Network Rail

Network Rail Employee Reviews

Featured review
Network Rail selected this as a representative review
Not what you would expect at all run more like a private sector company. Progressive, caring employer ample opportunities to progress. Great benefits and good work/life balance.
3 February 2021
Thanks so much for your review, and we're so pleased that you are enjoying your experience.
3 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, it's really appreciated.
3 February 2021
Thank you for leaving such a great review, it's really apprecited!
Good place to work, managers depend on where you work, fridge in a tree springs to mind, yes its up there but its anyones guess how it got there!! Great pay and bonuses.
I worked in the signalling grades for 27 yrs until I took severance package worst decision I've ever made I'd go back and work there again tomorrow, good colleagues and management in my area and good career opportunities
Work you to the bone, for no gain.Don’t care about mental health, don’t have any respect for you. No breaks, no family life. Terrible money to risk your life.They breach the data protection act
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
Network Rail offers a challenging work environment and one where you feel part of a collaborative and team focused - to achieve the goals and expectations asked of you.
Pros
Working environment
Cons
Not that I am aware
Management is poorDifferent Grades of Managers Support none at all only care aboutThemselves.Too many chiefs giving out order'sThey don't have a clue about Security.British Transport Police are a joke.Standards of policing around our transport system now is so Bad.Definitely not safe to travel at certain times.They need to take more control of Fare Dodger's and do the job properly.Knife Crime is on the increase.
Pros
Never
Cons
Have to work long hours to get decent wage
Senior management can bully. If you report it you will likely pay a higher price. I feel that Network Rail tick boxes and talk the talk but when push come to shove keep quiet and lay low.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Bullying is rife
To many rules,which are not followed by local management , we constantly being briefed on new rules and procedures ,but when work dosent get completed ,or less work is completed because of people following rules and procedures ,we are then bombarded with please explain emails, and your life will quickly become utter misery
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad management
Good company , good pay .promotion in job available , continuous training and job satisfaction . holiday package and pension. Incentives to progres in company
The pay for a gap year was brilliant and so were the collegues. Everyone was very warming and worked together well as a team and supported each other. The job involved alot of data entry and was very fast pased.
3 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear your positive experience when you were working here.
Having worked for this company I can honestly say it is not for people who are non white! A horrible company to work for. Full of nepotism and racism. Avoid at all costs if you are a BME
Pros
Great if you are white
Cons
Miserable place if your are not white!
25 September 2020
Hi and thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We were really concerned to hear about your experience and we'd really appreciate if you could share this with 'Speak Out', a confidential reporting service run on our behalf by an independent company. You can use the service to report concerns, suspicions or knowledge of wrongdoing taking place at Network Rail. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and you can make a report anonymously, if you wish. You can access Speak Out by calling 0808 143 0100 or online at www.intouchfeedback.com/networkrail I've also provided a link to our 'Everyone Matters' strategy to share our vision on becoming an open, diverse and inclusive organisation, across the organisation. https://www.networkrail.co.uk/who-we-are/diversity-and-inclusion/everyone-strategy/Please do use the speak out line, and thank you again for sharing your experience.
was ok but a lot of people there in the wrong job that they are not qualified or good enough to do they apply for the job and if they are only candidate they will get the job .
Pros
they supply good ppe
Cons
to many to name
I have a friend with over 25 years work experience who has worked on some of the biggest infrastructure projects in the country. He has more knowledge and expertise than most of my current colleagues put together. However, he has been turned down for 3 jobs by this very narrow minded and arrogant organisation. They can't see that people might have transferable that could be an asset to us.
Pros
Not too many unfortunately
Cons
Poor managers, poor judgement and no loyalty
Will brush any form of harrassment under the carpet. Either put up with it or be quiet as otherwise you'll find yourself without a job, and made to feel like the treatment is deserved. Male dominated work force - so expect a be treated lesser than a man if you are female. Any complaints will not be taken seriously, and and instead you will be made out to be a liar, and your working hours affected with detriment to yourself. I would'nt bother eben applying to work here, let alone work for Network Rail.
Pros
Paid On Time. Some lovely work colleagues.
Cons
Fails to support staff, Will allow harrassment in the work place, Management bully staff, Reduces working hours with no advance warning.
25 September 2020
Great work life balance culture and priority of safety is at the forefront. New challenges every day and projects can vary. Graduate Scheme is very good and allows a variety of experiences and opportunities.
Pros
Discount Season Ticket, flexible working arrangement
Cons
Hard to progreess
A company with many opportunities for growth due to its size and diversity of departments. Very strong H&S and equal opportunities culture. Great pension and benefit schemes. Remuneration can be a bit stagnant.
Pros
Pension and Benefits
Cons
Bureaucracy and lack of collaboration
It was a very bad experience working for network rail as I worked 6 month and they then told me I wasn’t in title to a bursary so I worked 6 month for nothing and did not finish the course but had to look at the bright side of learning experience and routine of a work life
I worked at Stafford as an overhead lines engineer, the older blokes were great as they can teach a lot, but the management were utter joke, our “ technical chief engineer “ worked in a corner shop out of hours !!!!!!! , other office staff never gave a toss about the blokes , only their hair !! . I left after a short while as I was subject to their passive bullying all because I commuted by rail and I didn’t own a car !!
25 September 2020
Hi and thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We were really concerned to hear about your experience and we'd really appreciate if you could share this with 'Speak Out', a confidential reporting service run on our behalf by an independent company. You can use the service to report concerns, suspicions or knowledge of wrongdoing taking place at Network Rail. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and you can make a report anonymously, if you wish. You can access Speak Out by calling 0808 143 0100 or online at www.intouchfeedback.com/networkrail Please do use the speak out line, and thank you again for sharing your experience.
An organisation helps in maintaining the major transport infrastructure in the country. Good Organization that takes good care of their employees. Always lakes safety paramount .
I have worked here several years and it is very much luck of the draw if you end up working in a good or bad department. HR are horrendous as other employees have mentioned. All employees have a legal and moral right to be protected from bullying and poor behaviour from managers. All I can say to new employees is just use this company to gain valuable work experience and training. Then move onto a better employer as soon as you can.....
Would never recommend this company to anybody. Hr and management are horrendous. 9 people in department have left and ongoing court cases due to theft, harrasment, bullying by managers.
  1. Employee reviews