Nationwide Building Society

Personal Banking Manager38 reviews
United Kingdom38 reviews

progressioncentretargetbranchsocietyrolecanteenswindon

Good place to work.

Good place to work, systems can be slow and very dated. Not much movement for development opportunities. Overall stable workplace and good benefits overall.

Pros

Work life balance.

Cons

Low pay

Safe company

This is a good place to get that financial experince from. A good employer that will look after your needs with a good pension, work benefits and job security

Insights into Nationwide Building Society

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Very supportive employers

The thing I loved about nationwide is how much they promoted and encouraged sharing positive encounters with members throughout the day, I found it really helped boost morale and made everyone want to work hard to achieve a good success story about going the extra mile.

Pros

Support from senior managers

Cons

Having to start half an hour early than paid hours start

It used to be great

Having been with NBS on and off since 2013 i have seen it's better days. I used to love my job (personal banking manager), face to face appointments and making an impact on people's financial situation was the motivator. I am also on decent salary - 24,5k (most new starters will get 18,5k now). Since covid evrything has changed upside down. Job role changed and we were told to do call centre calls, which is horrific. calls comming through one by one, you could be answering hundreds a day from idiots who can't or won't self serve. Management is hit and miss. I've had some fantastic managers who developed me in my role and as a person, but I've also dealt with lazy ones who care only about themselves. I'd probably avoid now as not worth it anymore.

Pros

pension, death in service (x8), 35hrs a week

Cons

working as call centre staff (even though you're branch based), generally low salary, no progression opportunities whatsoever.

Overall it’s a lovely company to work for.

Had to sadly leave in 2017 as a result of personal bullying by mid management. This does not reflect on Nationwide as a whole, as overall I feel they were a wonderful company to work for. Love to work for them again in a different area/environment!

Pros

Flexibility in every way

Cons

Personal bullying by the assistant manager

Such a fun place to work and very laid back.

Absolutely love working for Nationwide it's self and the management are superb. My role has completely changed to being a telephony based call centre which is not what I joined for. I would love to to continue my career with nationwide however there's now a very small route for progression and the role and has went back years with leaving video to do telephony due to covid. The pay isn't the greatest and your are expected to do a lot within your role but the benefits are superb with a industry leading pension, full sick pay for upto 6 months and management are very flexible. As they say all good things must come to an end it's just a shame it's came now. If you are looking for a fun, exciting and rewarding job a Personal Banking Manager is no longer that but If you don't mind a back to back call centre vibe, set breaks and a different work pattern to your team but for a company that look after you and support you then you'd be more than welcomed.

Pros

Flexible, benefits, good management.

Cons

Not much scope for progression and a monotonous role.

Best company I worked for

Have no complaints! Best company to work for, took great care of us as employees - never felt uneasy Fantastic career programme and development support and they really invest in their people

Pros

Working hours, development

Cons

Will reward longevity over ability at times

Promotion aspects there pre-pandemic, salary progression slow, high up bosses amazing, company ethics brilliant, branch politics can play a +/- effect

Pros

Progression offered, great higher up bosses

Cons

Saturdays 3/4 or 4/5, low salary

Great place to work, Hard to move up

I enjoyed every day I worked at Nationwide. It didn't matter where I went (branches, Head Office other) Everyone was the same and wanted to do what was right by people. It didn't matter if you were staff or public. Nationwide tried to remove barriers and saying 'no'. That in mind though, the salary wasn't great. They took commission (which made it a half decent salary) and changed it to a 3 month bonus. This wasn't as good but was reduced to a 6 monthly with a lower pay out. Finally, I witnessed it become annual and unless a high flyer didn't matter if you got it or not. Promotions were very hard to get as 9/10 they were already decided before the interview went out. If you did move up, you'd be told that you are going no further. I was very sad to leave but needed to for better pay. The CEO did continue to have his £3m bonus though.

Pros

Great working environment, great people, emotionally rewarding

Cons

pay, promotions

productive

Highly customer focussed atmosphere good work life balance, training and coaching. Friendly atmosphere with opportunity to grow and develop skills. Best building society culture

Jobs at Nationwide Building Society

Personal Banking Manager positions
See more jobs

Good company

You can progress if you want to within this company easily. Enjoyed my time their. Made good friends and good work parties too. Really good overall . I would recommend this for a job

Na

Brilliant company to work for, great for yourself self development and a honesty and truth worthy brand to be a part of. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting to start in the financial services.

Good Company

Nationwide highest management team has the best intentions for its staff members but middle and low management always ruin everything for the staff members.

Every Day is different and engaging

Working at Nationwide is fast paced and processes are forever changing so you need to be willing to work to new challenges and have a desire to succeed.

Customer Service is Key

As a building society, you are dealing with the public day on and day out so thick skin is required at times. Nationwide are one of the better financial institutions to work for.

A healthy workplace

Your never expected to work longer than your supposed to, as long as you can justify the work you have done and know your confident in doing the right thing for the customer you will be rewarded.

Productive and fun

It is a fantastic place to work for. We look after one another. We put our members and their mney first and their is clear strategy to help people to do self-development course. You can seek support from your colleague when you are struggling.

Standard

Standard office job. Risk of becoming irrelevant. Long hours, reasonable pay but little chance of progression. Worked as a CR. Very very similar day to day operating

Lovely place to work if your serious and want a career in banking.

Depending on department! I work within Nationwide Now conducting video conferencing from head office with members in the branch. Everyday is different even though they are the same type of appointment! Management is great and will 100% guide you for where YOU want to go. Can be flexible if you can be flexible back. I would recommend if serious in a banking career, otherwise you may find it difficult or boring. Good bonus scheme.

Pros

Every appointment is different. Good pay for the job probably competitive. Free tea coffee, water or juice. Can be flexible.

Cons

Fully committed job that may run over finishing times as its appointment based, You do get the time back.

Good hardworking environment

Managing a large portfolio of existing/new members. Offering a range of different products to them and tailoring these to their needs. Strong diary management skills needed. Management are fine, and the member (customer) is ALWAYS at the heart of everything done (which is the right way). Lots and lots of plates to constantly spin and always more asked of you. Meeting new people on a regular basis and dealing with a lot of return business is great.

Pros

Decent pension

Cons

Not enough progression now unfortunately

Mutual building society

Nationwide has a great worth ethos. If you are interested in a mutual and feel that those values are important to you , this is a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement