Nationwide Building Society
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews in Bournemouth

Bournemouth67 reviews

progressioncentretargetbranchsocietyrolecanteenswindon

Relaxed environment but below industry pay!

A relaxed environment with comfortable workloads, development opportunities and new roles can be limited also. Unfortunately the biggest drawback is the below industry and market salaries and salary ranges.

Pros

Homeworking

Cons

Dated IT

High expectations

It has taken me a long time to be open with myself about this. At first it seems to be all benefits: good training, pension, friendly team, clean branch, progression opportunity. But it doesn’t take long for the cracks to show. Management are bullies or competing to get to the next level of power. Unrealistic expectations, in order to get a pay rise you have to fill out an essay on what you have done and then rate yourself. There are no ‘targets’ yet how many appointments you’ve booked or products opened is counted on an excel sheet each month. No support when receiving abuse by customers. When Covid hit, they made branch staff take Head Office calls and reduced branch hours, with very minimal training, then further abuse from ‘members’ across the country. The final straw for me was being publicly humiliated for being off with a fever and a cough (Jan 2020) which reflecting now could have been covid. I was told in my back to work that I should’ve come in and tried to work, then be sent home and that I didn’t put in 100%. This was done during opening hours in the branch in front of the whole team. The only reason I stayed longer was because I enjoyed who I worked with, it did feel like a family.

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Nationwide are a solid outfit and on the whole deliver good service to members. Support with external qualifications has been given + management very understanding of personal goals/home life

Pros

Good initial training, good sense of team spirit between departments, management, annual pay reviews

Cons

Can't afford to live

I worked in the Debt department . Helping people with their Mortgage Debt. The staff and managers were great and always kind. I found the training to be a bit uninformative for the real job. we spent 4 weeks learning on powerpoint and paper, but never actually got to use the software until we came into the job. This made it difficult for a-lot of us as the things we learnt in the first week had pretty much gone out of our heads due to the amount we had learnt.It was mainly inbound calls and occasionally out bound depending on the rota. The first weeks were really stressful for a lot of people .After a few weeks you get used to the software and understand the best way to set up your pc .Sometimes I wish we could do more for the people who are really struggling, but we have to stick to a set time which can be frustrating.The pay is great and the staff are good. You get a lot of breaks and free drinks.

Pros

free drinks, good pay, good breaks.

Cons

Stessfull work, sometimes late nights, no support for people who really need help, poor training

Nice place

It’s a great place to work as long as your productivity is to the standard they require. The training is excellent as long as you can stay in the area you started with, they can move you to a different department even if you feel it might not be right for you (no choice in the matter). You get free coffee etc. but the cafeteria can be pricey. There is a lot of pressure when working and everything is time oriented which means if you’re a little slow they will question you about it and that can be the end of you working there.

Pros

Friendly co-workers

Cons

Pressure, management

Best employer

Started working for Nationwide beginning 2017 as a temporary employee. I was made permanent in 2018. Really good management. Worked my way up to an underwriter job role.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Targets but these are relatively easy

Oppressive targets and working environment

Virtually no prospects. Nepotistic double standards prevail in an under paid culture which expects accuracy and quality set to unrealistic task schedules. Performance recognition substituted for 'competency based' stories with no validity other than story telling conviction.

Pros

A job

Cons

Stress

good for beginners

Good opportunity for people who wants to start job in financial institution. Jobs are not too difficult and always someone to help. Quite relaxed and easy going team leaders.

Productive and stress-free workplace

good company, full training provided, management looking after employee, casual dress code allowed, friendly people, good working hours, career development possibilities.

Pros

Friendly workplace, In-site canteen, Mon-Friday

Cons

salary a bit low

Don't work here unless you're at rock bottom

As a mortgage administrator you get roughly £300 a week for a 9-5. (Some opportunity for flexible working but not guaranteed). Targets are impossibly high. Every piece of work you do is timed and you have to log everything you do. They allocate an average time for each task eg a phone call is worth three minutes if youre on the phone and it takes 20 minutes because you can't just hang up tough. You then get behind the unachievable target and have to explain to your managers why you're a failure. No sick pay until youre perm as apparently you're self employed not a temp, which doesn't happen often so you have to use holiday pay which you accrue as you work if you're sick. No job security as they hire mostly temps for entry level jobs. Avoid at all costs

Pros

Free coffee when machine not broken. V

Cons

No sick pay temp v perm mentality, Add responsibilities for the same pay, Targets stupid high, Most benefits are for perm

Great employer offering excellent security

If you're prepared to work hard there is a job for life for you at Nationwide. They offer a reasonable level of career progression but, can be very flexible when it comes to work life balance.

Good Company to Work

Nationwide is a good company to work. I learned a lot, great people, great environment. Managers are approachable. Good shifts, and good company culture.

Cons

Salary for the amount of work and responsibility given

Overall good employer

Great culture, with lots of focus on our wellbeing. It can be a very fast-paced environment to work in which is both good and bad at times. Progression can be slow as there's lots of competition (a large marketing department).

Proof Team

You are just a number, support is a myth. Extremely poorly paid, poor managers are the majority with the nice ones silenced. Don't work here, if you value your souls.

Hidden hourly rate £7.87

Your actual hourly rate will be £7.87 because you will be stuck within your 35 hours per week with no available overtime. Most jobs offer 40 hours per week. You will be manipulated, squeezed then trashed like a lemon from management

Good Job and environment to work in.

Good place to work and very good benefits to work for the company. everyone is very friendly to each other so makes it enjoyable to wake up and go into in the mornings.

Pros

Good breaks and lunches, also good pension scheme.

Cons

Doesnt pay enough

Awful, dire company, atmosphere, managers and ''culture''

I worked in the call centre, taking inbound calls from quite often angry and downright rude and nasty TMW/UCB Home loan mortgage members of the public who were in arrears.Two obligatory hours of outbound machine-dialler calling destroyed our souls- the public were chased repeatedly (3 times per telephone number you have!) Managers were cliquey, lazy (always in ''meetings'') and would gossip and betray anything you told them privately (ie. mental health issues; personal stuff, etc) There was NO room at all for advancement but plenty of room for sucking up to these vacuous wastes of oxygen. I wouldn't so got moved to another team. Personal time was 10mins a day, and boy do you have to justify it if you need longer for any medical/health issue. What I learned? Don't sell your soul for money, have self respect and remember who you are- not some moron for inadequate, stupid and arrogant/insecure managers.

Pros

Clocking off

Cons

Trash management, salary, calls

Poor management to overlooked and overworked staff

They constantly ask for ways to improve, but nothing is taken forward since they don't like change. Very little chance to progress, since managers want to keep you in your place. Had on average 8 minutes to work a case, so if you had a difficult one you immediately fell behind and the managers would monitor your progress throughout the day and be on your back, sending you concerning emails. My manager had even called me out infront of our team to explain myself for 91% productivity. When we raised a concern about being pushed too hard, targets were raised HIGHER from 55 to 60 per day. My manager was appalling and had 3-4 complaints put against him for the way he spoke to his staff and being so incompetent at his job. Taking credit for your work (removing your name off documents), and sending threatening emails about not performing well enough when you are hitting your target.

Pros

Since teams change every month due to people quitting, you meet lots of people

Cons

Underpaid, poor management, customers arent put first

Good environment

Chasing customers on payments on mortgages, checking on accounts in errors, statements, getting help for people asking in need, payments, arranging visits

Pros

good working hours

Cons

high stress

Toxic Environment

If you're the type of person who enjoys being yelled at by members of the public and getting no support from your managers then this is the job for you. I consistently hit my targets (call quality over 90%, over 60 calls a day, never in wrap too long) only to be told to basically shut up and get back on the phone whenever I tried to do anything for my own development and for my team's benefit. Frequently had tasks taken from me and given to other people in the team who would then be praised for it - definite favouritism from managers. One time I put myself into wrap mid-afternoon to run to the loo and came back a minute later to managers at my desk demanding why I hadn't gone at lunch (I had). Was told to stop helping new colleagues who sat around me because 'that's what the team seniors are for', when they were never around/available to begin with. Had one particularly horrific call that ended with me being escorted to a meeting room and given a dressing down for giving out information we were told to give out. Colleagues in other departments frequently didn't want to help you, which left you in the position of being screamed at by a dissatisfied customer. I did voluntary weekend overtime with an admin team and was denied the chance to move to their team properly as they 'needed me on the phone'. Absolutely no room or support for development if your manager didn't like you. Ended up getting signed off for a month as I was going into the toilets at the end of the day and sobbing and was phoned every week to ask when I'd be back. My teammates were the only thing -

Pros

Canteen, nice toilets

Cons

No support, lack of development opportunities, horrible environment to work in

Productive environment

Working at Nationwide was rewarding and good work was well recognised. Good professional and social balance, however towards my fourth year management standards had dropped and motivation began to be lost around staff.

Pros

Large well recognised company

Cons

Performance reviews were less regular than stated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement