National Trust
Happiness score is 62 out of 100

National Trust Employee Reviews

Fantastic places to work in. Wonderful people. Low pay and no job security.

Really amazing places to work within, particularly the bigger outdoor sites. Fascinating landscapes and buildings which you see so much more of than any visitor. Very knowledgeable staff and many useful processes being established but dated IT and office/retail equipment. Very variable management capabilities from site to site. Some are excellent, hands on and really hardworking and thoughtful. Others have limited experience, are hands off and distant, but some how got a job which is beyond their ability.The company has been working through a lot of hard decisions and changes and this has left scars, which is inevitable. Mistakes have been made. They get a lot of bad press, much of which is not deserved and often based on false statements or incorrect association with other organizations. Visitors generally have a great time with a very high return rate. Job satisfaction, if not pay and security, is high. You need people skills far more than degrees. They really should stop hiring graduates with no experience or ability in a business environment.The work can be really intense and requires a lot of energy and dedication, particularly at busy holiday times. It is not a sleepy, slow-paced sinecure, as many think. Seasonal pay and low rates only suit a few people, hence high turnover of staff. If you can afford to work for minimum wage, for short hours for six months a year, with little security in a fascinating and variable environment then this is for you. If you need to pay bills all year round, it may not suit you. Many people end up working two or three jobs to make ends -

Pros

Amazing places to work. Free entry to sites. Great teams. Friendly and supportive staff.

Cons

Seasonal work, low pay, part days, no job security, extra hours at basic rate, high turnover of staff, benefits linked to basic hours.

Chaotic. Political

It was great at first but then people’s feelings got in the way and it became way too political. great place to work for a weekend job but the customers are usually awful and it’s a black hole. Easy to get sucked into and stay there forever

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Poor management. Might not get holiday is short staffed. Long hours without much praise.

Ok

If you don't need to earn money and are a bored rich housewife or retiree, Or living at home with your parents. The National Trust is unreliable hours and you only get them if your willing to do the extra miles that put you out of pocket.

Pros

10 % discount pass

Cons

Not enough to sustain a living

reflections

first introduction brief of the days expectations,collect items necessary needed for days work further from site office.reflection then straight in to .visitor welcome and engagement.mental maths ticket machines and general information and dog health requirements and boundaries of behaviour.The most enjoyable part of the job is the collective chatter and visual activity of people going about their business a good day had by all.later head back up to main office chat cup of tea and debrief.

Pros

collaborative comradeship

Cons

student impact

Busy and understaffed

Temporary work in Norfolk in the cafes and takeaways. No training before on shop floor. Expected to know things without being told or shown how to do it. Constantly on your feet all day. Lunch break were not existent and not encouraged. One rule for management another for front line staff. Felt like a body rather than a person. It was an environment where you are constantly busy not a minute to talk to colleagues. Expection to “ hit the ground running” literally. No room for error. Blame culture. No support from management who didn’t talk to you unless it was to criticise. Such a shame as NT should be doing good work. Staff should be treated the same as the customers with respect. Very high turn over of staff. Never got the benefits they advertise such as free lunch or free entrance.

Pros

Free left over food.

Poor management

Great perks and good salary, nice colleagues. But poor management and pressure when basic support was needed.Currently going through an employment tribunal case for unfair dismissal.

very busy but good pay

Great pay for young people, stressful at times especially during the summer but lovely staff and management. Management was always flexible about shifts, picked up lots of work during summer.

Pros

free lunch, good pay, flexible

Cons

often understaffed

Bad management skills

Day work load easyNice place to work, Beautiful surroundings Team members very friendly Bad management skills, which unfortunately over shadowed everything else.when you are consistently spoken down to it has an effect on you mental heath and your self well being

Pros

No evenings

Lovely place to work

Great place to work. Great gardens which are free and for the local community. All the staff, volunteers and customers were really friendly and supportive, loved working there, would work there again if the opportunity arose.

Pros

Free lunches and refreshments

Fabulous environment

The Trust are a delight to work for can't reccomended them highly enough. Wonderful settings,friendly staff who care and lovely volunteers. Any one with a passion for history and conservation of our nation's treasures should support the trust

Pros

Beautiful buildings, fabulous paid staff and lovely volunteers

Jobs at National Trust

See more jobs

Best job I’ve ever had

I loved my time at the National Trust. It was more like a family. I never dreaded going in. And each day brought new learning and fun. It was honestly my favourite job. And I would love to work for them again. The reason I left was moving away with family.

Pros

Great discount. Free membership. Lovely bonds and friendships made.

Interesting building and collection with varied work

A disappointing work experience by the time I left. Poor communication within the team and very little to no opportunity for professional development, mainly due to extreme levels of micromanagement. The building is incredible and my colleagues, in the same role, were amazing.

Pros

Beautiful location, National Trust pass

Cons

Short hours, poor pay

Great workplace and work culture

Worked last year as part of the seasonal team, in what ended up being a very strange year! Given all that happened, I can't commend The Trust enough for how they dealt with the crisis- we were furloughed, we were consistently kept in the loop via email, we felt involved and part of the team despite being newbies on a seasonal contract. My job role changed dramatically when the site reopened in July; it was still a people-facing role but without the membership sales aspect, and it was hard to provide the usual level of customer service tailored for each customer with all of the restrictions in place. Sometimes it could be a little unstimulating as a result of the site being much quieter than it usually would be (this was mostly due to the bookings-only policy), and that is honestly my only criticism of my time there, which was beyond The Trust's control. Really great managers, excellent colleagues, and just a good feeling working somewhere of such historic interest- I loved talking to visitors about the site, it didn't feel like work most of the time! I'm now in a frontline-worker role, which provides more security and consistent hours, but one day when life returns to normal I would love to work for The Trust again. Highly recommend.

Pros

Free entry to all NT sites for yourself and a +1

Poor

Negative, unsupportive management. Stressed, distant staff. Underpaid co workers, unfair distribution of tasks, very poor training opportunities, over reliance on red tape and health and saftey protocols.Incredibly institutional.Boring, stale environment.Two faced.

Colleagues very friendly

Very friendly colleagues and job that had a sense of purpose and pride. Lovely place to work in general. People friendly environment. Miss working there.

Pros

Friendly colleagues

Fantastic scenery

Generally positive experience working for the this organisation. Most of the staff are very friendly. There did seem to be a lot of grievance cases in some other departments.

Pros

Lots of great outdoor experiences

Cons

Some of the public hate the organisationion

Great firm, great staff

Great place to work, good staff, fantastic location to work invery interesting, meeting new people every day, good challenge trying to hit your membership target, great feeling when you do.

Pros

Free membership

Cons

Working in all weather

Rewarding work but rubbish pay

I love my job for the NT but the pay is awful. Everyone who works there is so passionate about what they do, but you can’t pay your bills with passion. Far too many fixed term contracts and the interview process it gruelling for such low paid roles. I’m incredibly lucky to have done this job, but relied heavily on savings to volunteer then take a low paid role, as I found, was the case for many people.

Pros

Incredibly interesting

Cons

Terrible pay

It was fun and relaxing

I absolutely loved working at the Souter light house they where very friendly very flexible and would bend over backwards to meet me and my family needs wish I could rerun hear

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Not what i thought working for the national trust would be like

Over worked and underpaid, working for the Trust you would think your doing your part for a good charity but that is not the case, they are at the end of the day just another company with targets. Working in a small tearoom without the right amount of staff members meant for very stressful days, struggling to get lunch breaks. Most managers being just about useless, some managers you literally had no idea what they actually done! I loved the place I worked its beautiful, the staff members I worked with were great and we did make a good team. When I left i handed my notice in, gave the right time worked my notice as you would to then go into another lockdown. Unable to start my new job and the trust will not cancel or re-employ staff members so they can be furloughed which then left me with no income!

Pros

Great team members, working in beautiful countyside, got to take home food going out of date

Cons

Long hours, underpaid, hard to get holidays in, managment

Great staff and visitors. Great outdoors

Enjoy the great outdoors Working outdoors in fresh airPreserving historical places for everyone Great team players beautiful countryside Sense of satisfaction when signing up new members

Pros

Job satisfaction

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement