Nationwide Building Society
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews

progressioncentretargetbranchsocietyrolecanteenswindon

Great employer

Plenty of opportunities for work progression. A very caring employer that provides support when needed. Yearly bonuses. Only down side is some management isn’t great/reliable.

Great People To Work For..

Lovely people to work for. I just couldn't handle working from home unfortunately. Lots of support from the company. Wages could be better. But people couldn't be nicer !

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Slow pace but good work life balance

Having worked at NBS cince early 2021 I have seen some changes mainly due to a new CEO and leadership team and it feels like more change is coming to help modernise. My team has a good manahger and a good worklife balance, salary lower than market average, but only by about 5%-7%

Pros

Work Life Balance, good team, good office in London

Cons

Slow Pace, poor management in other areas, too much duplication

Amazing place

The culture at this job is really good, everyone is so lovely and had made me feel welcome since I started, such a good company, especially the support they give!

Fairly average. Relatively good for finance but still not great.

For a financial services business it's not bad - being a mutual building society helps. Many people there seem to genuinely care about the customers/members. They're certainly doing a lot less bad than the financial sector on average. However, the culture and atmosphere are still not great - very narrow-minded and narrowly educated management, lots of BS admin and posing. Tensions in teams and problems in communication do not get resolved actively. Overall not a very inspiring or progressive company at all. They pay ok-ish and the work-life balance and benefits are fairly good.

Pros

Benefits, work-life balance

Cons

Rigid and narrow-minded big-corporate culture

Great job, promotion dependent upon interview

Great job, wonderful work life balance. Promotion very much depends on 'playing the game' or having a relationship with the interviewer. Hard to progress without becoming a robot.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Progression for favourites

Fast paced, and slightly stressful, but a great team to work with

Handled inbound calls. Thankfully they weren't too concerned with call lengths, so long as you did everything you needed to do to help the customer. Call marking is a thing, so make sure you follow compliance!

A place for assertive and patient people. Good place for working parents. flexible schedule

The company including the management, I might just been lucky to have a very caring manager and operations manager, because I only have words of praise for them. They were always there to find ways to help me out especially regarding my shift as I am with a 5 years old that time. It is the entitled customers, insulting and no education customers that make life hard at work. But the culture, colleagues, diversity and inclusion, policies, the management and the way Nationwide find ways to make their employees happy and cared for at work they are all good!

Job Security and able to Grow

Great company to work for, job security, space to progress and grow, internal opportunities, fast paced, typical hours, some saturday working hours.

Invest alot in employees

In my short time at Nationwide I found that they invest alot in their employees & they offer a very good work/ home life balance yet given the size of the teams it was difficult to form good relationships especially as my position was home based & couldn't see a future with them. Also the work was repetitive & I didn't receive the best training

Overall good first job/experience

You will gain lots of skills to move forward with here such as time of voice, dealing with customers, problem solving and fast paced environment however development opportunities are slim so I wouldn’t recommend as a career, more a development opportunity as a first job. Wage is not great however you do get small yearly bonuses dependant on whether the high management believe the company can afford it. With my experience however, the management was fantastic and really supportive. I would also say that the full time shifts are not convenient at all if you enjoy your weekends and evenings.

Lovely place to work

Training is really excellent and everyone is very supportive. The company benefits such as the pension is great. The is lots of room to advance your career even if you work from home.

Good place to work.

Good place to work, systems can be slow and very dated. Not much movement for development opportunities. Overall stable workplace and good benefits overall.

Pros

Work life balance.

Cons

Low pay

Fantastic place to work, with friendly staff and great onsite facilities.

Overall I would rate Nationwide as being in my top 5 of companies to work for. I have had and shared some fantastic times at Nationwide and would not hesitate recommending Nationwide to anyone who is looking at a career in Banking. A*

Overall good company

The people are great and there is a lot of opportunity for advancement. The shifts can get really busy and dealing with multiple customers in one go can prove stressful. Especially for multi skilled employees. Great support but can feel a bit isolated.

Pros

Support, nice colleagues

Cons

Stressful, fast paced, high workload

Good first job, but wouldn't recommend working if you like your weekends and evenings!

I worked at Nationwide for 3yrs, working in the call center for 1yr and from home for 2yrs. I learned at Nationwide the basic customer service skills which was good as this was my first job. The management team were varied, my manager was very supportive but on leave often, so there was frequently covering managers who didn't support you and gave unrealistic targets for you to meet. The culture in the office was good and social interaction with your team, manager and other colleagues. The hardest parts of the job were as follows: Development - there was no opportunities, unless you were well liked by the manager of the training team you were not considered even if you had more experience than others hired. Hours - these frequently changed, working from 8am - 8pm, working weekends. When I initially started it was 2x Sats a month, this changed to 3x Sats & Suns a month. The rotas also were only released 4wks in advance. Holiday - varied dependent on skillset, if you did more than one this made it harder to book, also had to book weekends & days separately. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, but this very much changed during the pandemic when people started working from home.

Pros

Good pay, good first job to learn customer service skills.

Cons

Hours, shift and weekend working, expected to be upskilled quickly, frequent system issues working from home, holiday booking difficult.

Member Representative

I worked at a good store but the store I transferred to was a shambles and didn't even follow guidelines and was very much pushy sales which I felt was disgusting from both an employee and customer perspective.

Amazing colleagues, tough work for low pay

My experience is working as a "multi-skilled" MR, which basically means you have to do multiple jobs at once for the pay of one job, which can include things such as answering tens of phonecalls per day whilst also dealing with many members face to face and an ever increasing pile of paperwork.The base pay is shocking when you consider how much you are expected to do. The only benefit that people consistently use is the pension as others end up costing you a large amount. Realistically, for a person with so much responsibility and pressure, both from management and the public, you would expect more compensation.The colleagues and immediate management are all wonderful people which is what makes the job worth doing, but that will no doubt vary from branch to branch. If you like a challenge then this job is for you as many a member will present issues which you have not come across before.

Pros

Good pension plan, nice coworkers, flexible uniform

Cons

Low pay, many responsibilities, occational 6 day weeks, computers are awful and crash constantly

High expectations

It has taken me a long time to be open with myself about this. At first it seems to be all benefits: good training, pension, friendly team, clean branch, progression opportunity. But it doesn’t take long for the cracks to show. Management are bullies or competing to get to the next level of power. Unrealistic expectations, in order to get a pay rise you have to fill out an essay on what you have done and then rate yourself. There are no ‘targets’ yet how many appointments you’ve booked or products opened is counted on an excel sheet each month. No support when receiving abuse by customers. When Covid hit, they made branch staff take Head Office calls and reduced branch hours, with very minimal training, then further abuse from ‘members’ across the country. The final straw for me was being publicly humiliated for being off with a fever and a cough (Jan 2020) which reflecting now could have been covid. I was told in my back to work that I should’ve come in and tried to work, then be sent home and that I didn’t put in 100%. This was done during opening hours in the branch in front of the whole team. The only reason I stayed longer was because I enjoyed who I worked with, it did feel like a family.

Safe company

This is a good place to get that financial experince from. A good employer that will look after your needs with a good pension, work benefits and job security

Stressful

chose to leave due to it being too stressful with rude customers and ridiculous kpis to meet. Super micro managed, get asked what you are doing by management if you were to even go to the toilet or if you are having to write up a complaint for customer, if you are not on the phone non stop you get questioned about it. Pay is good but needs to be because it’s stressful. Met some really lovely people working there, everyone seems nice and everyone has it in common that they don’t like working on the phones.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement