Nationwide Building Society

Administrator36 reviews
United Kingdom36 reviews

progressioncentretargetbranchsocietyrolecanteenswindon

Great employer

Plenty of opportunities for work progression. A very caring employer that provides support when needed. Yearly bonuses. Only down side is some management isn’t great/reliable.

Invest alot in employees

In my short time at Nationwide I found that they invest alot in their employees & they offer a very good work/ home life balance yet given the size of the teams it was difficult to form good relationships especially as my position was home based & couldn't see a future with them. Also the work was repetitive & I didn't receive the best training

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Employees looked after

Loved my temporary role for nationwide. Wish I could have stayed on with them. Great management and love their work ethic and how their members are priority.

Good company

Great company enjoyed my time there and felt like I was appreciated they had a strict no work from home policy which was did annoy me as o like working from home

Good working environment.

Good working environment, friendly management, good salary and benefits, helpful colleagues and good facilities at a convenient location, overall a happy experience

Awful

Depends on luck of which manager you get A lot of school like drama among people especially the managers Very strict and not at all understanding if you get sick and need time off Temporary staff are treated very differently to perm Clear favouritism displayed Poor pay

Cons

Don't work here unless you're at rock bottom

As a mortgage administrator you get roughly £300 a week for a 9-5. (Some opportunity for flexible working but not guaranteed). Targets are impossibly high. Every piece of work you do is timed and you have to log everything you do. They allocate an average time for each task eg a phone call is worth three minutes if youre on the phone and it takes 20 minutes because you can't just hang up tough. You then get behind the unachievable target and have to explain to your managers why you're a failure. No sick pay until youre perm as apparently you're self employed not a temp, which doesn't happen often so you have to use holiday pay which you accrue as you work if you're sick. No job security as they hire mostly temps for entry level jobs. Avoid at all costs

Pros

Free coffee when machine not broken. V

Cons

No sick pay temp v perm mentality, Add responsibilities for the same pay, Targets stupid high, Most benefits are for perm

stressful

underpaid and overworked, the salary is not worth the stress. You do not get grievance pay if you are a temporary worker, you are only allowed a very small amount of sick days (which is stressful if you get ill regularly or have health problems), you do not get paid for sick leave if you are temp, you do not get paid holiday for breaks like Christmas day or new years day you have to book them as holiday. Temp workers can be moved freely as of when they are needed on a different team.

Toxic Job and Working Environment

Worse job I have ever had! Management like bullying people and the environment was Toxic. No interaction with workmates allowed just get your head down and work. Using 12 different systems to complete the required letters most of the time systems down which caused stress and management were not helpful or caring about the situation.

Pros

Cons

Poor pay treated like scum

Decent

Only reason i leaved is salary was quite low. People in similar roles in other banks/building societies were on double the salary. Other than that not bad

Great team spirit, and great company to work for

Have worked at Nationwide Building Society for 19 Years. It is a great Company to work for, they really look after their employees. Within our small Secretariat team we work hard with a great team spirit to get the job done.

Friendly and Charitable

I worked at nationwide admin centre for 3 years and it was lovely. Staff are all kind and friendly from my experience. In my department there was ‘flexi working’ which meant you could get to work for 10 and finish at 6, or get there for 8 and finish at 4. Whatever you choose, basically. And if you worked an extra hour one day, you could take it off of another day (makes for shorter Fridays!) Pay was good and management were generally easy going and supportive. They hold a lot of charity days and events. They also allow for paid volunteer days with colleagues where you’d go to an Animal Shelter, let’s say, and help them for the day.

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

Boring

Great Workplace

This is really the best place to work - lovely team building and excellent training. Looked after from start to end - Career progression is also great.

Job security

I have learnt a lot of skills whilst I have worked for Nationwide from communication to customer service qualities. I have gained many qualifications in the 15 yrs I have worked there.

Would not recommend

Low level entry position staff are considered extremely disposable and not deemed important at all, it is made clear in the salary provided along with unrealistic work load expectations. Management is unprofessional and company politics takes priority over staff well being.

Cons

Bad management, very low salary with high expectations

Poor culture

Poor management who only look at their own careers and what you can provide them. If you can't aid their progression, you are dropped in favour of someone who can. Double standards, especially to Mental Health Awareness - some preach it's amazing and management support is amazing. In my experience, it was the complete opposite. Poor work life balance. Poor management understanding of the time it takes to complete a task. Avoid this company at Bournemouth. Rather take your skills to JP or LV.

Pros

Central location

Cons

Management. Zero career support.

Take care of their Employees

Working for Nationwide for 10 years has made me feel like I have been part of a family, the business has grown over the years but there is still a community feel.

Pros

Flexible hours/buy holiday

Cons

Job levels

Modern but traditional in values

Been working for Nationwide since I graduated and they have provided me with a steady platform to be in a role which suits my skill set and also opportunities for further development.

A great company

A great company to work for, Nationwide provides great opportunities for growth. All smaller offices have been relocated into modern sites with great facilities.

Fun workplace

This can be a very changeling role from speaking to different customers such as brokers, solicitors, and direct customers relating to mortgages. ......

Pros

Fun

Cons

Hard work

Nationwide offered fair pay and good conditions. Even as a contractor, it felt like a company that cared about its staff. Would recommend to others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement