Nationwide Building Society
View all Nationwide Building Society reviews

Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society Employee Review

High expectations

It has taken me a long time to be open with myself about this. At first it seems to be all benefits: good training, pension, friendly team, clean branch, progression opportunity. But it doesn’t take long for the cracks to show. Management are bullies or competing to get to the next level of power. Unrealistic expectations, in order to get a pay rise you have to fill out an essay on what you have done and then rate yourself. There are no ‘targets’ yet how many appointments you’ve booked or products opened is counted on an excel sheet each month. No support when receiving abuse by customers. When Covid hit, they made branch staff take Head Office calls and reduced branch hours, with very minimal training, then further abuse from ‘members’ across the country. The final straw for me was being publicly humiliated for being off with a fever and a cough (Jan 2020) which reflecting now could have been covid. I was told in my back to work that I should’ve come in and tried to work, then be sent home and that I didn’t put in 100%. This was done during opening hours in the branch in front of the whole team. The only reason I stayed longer was because I enjoyed who I worked with, it did feel like a family.

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same role

Amazing colleagues, tough work for low pay

My experience is working as a "multi-skilled" MR, which basically means you have to do multiple jobs at once for the pay of one job, which can include things such as answering tens of phonecalls per day whilst also dealing with many members face to face and an ever increasing pile of paperwork.The base pay is shocking when you consider how much you are expected to do. The only benefit that people consistently use is the pension as others end up costing you a large amount. Realistically, for a person with so much responsibility and pressure, both from management and the public, you would expect more compensation.The colleagues and immediate management are all wonderful people which is what makes the job worth doing, but that will no doubt vary from branch to branch. If you like a challenge then this job is for you as many a member will present issues which you have not come across before.

Pros

Good pension plan, nice coworkers, flexible uniform

Cons

Low pay, many responsibilities, occational 6 day weeks, computers are awful and crash constantly
Same role

Good place to start your career

Nationwide is a great place for one to start their career. The training is extremely in-depth and there are lots of opportunities to develop further (E.g secondments, taking on additional responsibilities).

Pros

Good benefits package, generous sick pay, lots of opportunities for progression

Cons

Staff in the branches are very underpaid for the work they have to go
Same location

Relaxed environment but below industry pay!

A relaxed environment with comfortable workloads, development opportunities and new roles can be limited also. Unfortunately the biggest drawback is the below industry and market salaries and salary ranges.

Pros

Homeworking

Cons

Dated IT

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement