National Trust
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

National Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom517 reviews

Underpaid

Management were only focused on targets, put a lot of pressure on staff. Pay was low compared to other similar venues. No benefits apart from 20% off in shop (which was overpriced).

Face to face , friendly, training. Well organised good managers and staff. Good pay. Recommends to work here. Progress in few years. Helpful and good atmosphere

A good company to work for.

Worked with a wonderful team of like minded people who understood and were passionate about the work they did. This company really looks after their employees.

It’s great to volunteer there!

Fun and exciting! All different positions you can choose from. I was good fun and sometimes it was a drag especially on the rainy day. However when the sun is out and everyone is there the atmosphere is very fun and enjoyable to volunteer.I only stopped due to COVID-19!

Pros

Free lunch, free lances, talking to people, good experience on CV!

Cons

Only weekends and the managers are bad!

Great workplace culture

Lots of flexibility and a good work life balance. Salaries are pretty low given the current market but the trust is a really positive and inclusive place to work where it feels like people generally want to be there. There’s good progression at all levels and always feel trusted to do the job.

Pros

Work life balance and culture

Cons

Salary

National Trust Osterley Park is a great place to work a beautiful parkland with historic buildings and great staff and volunteers.

I learnt a lot about how the National Trust operates and the role of the Rangers who work tirelessly alongside the volunteers to preserve the natural and historic site for all to enjoy.

Pros

Working in a beautiful, natural environment.

Cons

You have to be prepared to work in all weather conditions, enjoy the sunshine and put your waterproof clothing on when the heavens open!

Excellent company

Great experience and great vision would definitely recommend working here not only For the experience but for what they are trying to achieve as a company.

Productive and high demanding

Good pay but stressfulGood colleagues and managers Multi tasking But please aware it is zero hour contract Nice environment Free food and paid rest time

Pros

Free Entry of park

Cons

Zero hour contract

Very good workplace

Pay is very good for my age. Lots of opportunities to develop new skills, especially through volunteering. Management are lovely. Flexible hours. Lovely workplace.

The National Trust

If you love history and intriguing places then the Trust is for you. Salaries are modest as you would expect. Good management and a supportive structure.

Pros

Working in great places

Cons

Modest pay

Loved being a gardener there.

Great team, looked after each other and were all passionate about the job. A proper family. I started as an apprentice and was welcomed immediately and I taught at a really good pace that aided my development perfectly.

A busy but fun place to work

Amazing staff but too many younger staff at weekends who like to stand around chatting.i enjoy the fast pace and the variety of roles.Meeting the customers and have chats with them makes my day

Pros

Enviroment

Cons

Pay

Productive, collaborative, fast-paced environment

Good training opportunities and progression availability. Flexible working hours and national living wage even under the age of 23. Lovely colleagues and surrounded by people who also enjoy working for the organisation.

Pros

Flexible hours Lovely management Good structure

Cons

Limited hours in winter

I loved working for National Trust as it was in a fun team in a beautiful place,learning a lot and with a level of autonomy.

I worked for National Trust a few years ago now and it really inspired to work for a charity protecting the countryside for theing term rather than as a short term mitigation to development. It was fantastic for someone who loves working with people and learning on the job.

Pros

Great management and beautiful places

Cons

Annualised hours i.e. paid part time but extra hours in busy summer season

Okay for a short-period.

Incredibly fast-paced. Small café and as a first job its not really ideal. Good for students though or for people looking for a quick job, not great however.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Lovely location, nice work colleagues.

This is my fifth year working here my main job is the cleaning with some shifts in the cafe. I have found there is no growth within the company if your a cleaner. I have covered some other departments and know what to do but when I applied for the job vacancy in that department. The application was done on a points system and I didn't even get an interview. If your happy to stay where you are it's a good place to work but if you want to progress I wouldn't recommend working here.

Pros

Free entry to National Trust places. Discount in the café and shops.

Cons

A bit of a deadend job, Location hard to get to if you don't drive, Not very good communication be you and line manager

Underpaid, lots of responsibilities that didn't correspond to the role, always working weekends and bank holidays, no breaks.

I used to like working for the Trust until the pandemic showed me the true colors of what was supposed to be a charity. It was just another company that didn't care about their employees, very greedy people that laid off thousands of employees that now is trying to hire new ones but can't fill in the many available roles anymore because their wages are really low, the number of hours not enough to pay your bills and you always have to work on weekends and bank holidays. The managers always try to get rid of their workload giving you tasks that they should be doing. They want extremely qualified people to work for peanuts. It's a good company if you are retired or rich and bored ( so you don't mind working on weekends and all bank holidays) and don't need the wage to pay your bills. Also they have a PDR thing which you have to work hard on to get a ridiculous raise.

Pros

Pension, holidays

Cons

Low wages, too many responsibilities, working all weekends and bank holidays, not enough hours per week to give you a decent income, no breaks.

Stressful, underpaid, overworked and under appreciated.

Poor management, overworked, underpaid, stressful, under appreciated, lack of feeling of worth etc. Under staffed, skill gaps, poor communication, non transparent etc.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Heavy workload Lower salary Under appreciated Lack of transparency

Underpaid and under appreciated

Bullying culture ignored; all the money and credit goes to the managers. Underpaid and under appreciated. Failed to give me my contracted work hours multiple times; dodgy with sick days and holidays.

Fast-Paced Enjoyablenew people every day

Traveling to all the parks and checking them seeing each park and enjoying them. Seeing new locations and people each day nice bunch of character the only issue is the long hours and drives between parks

I cold not answer some of these questions as I worked as a volunteer repairing and building cattle fences around the Estate.

Working as a volunteer was very rewarding and taught me new skills whilst keeping me fit.The head gardener was very knowledgeable and as I had obtained my tractor operating and chainsaw licences I was able to carry out repairs to the fence that required a tractor mounted pile driver.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare National Trust with

• National Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?