Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews in Northampton

Northampton140 reviews

progressioncentretargetbranchsocietyrolecanteenswindon

Great employer

Plenty of opportunities for work progression. A very caring employer that provides support when needed. Yearly bonuses. Only down side is some management isn’t great/reliable.

Overall good first job/experience

You will gain lots of skills to move forward with here such as time of voice, dealing with customers, problem solving and fast paced environment however development opportunities are slim so I wouldn’t recommend as a career, more a development opportunity as a first job. Wage is not great however you do get small yearly bonuses dependant on whether the high management believe the company can afford it. With my experience however, the management was fantastic and really supportive. I would also say that the full time shifts are not convenient at all if you enjoy your weekends and evenings.

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Fantastic place to work, with friendly staff and great onsite facilities.

Overall I would rate Nationwide as being in my top 5 of companies to work for. I have had and shared some fantastic times at Nationwide and would not hesitate recommending Nationwide to anyone who is looking at a career in Banking. A*

Excellent team.

Too busy at times. Paid on time. Too many changes and emails to deal with. Angry and mean customers at times.

Bad management and toxic work culture

Worked for Nationwide for around a year and a half. Absolutely zero support from managers, my manager was so horrible to me and the other managers always felt very cold and disconnected. No support when it came to difficult phone calls. I was left by myself to make a phone call to the police after a serious and concerning call with a member. Nobody bothered to ask if I was ok. Constantly abused on the phone, company says you don't have to take the abuse, but they soon change their tune when a complaint is written. Members will ask to speak to a manager, but managers will vary rarely take over a call, it's normally left to the support team, who will only take very specific calls, so most of the time you're trying to deal with calls that a manager should be dealing with. Very fast paced, some days you'll have upwards of 300 people in the queue. They are very hot on adhering to your schedule, which sounds perfectly acceptable, until a difficult call runs into your break or lunch, which means if you take your full break or lunch, you're break will then run into phone time and this will flag up as you 'not working'. A lot of people would skip breaks or have shorter lunches as they would penalise and call out people who had low schedule adherence. Some people have a great experience working there, as long as you're in the right department and have a decent manager. I'd probably say most of the call centre jobs, which is where I worked, will be pretty similar.

Pros

Decent hours and job security

Cons

Management, culture and difficult or abusive calls

Fab company

Moving with the times great place too work supportive team members and managers, really promote good work life balance. The company offers fab incentives and great benefits

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Okay workplace that is completely let down by lack of pay, progression, and corporate fluff.

I'll try and summarise my experience of Nationwide over 2.5 years in 3 different roles which were Member Rep, Mortgage Case owner, and customer consultant.The good: USUALLY nice colleagues although managers are a gamble. Depending on your role good satisfaction ie helping someone with a difficult bereavement.Training is usually top-notch however not always the case!Usually good with reducing hours/flexible working. Would make a good part-time job.The bad... Oh, the bad... Pay is awful compared to competitors. They try to justify it with better pension and some benefits but overall significantly lower pay. If you work within the branch you'll do a minimum of 4-5 hours of unpaid extra closing and opening the branch, balancing tills, etc.Progression is almost non-existent. Your interviews are assessed by STAR it's not about your skills or experience it's how well you can blag your way through really awkward questions which they give you a score for. To add to this many people have been at Nationwide for DONKEYS YEARS. Forget about positions like advisors as they're trying to phase them out for online and too much competition. Corporate fluff and 'band wagon' awareness constantly such as mental health which is fine until you actually have something then you're given the cold shoulder. You'll hear things like 'We don't have targets' then at the end of the day if you haven't had a 'skillful conversation' trying to force a credit card onto a clearly unwanting person you'll get feedback for it. In any customer-facing environment, you will receive bad customers I understand. -

Pros

Nice colleagues, SOMETIMES good job satisfaction, Good training, Dependant on role usually able to negotiate reduced hours

Cons

Bad Pay, Bad progression, Oversaturated and bad interview system, Corporate fluff, Let bad customers walk all over you

Good working environment.

Good working environment, friendly management, good salary and benefits, helpful colleagues and good facilities at a convenient location, overall a happy experience

a testament to one's mental health

I was hired on a temporary basis, for a one year contract as a Digital Consultant.Where do I begin with this role. I will list out the few positive things that were there: all of my colleagues were great; I did meet wonderful people whilst there. When it comes to mental health - they are understanding; there are quite a few little things here and there - like unmind app; small yoga classes; and management was fairly supportive and there for you as the months unfolded.That is about it. The rest was quite a toxic environment. Both one's mental and physical health went down the drain. The training for example, for an entry job, is simply overwhelming to say the least - they expect people to grasp banking; all of the products that are used; plus understand 10-15 fully new systems plus quite intense authentication processes within 7 days. I am a people's person who loves helping members, but when one has to spread oneself thin between 3 to sometimes 6 chats / members at once whilst dealing with 10-12 systems, dealing with complaints all in one go - that takes its toll on you. The job was extremely stressful to say the least; there was no work- life balance whatsoever - on the interview a few people were told that we would work 1 out of 3 weekends, once we started - it turns out that you work 3 out of 4 weekends per month, which means that you only have 2 days off in a row only once a month, which also takes its toll on both physical and mental health. I did learn a lot in this role - both life and professional lessons; met people of all sorts; but I would not put -

Pros

nice colleagues, understanding of mental health; the office is spacious plus cheap starbucks and good canteen

Cons

no work-life balance, extremely stressful, not enough pay for the amount of sensitive information and calls / customers we deal with;

Good place to work, but hard to progress

I worked there during the pandemic in collections. Nationwide takes excellent care of there staff. Regret leaving to be frank, however the pay is below what other banks/building societies pay the same role, and it felt like progression was more to do with how long you’ve been there/who you know than actual ability. For example I applied for a role in complaints but was told I did not have enough experience despite my last role being a complaint handler.

Pros

Good support from management

Cons

Pay & progression

Worst job I’ve ever had

They bang on about mental health and having a good work-life balance but then expect you to work all hours under the sun - including weekends and bank holidays - in an extremely stressful high pressured role. Training is rushed and as soon as you’ve completed one lot they upskill you to the point where you’re expected to know all of the information about everything they offer, bearing in mind you don’t get any additional pay to be trained in additional areas.Managers are constantly looking over your shoulder and pressuring you to meet many different stats, including ‘adherence’ which is affected by things like toilet breaks (a basic human right). I could go on… just don’t work for them unless you want to end up with your mental health in tatters.

Pros

Plenty of colleagues who are equally as stressed as you are

Cons

Ridiculous hours and shift patterns, minimal pay for very stressful roles, micro management, stats based jobs, the list is endless

Poor treatment by management

The stress of the job caused me to be diagnosed with depression causing me to have to take time off, it was for this reason that they terminated my contract

fast pace work environment

An unhealthy culture of favouritism which makes progression and development very difficult. However the employee benefits are satisfactory. .....

Pros

empoyee benifits

Cons

poor communication

Disappointing experience

My time at Nationwide was probably coloured badly from having to work with managers who had over reached their level of competence which in turn just blocked the opportunity for others....

Pros

Not many

Cons

Unrealistic expectations

By far the best employer I’ve worked for

Nationwide is by far the best employer I have worked for. They have some amazing benefits! They really look after you! You dress for your day (to a point) and now you can work remote forever (works for some not me personally). The management is supportive- everyone is supportive. You have a fancy laptop, you have flexible working! Company values are great- they definitely put customers (members) at the forefront of whatever they do- customer comes first (unless they are abusive- then staff come first). Leaders at nationwide are behind every staff and it’s been known that customers can have their accounts closed if they mistreat the employees (honestly some customers are shocking).If you want to work for a great company- this is the one! Please remember though- it’s super easy to stay there for 20+ years (so comfortable) so if you want to develop- development within and across is tough… and this is the ONLY reason I left…

Pros

7 hour day. Holidays (buy, sell, carry over), pension (they pay a lot in), flexibility, work life balance, management, values, member focus, many many more

Cons

Development within the company is limited and really hard!

Decent job

I worked at nationwide for a year, I quite enjoyed the job as no 2 days were the same. The team I was on was lovely and there are lots of opportunities to move departments or progress which is fantastic. There was a lot of amenities on site which was super handy.

Pros

Good food, good pay, decent job, good staff

Cons

Can’t think of any

Do not work here

Everything mentioned in the job application and interview process was a lie to get me in, there is no benefits to working at this place, they rush you through training to upskill you in things that will make you so stressed and always busy and never have time to take a break and if so you will always be late, management don’t know what they are doing and can honestly say it is one of the most unfair workplaces.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Weekend work, bad teams, not heard from management, rushed training.

If your face fits you’re ok

I worked in the mortgage new business department as a temp, having never worked in this type of setting before I did find it very fast paced and quite stressful.You are given minimum training and thrown out to either sink or swim.There are dedicated colleagues on the ‘shop floor’ there to help however I was given different advice from different colleagues which didn’t help. Some individuals were quite condescending. My manager was very stand-offish and considering he knew I was struggling didn’t help. After a couple of months I was let go. They appear simply to be results driven as opposed to investing in their employees to bring out the best in them. Perhaps it was because I was a temp? I’m sure this doesn’t reflect the company overall.

Pros

They have an excellent staff canteen with varied and tasty food though!

Cons

Stressful. If your face fits you will be fine!

People are good but that’s about it

The amount of grief you got by customers on a day-to-day basis was ridiculous, if you aren’t strong minded, you might struggle. Only benefit is the amount of breaks you have and the option to go to another department. If you drive it’s easy to get there but if not, there’s very few buses that come round moulton park in Northampton past 5 so if you were on a 10-6 or 12-8 you’ll find it difficult getting home. They train you well for the job but not how you get treated by customers. I joined a couple of years ago with 9 other people and I must say, at least 6 people left before me and we all had the same view as me. Stressful job majority of the time but you do get good days.

Pros

Breaks, food quality is good and the people, training

Cons

Management, not worth the money, hard place to get to without a car

Awful - Lies

The worst part of working for Nationwide is not the customer you speak to daily who can be rude, it is the management who lack any empathy for people. Working for a company like Nationwide who says that they have 'PRIDE' and value their staff you realise that it is all for show. The management does not care about you at all. If you are off sick they will mess up your pay and underpay you. The policies in place are bad and the management are absymal at handled employees with any mental health conditions. In collections you speak to many customers who are in difficult times,Nationwide provides training to help vulnerable customers the best that they can however, they do not treat their employees the same. You will be told one thing by one manager and another by someone else. The Hr department is terrible, called them over 6 times and told them my new address on every call and they still didn't update it. There is no adjustments made by Nationwide to accomodate mentally ill employees, they do not support you and once you are signed off sick then basically want you out of the company. The turnover for staff in Collections especially is very high for many reasons including: high pressure schedule, bad management, not enough pay for the amount of work you do, expected to do work in between calls/lunch breaks and after work to progress in the company. There is little diversity in the management as they are predominantly mid twenties, white, cis males. Managers are not held to the same standard as front end employees and can be insensitive, rude, ignorant and even standoffish -

Pros

working in a group with like minded people

A good company to work for

Good benefits, many opportunities and good work life balance.supportative atmosphere but they like hard workers and you are targeted and so need to ensure that you meet them

Benefits

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement