Natural England

Natural England Employee Reviews

United Kingdom39 reviews

flexibleteamworkingpeopletimemanagementgreatjob

Support environment

Very supportive and friendly colleagues. A strong work focus with clear objectives and freedom within the role to be creative. Excellent support from line management.

Boring repetitive tasks

The work never ends; large amounts of boring and repetitive tasks. Poor training given, with no refreshers. The system used has so many bugs it is almost unusable.

Pros

Some flexible working

Insights into Natural England

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Great people, poor pay

Amazing team, really nice people to work with. lack of progression through pay band (it was advertised in the job description but doesnt actually exist in real life).

Engaging place to work

Fun welcoming team interesting project! Highlights for me included a very varied workload and some travel to other sites, flexi time Position cut short due to loss of funding centrally but i would recommend them as a employer

Educated people with low intelligence

Job it self is very educational but staff that is in charge in NE is very low in intelligence. The only one way to get a full time job up there is when you know someone who work there full time or you very good friend with them outside of work. I call it begging for company or they always seek for acceptance and attention.

Really no leadership and very high turnover of staff

No one stayed more than a few months. No real leadership and never any thing much to do Very over staffed and no training provided Multiple mistakes made and no one really took responsibility

Friendly place to work, busy open plan office.

People friendly, helpful free on site parking. Economical restaurant and shop for snacks. Although I only worked there for three months on a temporary contract, I would have liked to have stayed but they didn’t have a suitable role.

Pros

Free tea and coffee

Cons

None I can think of

Good, but need some fresh thinking

Great place to work, lots of benefits - 33 days A/L + all bank holiday and flexible working allowed. However, culture is a bit old in general, needs a bit more fresh ideas when it comes to management. Most of the permanent staff have been there for decades.

Great cause. Terrible Organisation

Most good aspects are ruined by a careless attitude to employees welfare after leaving the organisation. NE mislead me at recruitment phase, stating that higher level roles would be made available for more money (higher level roles were made available but salary was capped to equal that at my entry point - regardless of ability). This led to my resignation. 5 months after leaving NE tell me they made a mistake and actually overpaid me for a period of 3 months: demanding payment of a substantial sum of money (via their service provider: SSCL). I don’t have the money, and I honoured every part of my promise and contract. I had no knowledge they were making this error. I adjusted my spending according to my bank balance. I have been threatened with debt collectors and my family have no idea how this will end. NE have been advised by their lawyers not to communicate with me. They have admitted their mistake but will not accept responsibility. We have suffered from months of dispute. I gave them 1 year of excellent service and this is how they repay me. Summary: Excellent Cause, some great people doing great things, but terrible organisation due to a few people making corrosive judgement calls.

Pros

Some great people and a great cause

Cons

Employees welfare is a thing of lipservice and you may be threatened after leaving, restrictive and poorly thought out system

Productive fun workplace

Great place to work with great people only worked here for 1 month had no complaints in this time. Just work hard and ensure you complete the task in hand and you will be fine

Ambiente de oficina muy divertido

Una experiencia laboral que me dió la oportunidad de saltar al mercado laboral. Una experiencia sin duda estupenda.

Like minded colleagues

I worked for Natural England for nearly two years. The benefits are great: 33 days annual leave (plus public holidays), flexitime working hours, home working, Travel time and costs out of office, great mat/paternity, pension etc. What I found most enjoyable was working with such a like minded group of people who aren't in it for the money, who really care about what their doing. I was in one of the larger teams, we all got on very well and regularly socialised outside of work. The workload was generally steady with regular deadlines, but when it did get busy other colleagues were always willing to help out if they could. Very willing to give opportunities to train and develop. Of course every where has its cons. The salaries are the lowest of the government environment sector. The organisation is a little stuck in its older ways of doing certain things although I believe this was beginning to change. Because the organisation is government funded they are very strapped for cash which does hold back the achievements of employees (although there are ways of getting around this by finding money outside of the orgnisation). Contest for promotion is high, with a lot of job swapping within the organisation, and apparent cyclical periods of promotion freezes and cut backs. Overall if you want to work some where you'll enjoy and won't be coming home over stressed or depressed this is the place. If you want to be paid well, and climb the ranks you should look elsewhere.

Pros

great work/life balance, like minded colleagues, steady workload

Cons

poor pay, difficult promotion, lack of funding

good place to work

Good company to work for. Very flexible with your working day if you need to take time off. Learned more about the environment. The job in question isn't difficult. Most of the people I work with are helpful and friendly

Pros

flexible, incentive bonuses

Cons

basic rate of pay not great, no on site parking for temporary workers

A productive and fun place to work

I started work in NE back in 2016. NE is a non department public body of the UK with tasks mostly related with environmental stewardship, meaning mostly funding for UK farmers that were eligible for such schemes.The place was really enjoyable to work mostly because the colleagues working with were very friendly. A typical day at work would involve checking web-maps related to agreement holders, check the database regarding their crop quantities, inspect that everything is in accordance with guidelines. Double check with the inspection findings, apply penalty if not after first corresponding with them and preparing invoice for the penalty. There were all sorts of forms for new agreement holders as well but this is a small part of what I did. I learnt a lot, besides the database skills I had to correspond with agents or the agreement holder themselves. So I believe this job helped me improve my communication skills overall. Managers was very good to work with, although because guidelines changed a lot you had to personally check for them with lack of overall training from superiors. It was a very flexible and good entry level as a job but I am looking for something more related to my field,

Pros

Quite flexible

Cons

Low pay and career advancement seemed hard

Team great

Team great but job security need to be adapted Team very sociable gained NVQ 2 qualification Management lack of flexability Challenging work Speak to a variation of people from farmer to hiarchey

Pros

flexi

Cons

job security

Enjoyable, team-oriented workplace

Through my brief stint working at Natural England I became familiar with the organisations system of land-use designations based on Higher Level Stewardship (HLS) grants administered to landowners, covering areas as diverse as archaeological management and environmental conservation. Reviewing landholdings and assessing whether grand conditions were still being met was interesting, rewarding work (albeit occasionally frustrating when trying to reach hard-to-contact landholders) made better through working with a relaxed and supportive team.

Pros

Flexible hours, good team, interesting work

Cons

Low pay, Temporary contract

Natural England is a great place to work, the atmosphere is one of knowledge and progress with relaxing undertones to help keep the staff happy, that is to say it is not without stress, but the management are very supportive to the needs of the staff. The flexi system means that you are able to make your work/life balance what you need it to be. They have an array of training courses available so you are able to advance yourself mentally.

Pros

Flexi work

Flexible, Modern

the office is open from 7am to 7pm, flexitime is good for some people and not for others, this helped me a lot with my lifestyle. the office is modern and pleasant to be in. the staff there are lovely and laid back.

Pros

Flexible Hours, Flexitime

Cons

non

Professional Government agency

Employing nearly 2500 people in a flexible, professional working environment, Natural England offers a valuable service to land managers, developers and planners on all aspects of the natural environment.

Complete lack of any progression.

There is very little opportunity for progression at Natural England. Lots of opportunities to be exploited, while they get people to do work above their grade but not promote them.

Pros

Nice work environment

Cons

No career progression

I wouldn't work here again

I have spent 2.5 years at Natural England.Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan. I feel that mediocrity is welcomed. I feel that there is a lack of real talent or genuine intelligence, which becomes frustrating as it feels as if though little is achieved and ideas lack real vision. I have had rather poor line management; the first manager did very little, the second being a micro-manager. I will be glad to escape.

Pros

Flexible working patterns

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Natural England. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement