Nationwide Building Society
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews in Swindon

Swindon228 reviews

progressioncentretargetbranchsocietyrolecanteenswindon

Fairly average. Relatively good for finance but still not great.

For a financial services business it's not bad - being a mutual building society helps. Many people there seem to genuinely care about the customers/members. They're certainly doing a lot less bad than the financial sector on average. However, the culture and atmosphere are still not great - very narrow-minded and narrowly educated management, lots of BS admin and posing. Tensions in teams and problems in communication do not get resolved actively. Overall not a very inspiring or progressive company at all. They pay ok-ish and the work-life balance and benefits are fairly good.

Pros

Benefits, work-life balance

Cons

Rigid and narrow-minded big-corporate culture

Great job, promotion dependent upon interview

Great job, wonderful work life balance. Promotion very much depends on 'playing the game' or having a relationship with the interviewer. Hard to progress without becoming a robot.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Progression for favourites

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Wow! dont bother

So, I started my job in May of this year, and I thought I was doing well. Made friends had a routine, I loved my job, happy healthy work and social life, and Had my family, and boyfriend, then one day my manager dropped a bomb on me to say I'm no longer needed before my contract ends and I have days notice. confused, angry scared, I have no job, I have bills to pay. great thank you, they're meant to be a great company to work for! I had no idea what i needed to improve on.

Inclusive and Growth Environment

A fabulous place to work if the pay is right. Work place is fun and inclusive, plenty of opportunity to progress in your career if you put yourself forward and take advantage of the resources made available to you. Management listens to staff feedback but there are too many red tapes to implement changes in a good time. You do get great work benefits but the pay is a little poor. Nationwide can do better with pay.

I love the work and the company

My past career with Nationwide has been with launching the flex account so it was quite a while ago, but my work experience was enjoyable and useful as you could increase your level of work through your job and experience all processes and management level as part of your training. I wish I never left.

Pros

Discount on your mortgage up to the first 30, 000

Cons

Sitting down all day ?

Good company

Great company enjoyed my time there and felt like I was appreciated they had a strict no work from home policy which was did annoy me as o like working from home

Interview and actual job role so different

Fast paced, so many targets to hit and most of the time we’re not reachable but not due to your own fault. Hours different to what was proposed at interview. Good benifits for working for the company but lack of support from management.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Long hours lack of support

Not recommended.

I lasted a few months back in 2019 until I was forced to resign unfairly due to lack of training.This is the reason their turnover is so high, poorly trained then expected to perform miracles, on the phones with irate customers... there's much better jobs out there, not worth the stress they put you through.

Flexible hours during the 35 hour weekLovely office environmentSupportiveEnjoyed learning new processes and systemsOnly left because I relocated and the commute was too far but really enjoyed working there would highly recommend

Pros

Free parking buses available and restaurant on site

Cons

Car parks can get very busy if you don't arrive early in the morning

Good work life balance

This is my second stint in Nationwide and I can say one thing for sure that they look after their employees, but one thing that hasn't changed in over 10 years here is the management style. There are so many managers and so many people that have to agree on taking any decision that it takes extremely long any making any meaningful progress.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Management Style, lot of red tape

good company

Great management, good benefits. Opportunities to develop and learn new things. Pension benefits are great work life balance is good. Management cares about your well-being.

Pros

great facilities

Cons

nothing

False ethics - sell sell sell

Considering the low salary, there is far too much pressure on lower-level customer-facing staff within branches. Too many verbal "thank yous" from senior management who are seemingly comfy at home and have no idea about the environment in which we work in. Appalling branch management who belittle their staff when they don't hit targets that apparently don't exist and are not part of Nationwide's core values. With these targets, that don't exist, management drive sales through their branch staff in a manner that I would describe as passive-aggressive. There is no feeling of mutuality. Branch team members are at the bottom of the pile, in a pool of negativity that has trickled it's way down from above.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Pressure and lack of progression.

Nice place to work

lots of young people, very friendly, Everyone seems relaxed and content most times. They try to accommodate everyone and try to make the environment enjoyable. regular one to one's so you know how you're performing and regular training.

Pros

1 hour lunch plus breaks

Cons

career progression can be slow

Good

Good place to work, solid job security, can be difficult to progressVery chill and plenty of support from managementDecent benefits such as buying holiday

Easy job for a little while but you need to move on quick

Nationwide are very good at recognising talent, however, they won't give jobs to the talented individuals within the organisation, they will always source externally for a little while until they think "yeah why not, let's finally give our people a shot".

Pros

Accountable freedom

Cons

Local management not great

Meh ok place if you want a call Center

Busy stressful environment, no progression, unrealistic goals to hit eg, AHT, hold times, call lengths etc, bog standard call centre. Not much management support. Pizza in team meeting was a nice touch, we got ice creams on hot days, and it could be a laugh at times too.

Pros

Ice cream on hot days, colleagues, monthly team meetings, one 1 ones basically time off the phone.

Cons

All of it

Terrible

The worst place I have ever worked for! The management were unsupportive, you didn’t feel like a looked after employee you were a number, I suffered from slight mental health issues and approached my manager to speak about my issues, and by the book she stared blankly into my face and told me to get professional help. No sympathy no nothing. I felt like you were capped in the job as there was no way up. I would not recommend working for nationwide.

Cons

Always been made to feel as part of the team. My ideas have always been thought about. If I'm struggling with anything I know I can talk to my team. If I have a problem outside of work I know I can trust my manager with anything. Since Covid has hit and we've had to work from home, nationwide has been very generous in what we have needed to be able to do our job from anywhere. Even though I'm currently working from home i know that I can always contact one of my team and they will help in anyway they can.

Pros

Great work life balance

Started strong but faded to mediocrity

this started as a fun, energising place to work and grow, but quickly became a place with minimal support and lack of care to the individual. Procedures change on a daily basis and staff are not informed. Training barely covers what you need to know and you will be looking things up for months after starting, if not longer.

Good people but too much deadwood

Red tape for the sake of red tape and long serving managers with no real vision for change have always been big problems. Initially it was fun but the third round of redundancies just to make up for poor planning said it all. Much better companies out there tbh.Toilets in Wakefield house (Swindon) were utterly DISGUSTING for most of the year - Putting up an out of order sign and closing a cubicle for 6 months doesn't make it magically disappear... This isn't an exaggeration it's common place.

People Orientated

It's a great place to work in my experience, the culture is very people orientated and I certainly had a good working life balance. There is ample opportunity to grow and develop and the space in which to do so. They do expect you to work hard, but I found that this was recognised and good work was praised and rewarded. Flexible working and the ability to work from home if necessary meant I could adjust my hours or working location to fit in with my family whilst still working full time.

Pros

Flexibility, Good benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Nationwide Building Society with

Learn about Nationwide Building Society in Swindon

• Nationwide Building Society
  • Swindon
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?