NatWest

NatWest Employee Reviews

United Kingdom666 reviews

bankingtargetbankbranchprogressionquerywhilstrb

Poor Pay & Toxic

Make a mistake - there goes your pitiful pay rise….25+ years in and it went downhill - badlyPressure to do more and more.Bell curve strictly applied and based mainly on popularity.If your on the wrong end you don’t get a rise and due to low mark can’t apply for an internal job for 12mthsThey love managing people out.Don’t expect your manager to support you when things go wrong Luckily I never fell victim to a lot of this , but I witnessed a lot of it!

Pros

None now

Cons

As in narrative

Awful place to work

Awful place to work. Barely any training and yet expected to know everything. Poor management. Expected to come in before shift to count, not paid for this. Management sat in back office for most of the day. Toxic culture. Ended up being sick through work and left.

Cons

Horrible culture.

Insights into NatWest

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Decent place

I work in account opening, the job is nice and easy but it did take a while to get good at the job. There is a lot of progression but you need to be good at your job.

Awful place. Targets above everything

Too much pressure to hit and exceed unrealistic targets. Not enough understanding from the powers above who haven't a clue what the job is really like so long as they get their bonus. This leads to widespread stress and illness. Constantly told that the customer is at the heart of everything and right the first time. Just words. In reality, you are now just a number and easily replaceable apparently. Next to none of the benefits that the job used to offer years ago.

Pros

its a job

Cons

pressure, unrealistic targets

Prepare to be stressed

I use to be based in branch. Very very sales orientated no matter how much they tell you it's not. "Goals" as they say is just another word for sales target. And yes you will be an underperformer at risk of being managed out if you don't achieve all sales targets.After 5 years of branch I moved to HR. Culture isn't great. Stressful. No regard given to wellbeing. Pay is low for what your asked to do. I'm not on the friendliest team so my perception isn't the best. They just seem to pile more and more work on you. The bosses above don't really care although best believe they will send you out a newsletter telling you how they spent their half term skiing in Switzerland with their family. Meanwhile you'll be debating between heating and eating. Annual leave allowance isn't too bad. 28 days. Pay review every year. Sick pay included as part of your benefit package.

A lot to learn do job can vary from day to day

The local bank where I worked had an excellent manager but I believe that person has now moved to another branch. Lovely team, no cliques and people there with many years experience were always helpful. Sales targets were unreasonable however and the fall out if you didn't make target was very demotivating.

Intimidating managers

If you didn’t have any of your allocated break you couldn’t go to the toliet, which is against human rights. Mangers had favourites and if you were not one of them you would have to do all the mangers dirty work. No support when complaints from customers just left to your own devices

Pros

Air conditioned offices, private health care

Cons

Long hours, no toliet breaks

not so great

just my personal experience was not great been there for a while, and i have not had any help with progression if you are front line you are forgotten. pay is not great.

Hours fly by

When the branch is busy the day goes super quick.Management is great Many opportunities if you put your mind to it.Loads of things to learn on the job though, but it comes with training and practice

Productive, fun and easy going people

A good working environment. everyone is so supportive and friendly! you are not punished for making mistakes so you feel safe and also learn from it. everyone strives to be much better.

Collections advisor

Too many systems to deal with daily and they can be unreliable and crash. Micro management happens here. Some managers are understanding of you if you can't get something done for a reason, others will try to bring you down. Bad because of systems and management. At the end of the day you're just a number.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Bad management and systems

Rude managers and long hours

Really struggled to fit in as the managers where so condescending. We were expected to work extra hours with no overtime and they didn't give much training even though they promised they would

Awful

All I have to say is what is wrong with these people I have never known anything like it, constant changes to your role and emails every 5 minutes with changes and threats of disciplinary's if you aren't following these changes they make, this job will break you down

Fast paced and unrealistic goals

I worked in NatWest as a Senior Personal Banker in Bexleyheath. Lack of inclusivity, immediately felt marginalised upon arrival. Lack of care from management even when stating issues outside of work and overall unrealistic targets as a Senior personal banker. Highly stressful and in contrast highly rewarding only if supported by management.

Pros

Potentially rewarding

Cons

Lack of support, poor training and lack of inclusivity.

Demanding, pressurised role.

Full on role where every second of your day must be accounted for. Expectations of superb customer service, which is perfectly acceptable, but not always possible when there are unreasonable call time targets and an ever increasing number of goals to reach during those calls. Very stressful and pressurised, not something I believe is sustainable for the long term.

Customer Eccentric And Colleague Wellbeing Paramount to NatWest

Work hard, play harder.NatWest is a place where customers are always put at the heart of everything I do.The business pride themselves on customer service and collegue wellbeing.

Good job for just getting out of college

- Very repetitive but easy to learn new processes. - Can be over worked very easily as not hiring new staff to fill in gaps for high turn over in departments so can be stressful - the people you end up working with make the job better - managers are always happy to help career aspects

Unprofessional

Unprofessional environment where you are treated unfairly and personal feelings is used to decide where you are placed.Management tend to be in their feelings and If that's the case you then suffer the consequences.

Pros

Discount on insurance

Cons

No structure

This is sales job not customer service

From start to finish of the day is very stressful, target driven job and goals are unrealistic. Everything is all about numbers from customers you attend to the number of products SOLD per day and you are been observed weekly, criticised and judged by managers. They don’t care about the customers or employees well-being but only care about the company’s profit. It’s impossible to take time off work without coming back to deficits, meaning you have to double sell before going on annual leave which is impossible then you are been threatened of loosing your job.

Biggest mistake and waste of my life

Wasted 15 years of my life for this company. Manager & Area Manager made me work beyond shift hours and wouldn’t pay me for the work I’d done. Too many secrets and people gossiping within the managerial team. Lack of trust. Lunch break is 1hr but would only get about 10 minutes. Managers would expect you to do the work of at least 3 people, which is highly unrealistic. Management will only support you for a few months when you join then you are on your own from there. Well known fact that they make £££ in profit but only the top dogs see this benefit. Most people are entirely overworked and underpaid. Cannot confide in a member of the managerial team without it getting backfired (lack of trust). They’re all snakes hidden behind a smile.

Fun workplace

Enjoyed my time here. Staff were lovely. Salary was not so great. But good job prospects and opportunities when I worked there although promotion was slow. Wouldn’t go back to banking now as the industry has changed so much like everything else being online.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NatWest. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NatWest with

• NatWest
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?