Nationwide Building Society

Customer Representative58 reviews
United Kingdom58 reviews

progressioncentretargetbranchsocietyrolecanteenswindon

Mixed

Certain people were favourites, management nice enough and approachable team cohesion good despite a fair old turn over. In the end wasn’t for me due to the red tape and drudgery involved with certain processes they are there for a reason though

Pros

ApproachableManagement and prospects

Cons

Certain favourites and large targets

Member Representative

I worked at a good store but the store I transferred to was a shambles and didn't even follow guidelines and was very much pushy sales which I felt was disgusting from both an employee and customer perspective.

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Dreadful Culture and Management

Complete lack of respect for mental poor health and Neurodivergence / Difference. They constantly use nonsense jargon. The managers are mostly pretty dim.

Not a nice branch to work in

Branch politics and unprofessional attitudes. Managers are not as competent as they need to beManagers only pay attention to their favorites. Very high staff turnover due to lack of training for new staffs

Pros

Laid back environment

Cons

Stressful, staff arguments, toxic environment

Bad management

Unprofessional managers, pay very poor for the hours. Ultimately left due to being reprimanded due to taking a day off when back from maternity leave as my infant was ill, I was told of I couldn't put the job first I was in the wrong profession.

Would not recommend

Contracted hours are 9am/5pm in the week but you actually work around 8:30am/5:30pm with the extra hour of your day unpaid. Bankage Officer role which is not specified in the job description makes the job a lot harder and a lot more stressful as you have to be on tills or on host at the same time as doing the BO duties. No support surrounding mental health is given by management either which makes the job even more stressful and hard. Holiday is a nightmare to book. I personally don’t think me or a few other of my colleagues were paid enough for what we had to do on a day to day basis and for the amount of hours we would actually put into this job. The job itself is really interesting and I did enjoy serving customers as I did end up with a few of my own “regulars” but the working environment itself was horrible, if you need help you’re on your own unless you get on with another colleague really well and they don’t mind helping you with something. Things are changing all the time which means no day is ever the same. I personally would not recommend working at Nationwide Building Society to anybody.

Stressful and disappointing

Colleagues were generally helpful. Stressful due to unachievable targets in a location that had been tried and tested unsuccessfully many times. This is a very cautious company who loves to move the goalposts in relation to working practices. Quite soul destroying.

Varied

I loved working for Nationwide, I was with them for 23 years! as an oldie things got a little 'sales' orientated for me. Being old school I loved the customer service part and making my customers happy with their transactions, loved serving my regulars.

Good place to work if you want a stable solid job. However very short on job advancement and is only getting worse as roles are being changed and less and les staff in branches

Just a number

Higher management were inconsiderate. Own team were great, but too much work and success expected from you for the low salary. High stress levels!! Low work morale!

Overworked and underpaid

Most branches are understaffed, therefore the staff on-site are rushed off their feet and expected to stay late (unpaid) to get the job done. It has unfortunately become a hard sell environment, and pressure is put on people on the front line to cross sell to customers with any product they can, rather than them being beneficial to the person. Till staff get bogged down with unrealistic targets, admin, servicing ATM's and anything else management don't want to do. I spent 7 years there as it was my first job, but I do wish I had left a long time ago. Only benefit is the friends and people I met along the way.

Stressful but great colleagues

Always understaffed, great team atmosphere but branch enjoyment solely at the mercy of the management. Culture of sacrifice the worker to please the customer no matter how unreasonable. Whether the worker in the right or wrong. Progression has nothing to do with performance.

Pros

Great Team, Great Pension, Great holiday rights.

Cons

Managements, staffing, workload

Best place I’ve ever worked

Worked here now for 7 years and love it. It’s hard work but rewarding. The pay is amazing for this industry. Management always very supportive. Everyone is working to the same goal.

Financial Services

• Providing excellent customer service face to face in the branch or over the phone. • Being able to identify a customer’s needs quickly and efficiently and building a good rapport with customers. • Providing a wide range of Financial services and transactions whilst abiding by Financial Conduct regulations and Data Protection. • Have extensive knowledge on all the products and services we provide. • Key holder for the branch and safe. • Selected as a ‘Nationwide Values’ Representative. • Being Vigilant at all times, keeping up to date with Financial threats including Fraud and Money laundering. • Using multiple computer database systems. • Responsible for Daily reconciliation of Branch ATM’s.

Great company but difficult to work in branch network

Branch network it's always under staffed so there's always much more things to do compared to what you are supposed to do. However, my team and in general teams are amazing and also the culture is really good. I've been involved many times in volunteering activities in and outside the branch.

Used to be fun

My time at Nationwide was lovely until the directors decided to refurbish the branches. Dreadful, so many things restrict you from giving great customer service. And IT always crashing , unbelievable. Everyday at least 1 ,2 or 3 teller units fail. Embarrassing. With the new system , transactions take twice as long as need to enter details on two different systems. Bonkers. It is such a shame. I would still be there if it wasn't for all these issues.

Pros

Love helping people.

Cons

Not paid for extra hours just expected, High staff turnover in branches, People leave because manager incapable of running branch and helping out in busy periods, Morale low due to not enough staff.

Full Time Customer Representative - Hard Working and Under Paid

Overall Rating - Working at nationwide I have met some life long friends. Depending on where you're based you can have a good or bad relationship with your colleagues. I have hears some not so pleasant stories. Job Work/Life Balance - For a full time employee you are there Monday to Friday, Some saturdays are required (around 2/3 per month). You are expected to be there at 8:30 though you're paid from 9. Saturdays are usually 4 hours depending on your branch . Salary/Benefits - As a CR, I do feel that those in the role are underpaid and hard worked. We are expected to do more than is in our job description and not paid for it. You will find that you pick up the slack for those in higher paid positions. They do offer a range of benefits in the likeness of salary sacrifice schemes to save on tax but they're only really benefits if your use them. Job Security - Jobs are secure unless you do something very very bad. In terms of advancement it is very much a who you know, going along with the status quo and senior management liking you. This is especially apparent within the branch network. Management - Overall management is not amazing, definitely room for improvement. Job Culture - As long as you're seen to be doing what your doing you'll be fine. NOTE: if applying for this role you can negotiate salary. When I began I was told this was not the case and then later found out it was.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Poor Management, Low salary

Professional Workplace.

Nationwide thrives on doing well for their members and I have been proud to be a part of this. I have learnt many skills since being with Nationwide.

Pros

Good Pension, Vouchers, Good Training.

Cons

Salary

An Excellent place to work with fantastic managers

Start up meetings each morning to review results and targets set for everyone for the day. Contacting appointments for that day to confirm attendance and to confirm what is required for the mortgage/investment interview. Carrying out interviews compliantly and securing as many cross sales as possible with referral to personal banking adviser if current account to be transfered to Nationwide. Reviewing days activity and meet with Branch Manager to update. Send figures through to Area Office and finish for the day. I miss meeting the customers with their individual personalities and being able to help them secure their home. Celebrating when they get their key and keeping in touch with them post completion. I still have many old customers ask me to come back..

Pros

Company pension

Friendly Atmosphere

Customer facing position including cashiering and dealing with customer queries. Sales of Nationwide products where there is a need. Friendly atmosphere

Overbearing Sales Culture

I believe they may have changed their stance since when I worked there but the sales culture was very overbearing, a lot was expected of you despite the wage being low, but the staff are a good lot.

Pros

Good team

Cons

Low wage/high expectation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Nationwide Building Society with

Learn about Nationwide Building Society in popular locations

• Nationwide Building Society
  • Customer Representative
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?