Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews

I got approached to start a job here straight after I'd finished uni and took it as I needed some money. The training was okay, but there was a fair bit of self learning needed as some of the information was outdated. Overall, managers try and do their best, but it's clear head office doesn't care about the Sheffield branch and employee care lacks because of this. People were constantly going off sick with stress, shift patterns change weekly, and a lot of people feel underpaid for the work they're expected to do, and feel pressured to keep Nationwides good reputation. There is a yearly bonus depending on company performance, but that is the extent of any perks (no canteen, no gym, etc - unlike other branches)If you would like a monotonous role where you're constantly getting insulted by the general public, your mental health is disregarded, and you aren't wanting to progress in a career, then this job is ideal.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Poor employee care, lack of budget, lack of progression, low salary.
Have no complaints! Best company to work for, took great care of us as employees - never felt uneasy Fantastic career programme and development support and they really invest in their people
Pros
Working hours, development
Cons
A good company to work for with opportunities after experience ie: number of years in the industry. Otherwise a wonderful company, good work ethics, lovely team support.
Pros
Very good company to be with.
Cons
Low salary
It's a great place to work in my experience, the culture is very people orientated and I certainly had a good working life balance. There is ample opportunity to grow and develop and the space in which to do so. They do expect you to work hard, but I found that this was recognised and good work was praised and rewarded. Flexible working and the ability to work from home if necessary meant I could adjust my hours or working location to fit in with my family whilst still working full time.
Pros
Flexibility, Good benefits
Easily the most cutthroat working environment I've ever been in, trained for a little over 2 weeks and if you mess up once, no warnings; you're out.Mostly everyone was unhappy with the training, and once we were done being unhappy with that; the job gave us something new to hate, so if you love to hate this job is the one for you!
Pros
Working from home.
Cons
Shift patterns are all over the place 8-4's, 9:30-5:30's, 12-8's; only told two weeks in advance, poor pay for the stress that goes with the role, trainers don't care etc.
Job security, welcoming colleagues and great management. Great place to start working and stable job to begin your career. Safe place and environment especially during Covid. Get to learn lots of new things which will benefit you in the future.
Pros
Great support
Cons
Internal opportunities
Nationwide really looks after its employees, both from a career aspect and their own personal welfare. Salary and benefits reflect well for the job.
Digital Services is fast paced and spent a few years being suppressed in regards to pay because they wanted to make the call centre more attractive. Pay is now matched as the recognise Digital is more fast paced and can be more stressful than the call centre. The culture and managers are overall good. Things can often be missed/forgotten so you need to be persistent and they’re mostly good at taking on suggestions and new ideas.Advancement is possibly within Digital in regards to what you can learn to work on in addition to your original role but this doesn’t come with more pay until you’ve been there 1 year. There are internal roles you can apply for are aimed at colleagues who have the knowledge about how the business works and the systems used.Working remotely is in place and the support structures are mostly in place for those working from home but there can still be some issues. They just need to be raised and don’t let them be forgotten about by management.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, very good pension offer
Cons
Digital hours are 8am-8pm every day (including many bank holidays)
Everything mentioned in the job application and interview process was a lie to get me in, there is no benefits to working at this place, they rush you through training to upskill you in things that will make you so stressed and always busy and never have time to take a break and if so you will always be late, management don’t know what they are doing and can honestly say it is one of the most unfair workplaces.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Weekend work, bad teams, not heard from management, rushed training.
As a contractor was effectively told to 'know my place' - such a shame given I was very experienced in what the team was doing, but used to do a minor task. Not bothered about the minor task - I took the role, but they really don't make the best use of people and they don't listen.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Nationwide Building Society?
The culture, the environment, people, and how you are treated as an employee is wonderful. The only thing is, you have to keep up with figures. New rules or systems goes live and you get notified only by email. It is stressful when it is very busy as customers become mean to you when they wait just to know their balance. Seriously?!there are calls that we shouldn't be taking especially when it is a credit like salary, benefits because if it is not in the account it is not there they need to contact the sender of the credit. We just receive it and we are happy to receive it. Well, it will only be on hold if the account received a very big sum of money when the highest credit the account receives is his salary or benefits.we need to check if the money is fraudulent or laundered.
Pros
You can book only hours of holiday to finish early or start late
Cons
you have to know everything, no proper call routing, lots of rude, racist customers.
Nationwide prides itself in empowering employees to push their boundaries with their exceptional training programmes and view to make each employee valued and appreciated! They strive as an organisation to make you learn and grow at your pace to really exceed your own limitations
Pros
An all round amazing place to be
Cons
None... You make it work for you
Started working for Nationwide beginning 2017 as a temporary employee. I was made permanent in 2018. Really good management. Worked my way up to an underwriter job role.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Targets but these are relatively easy
I worked in the mortgage new business department as a temp, having never worked in this type of setting before I did find it very fast paced and quite stressful.You are given minimum training and thrown out to either sink or swim.There are dedicated colleagues on the ‘shop floor’ there to help however I was given different advice from different colleagues which didn’t help. Some individuals were quite condescending. My manager was very stand-offish and considering he knew I was struggling didn’t help. After a couple of months I was let go. They appear simply to be results driven as opposed to investing in their employees to bring out the best in them. Perhaps it was because I was a temp? I’m sure this doesn’t reflect the company overall.
Pros
They have an excellent staff canteen with varied and tasty food though!
Cons
Stressful. If your face fits you will be fine!
Having to log out of your phone to go to the toilet which affects your targets, regardless of whether you are male or female (potential time-of-the-month), dodgy stomach, feeling sick etc.Phones have to be in lockers due to security reasons, yet team leaders and managers are allowed them, the same goes for internet access which was NOT always work related!! Being made to feel bad when off sick even though I have a critical illness.Awful shift management....I could go on.......
Pros
Hometime
Cons
Looks great on the outside, inside its very outdated, wasteful and toxic, misogyny, bullying and politics rule. I've heard things discussed in senior management that I didn't expect to hear outside of a dark humour sitcom or school playground.
Branch politics and unprofessional attitudes. Managers are not as competent as they need to beManagers only pay attention to their favorites. Very high staff turnover due to lack of training for new staffs
Pros
Laid back environment
Cons
Stressful, staff arguments, toxic environment
Nationwide pride themselves on treating their customers well and being the no.1 financial provider of choice; unfortunately the same cannot be said if working for them as a contractor. They will not hesitate to cancel the contract without notice...still waiting for the “personal” call to explain their actions. Very poor communication generally, staff welfare was not a priority.
Pros
As a contractor I received a good salary.
Cons
As a contractor I felt I was a “second class citizen”, consistently undervalued, stressful.
The amount of grief you got by customers on a day-to-day basis was ridiculous, if you aren’t strong minded, you might struggle. Only benefit is the amount of breaks you have and the option to go to another department. If you drive it’s easy to get there but if not, there’s very few buses that come round moulton park in Northampton past 5 so if you were on a 10-6 or 12-8 you’ll find it difficult getting home. They train you well for the job but not how you get treated by customers. I joined a couple of years ago with 9 other people and I must say, at least 6 people left before me and we all had the same view as me. Stressful job majority of the time but you do get good days.
Pros
Breaks, food quality is good and the people, training
Cons
Management, not worth the money, hard place to get to without a car
Virtually no prospects. Nepotistic double standards prevail in an under paid culture which expects accuracy and quality set to unrealistic task schedules. Performance recognition substituted for 'competency based' stories with no validity other than story telling conviction.
Pros
A job
Cons
Stress
I had torturous time in this company. Company has no openminded approach for ideas. Filled with stale managers who stay for more than 25years stop people growing, it's a well with frogs who've just been learning from people who join from other companies. They never go out. The security team folks don't stay long, they like to move away. The systems are bad. Unbelievably red tape oriented. Managers who shout at people, raise voice, this was never taken seriously by the HR. In the end I had to leave.
Pros
Building
Cons
People, Gym, Canteen exorbitant