Nationwide Building Society
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative134 reviews
United Kingdom134 reviews

progressioncentretargetbranchsocietyrolecanteenswindon

Overall good first job/experience

You will gain lots of skills to move forward with here such as time of voice, dealing with customers, problem solving and fast paced environment however development opportunities are slim so I wouldn’t recommend as a career, more a development opportunity as a first job. Wage is not great however you do get small yearly bonuses dependant on whether the high management believe the company can afford it. With my experience however, the management was fantastic and really supportive. I would also say that the full time shifts are not convenient at all if you enjoy your weekends and evenings.

Fast paced, and slightly stressful, but a great team to work with

Handled inbound calls. Thankfully they weren't too concerned with call lengths, so long as you did everything you needed to do to help the customer. Call marking is a thing, so make sure you follow compliance!

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Fantastic place to work, with friendly staff and great onsite facilities.

Overall I would rate Nationwide as being in my top 5 of companies to work for. I have had and shared some fantastic times at Nationwide and would not hesitate recommending Nationwide to anyone who is looking at a career in Banking. A*

Overall good company

The people are great and there is a lot of opportunity for advancement. The shifts can get really busy and dealing with multiple customers in one go can prove stressful. Especially for multi skilled employees. Great support but can feel a bit isolated.

Pros

Support, nice colleagues

Cons

Stressful, fast paced, high workload

Good first job, but wouldn't recommend working if you like your weekends and evenings!

I worked at Nationwide for 3yrs, working in the call center for 1yr and from home for 2yrs. I learned at Nationwide the basic customer service skills which was good as this was my first job. The management team were varied, my manager was very supportive but on leave often, so there was frequently covering managers who didn't support you and gave unrealistic targets for you to meet. The culture in the office was good and social interaction with your team, manager and other colleagues. The hardest parts of the job were as follows: Development - there was no opportunities, unless you were well liked by the manager of the training team you were not considered even if you had more experience than others hired. Hours - these frequently changed, working from 8am - 8pm, working weekends. When I initially started it was 2x Sats a month, this changed to 3x Sats & Suns a month. The rotas also were only released 4wks in advance. Holiday - varied dependent on skillset, if you did more than one this made it harder to book, also had to book weekends & days separately. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, but this very much changed during the pandemic when people started working from home.

Pros

Good pay, good first job to learn customer service skills.

Cons

Hours, shift and weekend working, expected to be upskilled quickly, frequent system issues working from home, holiday booking difficult.

Fast paced but rewarding

Great place to work. Friendly staff managers are good. Lots ot progression Everyone is nice Good hours Working weekends Sometimes can ve very clicky but overall good

Good Company but pay poor

A great group of people. Some of the managers are not supportive and pay is poor. Busy and the interaction with the customers made the job. Had to leave in order to increase pay.

Inclusive and Growth Environment

A fabulous place to work if the pay is right. Work place is fun and inclusive, plenty of opportunity to progress in your career if you put yourself forward and take advantage of the resources made available to you. Management listens to staff feedback but there are too many red tapes to implement changes in a good time. You do get great work benefits but the pay is a little poor. Nationwide can do better with pay.

Excellent team.

Too busy at times. Paid on time. Too many changes and emails to deal with. Angry and mean customers at times.

I love the work and the company

My past career with Nationwide has been with launching the flex account so it was quite a while ago, but my work experience was enjoyable and useful as you could increase your level of work through your job and experience all processes and management level as part of your training. I wish I never left.

Pros

Discount on your mortgage up to the first 30, 000

Cons

Sitting down all day ?

Interview and actual job role so different

Fast paced, so many targets to hit and most of the time we’re not reachable but not due to your own fault. Hours different to what was proposed at interview. Good benifits for working for the company but lack of support from management.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Long hours lack of support

Former employee

Target culture in branches and centralising administration was the end of customer service focus that made Nationwide a great place to work - such a shame.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Customer service second to targets

Not recommended.

I lasted a few months back in 2019 until I was forced to resign unfairly due to lack of training.This is the reason their turnover is so high, poorly trained then expected to perform miracles, on the phones with irate customers... there's much better jobs out there, not worth the stress they put you through.

Not worth it

Got through two weeks training, was then immediately let go because my equipment didn't arrive and I couldn't take calls. Be careful, they are very two-faced

Nice place to work

lots of young people, very friendly, Everyone seems relaxed and content most times. They try to accommodate everyone and try to make the environment enjoyable. regular one to one's so you know how you're performing and regular training.

Pros

1 hour lunch plus breaks

Cons

career progression can be slow

No work life balance, bad environment wouldn’t recommend

No room for movement within company. Work load is too much and quiet stressful and you’re expected to just push through and be a machine. Management is callous and lacks empathy to those under them. Don’t do it to youself

Meh ok place if you want a call Center

Busy stressful environment, no progression, unrealistic goals to hit eg, AHT, hold times, call lengths etc, bog standard call centre. Not much management support. Pizza in team meeting was a nice touch, we got ice creams on hot days, and it could be a laugh at times too.

Pros

Ice cream on hot days, colleagues, monthly team meetings, one 1 ones basically time off the phone.

Cons

All of it

Dreadful place to work

There are much better places to work than Nationwide building society. The managers are bullies, they intimidate and make you feel worthless. Your micro managed and are expected to do a huge amount of work for very little pay. I found my job at Nationwide very stressful, had many a sleepless night worrying. Not good for your mental health. Since leaving I have become a much happier person. The best thing I did was to move on.

Pros

Made many friend.

Cons

Tedious

Awful workplace

Managers heads are so far up their own back sides that they can’t see what’s going on around them. All they care about is stats. They preach about mental health but in reality, they couldn’t care. Unless you’re willing to sacrifice your mental well-being, don’t work here.

Poor treatment by management

The stress of the job caused me to be diagnosed with depression causing me to have to take time off, it was for this reason that they terminated my contract

Mediocre

I got approached to start a job here straight after I'd finished uni and took it as I needed some money. The training was okay, but there was a fair bit of self learning needed as some of the information was outdated. Overall, managers try and do their best, but it's clear head office doesn't care about the Sheffield branch and employee care lacks because of this. People were constantly going off sick with stress, shift patterns change weekly, and a lot of people feel underpaid for the work they're expected to do, and feel pressured to keep Nationwides good reputation. There is a yearly bonus depending on company performance, but that is the extent of any perks (no canteen, no gym, etc - unlike other branches)If you would like a monotonous role where you're constantly getting insulted by the general public, your mental health is disregarded, and you aren't wanting to progress in a career, then this job is ideal.

Pros

Bonus

Cons

Poor employee care, lack of budget, lack of progression, low salary.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement