Nationwide Building Society

Member Services Representative31 reviews
United Kingdom31 reviews

progressioncentretargetbranchsocietyrolecanteenswindon

Job Security and able to Grow

Great company to work for, job security, space to progress and grow, internal opportunities, fast paced, typical hours, some saturday working hours.

Amazing place

The culture at this job is really good, everyone is so lovely and had made me feel welcome since I started, such a good company, especially the support they give!

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Amazing colleagues, tough work for low pay

My experience is working as a "multi-skilled" MR, which basically means you have to do multiple jobs at once for the pay of one job, which can include things such as answering tens of phonecalls per day whilst also dealing with many members face to face and an ever increasing pile of paperwork.The base pay is shocking when you consider how much you are expected to do. The only benefit that people consistently use is the pension as others end up costing you a large amount. Realistically, for a person with so much responsibility and pressure, both from management and the public, you would expect more compensation.The colleagues and immediate management are all wonderful people which is what makes the job worth doing, but that will no doubt vary from branch to branch. If you like a challenge then this job is for you as many a member will present issues which you have not come across before.

Pros

Good pension plan, nice coworkers, flexible uniform

Cons

Low pay, many responsibilities, occational 6 day weeks, computers are awful and crash constantly

High expectations

It has taken me a long time to be open with myself about this. At first it seems to be all benefits: good training, pension, friendly team, clean branch, progression opportunity. But it doesn’t take long for the cracks to show. Management are bullies or competing to get to the next level of power. Unrealistic expectations, in order to get a pay rise you have to fill out an essay on what you have done and then rate yourself. There are no ‘targets’ yet how many appointments you’ve booked or products opened is counted on an excel sheet each month. No support when receiving abuse by customers. When Covid hit, they made branch staff take Head Office calls and reduced branch hours, with very minimal training, then further abuse from ‘members’ across the country. The final straw for me was being publicly humiliated for being off with a fever and a cough (Jan 2020) which reflecting now could have been covid. I was told in my back to work that I should’ve come in and tried to work, then be sent home and that I didn’t put in 100%. This was done during opening hours in the branch in front of the whole team. The only reason I stayed longer was because I enjoyed who I worked with, it did feel like a family.

Good place to start your career

Nationwide is a great place for one to start their career. The training is extremely in-depth and there are lots of opportunities to develop further (E.g secondments, taking on additional responsibilities).

Pros

Good benefits package, generous sick pay, lots of opportunities for progression

Cons

Staff in the branches are very underpaid for the work they have to go

Very busy role, however can be fun and nationwide cares so much about employee wellbeing

Nationwide is a very busy place with lots to learn. However new opportunities to grow are always available and branch managers support their staff so well, and always go out of their way to help. Wages could be higher however they aren’t the worst. Teams are like a second family and are great. So much to learn though, new processes and changes.

Pros

Great work family and development opportunities

Cons

Busy days, lots of changes and short staffed

Very lovely colleagues and management Pay is fairly good And good bonus I would recommend it as a good place to work. And if you are local even better

Not too bad

This company is fairly ok to work for- staff are really nice and most managers too. There is so much to learn though and systems are old and clunky. Branches are always short staffed and you won’t leave on time! Lots of verbal thanks from higher up but not much else - those in high up positions don’t really understand the pressure on branch staff. Job security is good however.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Expect a lot, low wage

False ethics - sell sell sell

Considering the low salary, there is far too much pressure on lower-level customer-facing staff within branches. Too many verbal "thank yous" from senior management who are seemingly comfy at home and have no idea about the environment in which we work in. Appalling branch management who belittle their staff when they don't hit targets that apparently don't exist and are not part of Nationwide's core values. With these targets, that don't exist, management drive sales through their branch staff in a manner that I would describe as passive-aggressive. There is no feeling of mutuality. Branch team members are at the bottom of the pile, in a pool of negativity that has trickled it's way down from above.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Pressure and lack of progression.

Stressful and hard work.

Depending on what you are used too, Nationwide expects a lot from its trainee's. The amount you are expected to learn within the probationary period is extreme. Depending on your manager, you may be expected to memorise verbatim what they say. As well as handle your cash and till. My colleague are lovely very willing to help, my manager though, i think expected too much too soon. Interacting with the customers was my favourite part. Yes some are difficult, it will always be that way when you are customer facing. U

Member Rep - branch based

Overall its a good company with good training for new starts. Role is varied but is primarily customer service based with some admin and banking duties. However managements main focus is on how many referals you get for the consultants. This can be very pressurising at times, although they regularly remind you there is no "selling" involved and they do not do "targets".

Pros

Decent pension, paid sick days, paid charity days and good HR

Cons

Can be difficult at times to get days off you want, sometimes working 6 days a week for over a month at a time and being owed your days off.

Fast paced

Many systems to learn fast paced and stressful at timesUnder pressure at busy times, some not very pleasant customersWill learn a lot in a short space of time

Varied work

A lot to learn with lots of different systems. More recently the job has become a lot more stressful with less and less staff. Senior management make things sounds great but the reality in branch is very different

Pros

Good team

Cons

Stressful, low pay

Used to be a great company, but focus on profits has changed it

Better than some, worse than others. Very little chance of career progression if your in a branch. All mortgage advisors, personal banking managers and assistant managers have been removed permanently from branch. High expectation of remembering a lot of complex processes on old systems and expected to do anything head office ask us to do.

Pros

Friendly

Cons

High expectations without support of senior management and systems.

Member Representative in Branches

Really nice colleagues and helpful management at branch level. However, just not enough staff makes every day incredibly stressful. They put out a ‘branch promise’ keeping high street branches open until at least 2023 but by doing this they let staff levels drop to the bare bones everyday in my opinion to out way the costs. Always felt like you were doing 3 peoples jobs but on a very basic wage. Got rid of personal banking managers in branches and were in the process of adding their duties onto the MR’s role. No time to finish anything or see a job through. No development to speak of as most branch managers having to sit on a till because always under staffed and any training just had to be quickly clicked through to finish it by deadlines so pointless. Senior management promised more resources which never materialise. Felt over worked and under paid. Got really resentful about it by the time I left. Not for me.

Pros

Nice colleagues

Cons

35 hours which in reality were 40 but no extra pay. Not enough staff. Stressful.

Awful pay

Awful pay, 6 days a week 8:30 - 5:30 £18k a year which works out at less than minimum wage. Managers are awful, please never work for this company you will want to die

Pros

You get given a suit

Cons

You want to slit your wrists 24/7

Stressful sales role

They give you targets to up sell their products and put you under immense stress, managers just sit on WhatsApp all day whilst the lowest paid do all the stressful work of actually running the place, my mental health is so improved since leaving and don’t miss it one little bit.

Pros

Good pension

Cons

Stressful and very underpaid

It’s not what you know but who you know!

Unfortunately, building a career at Nationwide is harder than they say it is. Branch managers already know who they’re gonna pick for their next vacancy, it’s all based on who you know. People with tones on knowledge are not always the chosen ones, but after you receive a lame feedback such as “you’re not ready to take on this role yet”, you are then asked to cover for that role free of charge in times of holidays, sickness etc. Shocking! And on top of al this, the wages are shockingly low. You earn less than a supermarket checkout person. Every year they’ll raise your wage with £100-£200/year…

Pros

Meeting great people

Cons

Too many politics and sly management

Rewarding but stressful

I joined in April 2020, and my interview consisted of two managers asking me some customer style questions and to add some sums up. Was pretty easy. I was invited about 2 weeks later, and had to pass some background checks which took about 3 weeks. The job training was alright, although you are unfamiliar with the systems so you don’t really know what you’re learning. Ideally you’d be doing transactions with someone from the first week, instead of solid online learning After you get up to speed, you will do transactions on the counter, mainly cash withdrawals, transfers, changing people’s info (address etc), although you can deal with complicated things like bereavements, power of attorneys, complex address changes for vulnerable people… it can someone’s feel like some processes are more complicated than they need to be. If you are going for a front facing role in branch, you will be assessed every 90 days (or about 3 times a year) by your manager, they will observe you and assess your competency. This would be okay but my manager is quite overbearing and micromanages us, so I never look forward to it as he expects us to sell our products, do the transaction, be friendly and chatty, while working with a queue of people looking at you. Might not sound a lot but it’s a lot when you are doing itThere is quite a lot of emphasis on ‘skilful conversations’, where through a chat with a member you can tell them about nationwide savings products, home insurance, credit card, digital banking etc. You are expected to do this even when you know the person is not interested, and -

Pros

Small team, good on CV, weekly morning catch ups

Cons

Emphasis on selling products, short staff, expected to do everything, need to focus on hitting targets

Fun workplace

Very easy to get along with team and management, nationwide offer support even out of hours. Work life balance and job security, even during a pandemic.

A good company to work for.

A good company to work for with opportunities after experience ie: number of years in the industry. Otherwise a wonderful company, good work ethics, lovely team support.

Pros

Very good company to be with.

Cons

Low salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement