Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society Reviews in Dunfermline

Dunfermline38 reviews

progressioncentretargetbranchsocietyrolecanteenswindon

Fine

Eight calls per month are listened to. Constantly receiving feedback and being told to improve. Lack of support from some managers. Training was rushed and completed on Microsoft teams.

Fast paced, and slightly stressful, but a great team to work with

Handled inbound calls. Thankfully they weren't too concerned with call lengths, so long as you did everything you needed to do to help the customer. Call marking is a thing, so make sure you follow compliance!

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

It's a Call Centre so leave your life at the door.

Terrible place to work, very much a place for kids straight out of school who are on the same rubbish salary as a 50 year old i.e. £18500 pa. To say this place is "Cliquey" is an understatement. Useless management who talk to you as if you're a child, plus no chance of EVER getting promoted. Full of people who love other folk's drama. Sure, there are some good people there, but overall it is a place where if your face fits & you like Love Island, then you're part of the culture.

Pros

Free drinks machine

Cons

Horrendous shifts.

na

nationwide is a very fair place to work. It has great work life balance; as long as not in call centre as this rotational shifts.. Job progression is average. On my 3rd role within company in 5.5 years.

Awful workplace

Managers heads are so far up their own back sides that they can’t see what’s going on around them. All they care about is stats. They preach about mental health but in reality, they couldn’t care. Unless you’re willing to sacrifice your mental well-being, don’t work here.

Supportive workplace. Family orientated

Really supportive colleagues. Hard work but there’s support when you need it. Family and people orientated so if you need time off to deal with family emergency, that comes first.

Pros

Great bunch of colleagues

Cons

Pay doesn’t reflect the work and there’s no progression if you’re based in Scotland.

Not a good place to work whatsoever

Your co-workers are nice to you in the job but when you’re not around they really aren’t people I’d be “friends with outside the job”. The management claim they are supportive for you under any circumstance when really they are not. You ask for any kind of help and they ask you questions about your questions rather than help you figure out a better way to solve your issue. I.e. “have you checked this? Have you checked that? Basically talk down to you as if they’re better than you when really they’re just on a power trip due to their job title. Would HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO NOT APPLY FOT A JOB WORKING HERE!!!!!!

Pros

Only pro here is that you have a drink machine that gives you water or diluting juice for free

Cons

Long hours and management pretty much a joke!

Such a fun place to work and very laid back.

Absolutely love working for Nationwide it's self and the management are superb. My role has completely changed to being a telephony based call centre which is not what I joined for. I would love to to continue my career with nationwide however there's now a very small route for progression and the role and has went back years with leaving video to do telephony due to covid. The pay isn't the greatest and your are expected to do a lot within your role but the benefits are superb with a industry leading pension, full sick pay for upto 6 months and management are very flexible. As they say all good things must come to an end it's just a shame it's came now. If you are looking for a fun, exciting and rewarding job a Personal Banking Manager is no longer that but If you don't mind a back to back call centre vibe, set breaks and a different work pattern to your team but for a company that look after you and support you then you'd be more than welcomed.

Pros

Flexible, benefits, good management.

Cons

Not much scope for progression and a monotonous role.

Supportive and inclusive workplace

Nationwide really looks after its employees, both from a career aspect and their own personal welfare. Salary and benefits reflect well for the job.

Awful

Do not ever get a job here, they do not care about your health or wellbeing at all. I was let go due to them hiring too much staff but they used the excuse of my 3 day absence as an excuse so when applying for new jobs its harder. Your expected to do a stressful and tiring job which really does take a toll on your mental health and they have absolutely no support system to support employees.

worst job i've had

managers will not help you no matter what you do, a customer could be on the phone screaming but the manager will refuse to take over the call because it's too much effort for them

Pros

nothing

Cons

very long shifts

Great place to be

Really enjoyed working within a fast pace environment that can change in the blink of an eye. If you are looking for a challenge then this is the place to be. You will deal with general enquiries from your team to help members, coach, hold 121s and deal with attendance. Organisation is key, and there is lots of support from colleagues and the operations leaders.

Pros

Work life balance, great benefits, friendly colleagues, lots of different departments to work in.

Cons

Upper management communication is not the best, and very rarely seen.

Friendly & Helpful

Training could have been a bit more thorough but everyone helpful, made some good friends at my time there Good environment good cafe facilities Spoke to many different clients GDPR is a must in this role

Stressful and very little help

So when joining NW i was already off to a bad start because they kept mucking me around and last minute tried to say i didn't have the job after me handing my notice in from my last job and them sending my contract. This all happened on the Friday and i was due to start the Monday so without a job you could imagine how stressed i was. Not 1 person i had on my interview was with me on my first day of actual work. So anyhow the training was rushed to learn all the different systems and you were basically chucked on the phones to get on with it. First 2 weeks were kind of supported but usually only 1 person running around trying to help everyone. I seen my manager a handful of times in the very little time I was with NW and when asking around who i speak to if shes not there it was just the case of "speak to anyone you can find" nobody seemed to be able to give me an exact answer. Had to leave my house more than an hour before i was due to start because the parking is terrible especially if you are a 12 o'clock start you have no chance. Also loading up your computer takes a little while and is a nightmare cause it constantly crashes so be prepared to have to re start it a few times and have managers questioning you as to why you aren't taking calls . Also they say in training it doesn't matter if you go into not ready after a call whilst wrapping up before a new call and sending emails but it does and managers constantly monitor the time your in not ready and try and make out your sitting doing nothing as they expect you to be writing emails whilst on calls. Me and my training -

Average

Good pay however they work environment can be average. Busy days and long hours with not many breaks. Good pay and can achieve if willingness to learn

Prison sounds better

I worked for Nationwide for 2 and a half years, I was considered an “experienced consultant” on £18,200 a year. My first month was great, the trainers were fantastic. In my 2 and a half years I had 3 managers, the first was on a complete power trip and spoke to people like rubbish! The second started off great, we were part of a pilot team testing “Do what matters” then it became very tedious and being told atleast 20 times a day that we have it “within our gift” to make a difference, but wouldn’t change anything to allow us to do this. 3rd manager was okay - she was helpful in me writing out my resignation letter. The team of people I started with, about 4 of us left at this point were amazing! Best bunch of people you will meet, the other management (a couple are an exception) are god awful, don’t have a clue what they are talking about. People that walked into the business 5 months ago would be put on floor support, where they couldn’t help so one of us “experienced consultants” would need to go into not ready to assist where we then be pulled up for not ready time which would then count towards your bonus. The computer systems are about 30 years old aswell. Whilst working in service I had a family bereavement where I was allowed 2 days off, one for the funeral. I was asked to work one of these back. The morale is shocking, the pay is ridiculous for what you deal with. The customers are abusive & you get no support for difficult calls, you jus had to get on with it. The staff turnover is mental which is why they are always recruiting, even the operations manager walked out, -

Pros

Close to home.

Cons

Not a good place to work

Company that doesn't care. If they like you and your face fits, you can go far. If they dont you get treated unfairly and they find loopholes so they can get away with it. They make your work day horrible in the Hope's that you leave. Managers think they are superior to you and flaunt it over you. Not a good place to work that's why they are always recruiting.

Dull and repetitive

Training is fun and informative everyone gets to know each other really well but once you split up into your teams it is unbelievable how far the numbers drop within the first few months, it really is not for everyone. The management depending who you speak to is a hit or a miss. It’s very stressful at times and there is just a lot expected of you.

Pros

Cons

constant change, short breaks

Customer adviser

At first thought i had found that right role after lots of searching the training is quite intense although at times a bit hap hazard and left to your own devices to complete a workbook. At times left to your own devices with little or no input from my manger who I saw possible three times and not very constructive. You soon work out who the movers and shakers are and at times the coaching was poor due to some coaches having different ideas on how certain elements should be done. You have to get a number of calls under your belt before you can join your team and take calls on your own so pressures on to get the calls right I don't mind pressure but found that this was sprung on you after being left to your own devices for a few days..... The coaches on the first part of your training were quiet 'cold' and distant but I suppose you get like that if you see so many go through the door each week. I loved the talk given by the manager for our contact Centre who boast that she was boasted about her lack of interest in being a mother and more 'jack the lad' which in this day and age is not great and for me surprising. Don't get me wrong its quiet a good place to work it speak of its customer as 'members' and how they come first which is good but having coaching experience there needs to be a 'top-down' look at how this approach and the training process is handled.

Pros

Close to home

Cons

Shifts haphazard at best

Treat people unfairly

I went through the whole interview process via an agency, was offered job then invited to meet and greet...the following week was told Nationwide had retracted their offer as I had failed security check. Was told by agency they would not give details so can only assume this was due to some catalogue debt I had incurred. Very annoyed about the fact they never checked this in first place and could have saved me attending induction, time and unecessary expenditure...it's fairly unprofessional in my opinion, however after reading some of the other reviews on here I think may have had a lucky escape!

Lovely place to work if your serious and want a career in banking.

Depending on department! I work within Nationwide Now conducting video conferencing from head office with members in the branch. Everyday is different even though they are the same type of appointment! Management is great and will 100% guide you for where YOU want to go. Can be flexible if you can be flexible back. I would recommend if serious in a banking career, otherwise you may find it difficult or boring. Good bonus scheme.

Pros

Every appointment is different. Good pay for the job probably competitive. Free tea coffee, water or juice. Can be flexible.

Cons

Fully committed job that may run over finishing times as its appointment based, You do get the time back.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement