Nationwide Building Society
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews

United Kingdom806 reviews

Very lovely colleagues and management Pay is fairly good And good bonus I would recommend it as a good place to work. And if you are local even better

Bad management and toxic work culture

Worked for Nationwide for around a year and a half. Absolutely zero support from managers, my manager was so horrible to me and the other managers always felt very cold and disconnected. No support when it came to difficult phone calls. I was left by myself to make a phone call to the police after a serious and concerning call with a member. Nobody bothered to ask if I was ok. Constantly abused on the phone, company says you don't have to take the abuse, but they soon change their tune when a complaint is written. Members will ask to speak to a manager, but managers will vary rarely take over a call, it's normally left to the support team, who will only take very specific calls, so most of the time you're trying to deal with calls that a manager should be dealing with. Very fast paced, some days you'll have upwards of 300 people in the queue. They are very hot on adhering to your schedule, which sounds perfectly acceptable, until a difficult call runs into your break or lunch, which means if you take your full break or lunch, you're break will then run into phone time and this will flag up as you 'not working'. A lot of people would skip breaks or have shorter lunches as they would penalise and call out people who had low schedule adherence. Some people have a great experience working there, as long as you're in the right department and have a decent manager. I'd probably say most of the call centre jobs, which is where I worked, will be pretty similar.

Pros

Decent hours and job security

Cons

Management, culture and difficult or abusive calls

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness

Very busy role, however can be fun and nationwide cares so much about employee wellbeing

Nationwide is a very busy place with lots to learn. However new opportunities to grow are always available and branch managers support their staff so well, and always go out of their way to help. Wages could be higher however they aren’t the worst. Teams are like a second family and are great. So much to learn though, new processes and changes.

Pros

Great work family and development opportunities

Cons

Busy days, lots of changes and short staffed

Very supportive employers

The thing I loved about nationwide is how much they promoted and encouraged sharing positive encounters with members throughout the day, I found it really helped boost morale and made everyone want to work hard to achieve a good success story about going the extra mile.

Pros

Support from senior managers

Cons

Having to start half an hour early than paid hours start

Not too bad

This company is fairly ok to work for- staff are really nice and most managers too. There is so much to learn though and systems are old and clunky. Branches are always short staffed and you won’t leave on time! Lots of verbal thanks from higher up but not much else - those in high up positions don’t really understand the pressure on branch staff. Job security is good however.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Expect a lot, low wage

A potemkin village where not all is as it seems.

This organization talks the talk quite loudly especially about things such as legendary service, empathy & advanced technology. Yet it is all fake upon closer inspection. It's a very bad call centre that belongs in the early 90s/00s and you are nothing but a payroll number. You have to utilize an endless amount of systems which half the time don't work or work badly. The "management" are either non existent, unavailable or have utter contempt & disregard for their cattle. There "adherence" policy is complete insanity. You get penalized for logging in early. You get penalized for logging in late even by a minute. You get penalized by not taking the exact scheduled breaks to the second even if you are on a call. You are notified of this by a message sent to the Qlite app or by one of the "managers" who were not their to help with a query but magically appear to spam your statistics in Microsoft teams naming and shaming you in front of everyone for being even 1% below expectations. Everything is completely intrusive. The scariest thing is everyone acts as though this is not only normal but perfectly acceptable. The worst and most soul destroying part is the inability to service their amazing and wonderful members. The members were an absolute delight to talk to and help as much as possible. However due to the complete lack of support, respect, systems this was sometimes an impossible task. If you are desperate or are sociopathic and can turn off your emotions with added sycophant for good measure you might be able to make something out this living nightmare. Otherwise -

Not recommended.

I lasted a few months back in 2019 until I was forced to resign unfairly due to lack of training.This is the reason their turnover is so high, poorly trained then expected to perform miracles, on the phones with irate customers... there's much better jobs out there, not worth the stress they put you through.

Ethical and progressive company to work for

An inclusive workplace with great culture, I'd recommend. You get out what you put in, if you work hard and drive your development you have great opportunities especially now you can work from home, geography isn't an issue.

Flexible hours during the 35 hour weekLovely office environmentSupportiveEnjoyed learning new processes and systemsOnly left because I relocated and the commute was too far but really enjoyed working there would highly recommend

Pros

Free parking buses available and restaurant on site

Cons

Car parks can get very busy if you don't arrive early in the morning

Not worth it

Got through two weeks training, was then immediately let go because my equipment didn't arrive and I couldn't take calls. Be careful, they are very two-faced

Good work life balance

This is my second stint in Nationwide and I can say one thing for sure that they look after their employees, but one thing that hasn't changed in over 10 years here is the management style. There are so many managers and so many people that have to agree on taking any decision that it takes extremely long any making any meaningful progress.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Management Style, lot of red tape

good company

Great management, good benefits. Opportunities to develop and learn new things. Pension benefits are great work life balance is good. Management cares about your well-being.

Pros

great facilities

Cons

nothing

False ethics - sell sell sell

Considering the low salary, there is far too much pressure on lower-level customer-facing staff within branches. Too many verbal "thank yous" from senior management who are seemingly comfy at home and have no idea about the environment in which we work in. Appalling branch management who belittle their staff when they don't hit targets that apparently don't exist and are not part of Nationwide's core values. With these targets, that don't exist, management drive sales through their branch staff in a manner that I would describe as passive-aggressive. There is no feeling of mutuality. Branch team members are at the bottom of the pile, in a pool of negativity that has trickled it's way down from above.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Pressure and lack of progression.

Stressful and hard work.

Depending on what you are used too, Nationwide expects a lot from its trainee's. The amount you are expected to learn within the probationary period is extreme. Depending on your manager, you may be expected to memorise verbatim what they say. As well as handle your cash and till. My colleague are lovely very willing to help, my manager though, i think expected too much too soon. Interacting with the customers was my favourite part. Yes some are difficult, it will always be that way when you are customer facing. U

Dreadful Culture and Management

Complete lack of respect for mental poor health and Neurodivergence / Difference. They constantly use nonsense jargon. The managers are mostly pretty dim.

Community and People orientation

Good progression lots of people who shouldn’t have been in the business was able to constantly be recycled. Good pay and rewards certainly up to 2015.

Fab

Love it very goood staff and working environment thank you I’ve enjoyed my time here over the last few years but due to the pandemic I now work from home

Member Rep - branch based

Overall its a good company with good training for new starts. Role is varied but is primarily customer service based with some admin and banking duties. However managements main focus is on how many referals you get for the consultants. This can be very pressurising at times, although they regularly remind you there is no "selling" involved and they do not do "targets".

Pros

Decent pension, paid sick days, paid charity days and good HR

Cons

Can be difficult at times to get days off you want, sometimes working 6 days a week for over a month at a time and being owed your days off.

na

nationwide is a very fair place to work. It has great work life balance; as long as not in call centre as this rotational shifts.. Job progression is average. On my 3rd role within company in 5.5 years.

Fab company

Moving with the times great place too work supportive team members and managers, really promote good work life balance. The company offers fab incentives and great benefits

Pros

Work from home

Fast paced

Many systems to learn fast paced and stressful at timesUnder pressure at busy times, some not very pleasant customersWill learn a lot in a short space of time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement