless, some managers you literally had no idea what they actually done! I loved the place I worked its beautiful, the staff members I worked with were great and we did make a good team. When I left i handed my notice in, gave the right time worked my notice as you would to then go into another lockdown. Unable to start my new job and the trust will not cancel or re-employ staff members so they can be furloughed which then left me with no income!
Pros
Great team members, working in beautiful countyside, got to take home food going out of date
Cons
Long hours, underpaid, hard to get holidays in, managment
Enjoy the great outdoors Working outdoors in fresh airPreserving historical places for everyone Great team players beautiful countryside Sense of satisfaction when signing up new members
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Good place to work, staff are a great lot, management are friendly and treat you as an equal.Pay is good, and provided you're willing to do the hours, you can take home a hefty paycheck.
It is wonderful to give my time to a worthy charity organisation with like-minded individuals.A typical day at work includes a cross-product group stand-up at 9:30am, a variety of collaborative meetings with both internal & external partners, and think time and analyse analytics data, user research, business requirements and prioritise backlogs given pandemic-related financial constraints.Management is supportive at many levels with a generally positive culture, though the true value of the product role is not always understood and fully appreciated across the wider organisation.The hardest part of the job is coordinating my needs while fitting in to strict scheduled of other teams - this may be an opportunity for multi-way collaborative planning.The best part of the job is watching weekly success through member and supporter donations, bookings, and purchases, while working with a motivated knowledgeable team.
Pros
remote work, free membership, wonderful culture, great values
Cons
role not consistently understood across the organisation, as a charity relies heavily on membership & supporter giving
The support of a large organisation with plenty of further training opportunity and a community where building skills and knowledge is encouraged. Good work life balance with the option of flexible hours.
Pros
free training courses, great community, paid time off to do volunteer work, holiday purchase scheme, good pension scheme.
Cons
small budgets to deliver projects
Fantastic, hardworking team of people who during hardtimes or on busy days would help other departments in a heartbeat. The varied team were inclusive and welcoming from day one. The job itself was very enjoyable and made easy after the amazing customer service training I received. Management was well-organised and caring. Importantly, the trust has an LGBTQ+ Network to support their staff nationwide. Honestly cannot fault a thing, it was a truly wonderful experience.
Pros
Interesting work; reasonable hours; great team
Cons
Outdoor working in all weather's won't suit everyone
A typical day was spent welcoming visors answering telephone, scanning membership cards and taking payments. You would also try and sell memberships which was fairly easy. Management was good but sometimes a little disorganized. Collogues and supervisors were always very helpful.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Job and targets are achievable and the team are amazing. Family type support from team that go above and beyond they really care. Giving to the community is great and volunteers amazing. Training was non existent, unsafe environment, and no support from Managers
Pros
Team spirit and important to look after Heritage sites
Cons
No training, No Manager support, lots of pressure above job discription, High level of abuse at work from public. Told to lie about H&S to help figures.
Supportive culture most people muck in together making it an enjoyable place to work with a lot of variety on offer during the day if that is what you want. Little pressure put on the individual to undertake different duties but opportunities are there. The emphasis is on making the customer experience the best it can be which is only right but plenty of learning events put on for Staff/volunteers too. Can't comment too much on pay and conditions as I am an unpaid volunteer who works alongside paid members of Staff who seem to be driven by the fact they like/love/enjoy their jobs.
Pros
Job variety, no day the same, location
Cons
Many roles unpaid and under review due to COVID
I’ve enjoyed working for the National Trust for over 10 years, it’s a great organisation to work for, you feel you make a real difference. I recommend working for them as they will give generations of people the freedom of open spaces, which is so important for our mental health! They do lots of in house training, regular 1 to 1 and a PDR yearly. You are encouraged to grow within the Trust and there is lots of help to achieve this. You will have to have excellent customer service and be a good team player
Pros
Free membership 20%discount on shop goods and food
Cons
Lack of money for projects needed!
The National Trust is a tough Strict Professional Company to work for who maintain ,exceptional standards and have incredible people working for them which ever section they are in .i was fortunate enough to be a room interpretation atTyntesfield property and the information and support was freely given by every one a lot of high brows a great privelidge down to Earth
Pros
Scenery education in every thing
Cons
Some snotty snotty noses
I thoroughly enjoyed being a Food & Beverage Team Member at Dinefwr Park, National Trust. We worked hard as a team to provide excellent customer service, with a high standard of food and beverages.
  1. Employee reviews