Network Rail

Network Rail Employee Reviews

Generally it was good, however collaboration by some colleagues were not so good. They won't give importance to giving vital information and this type of things I found very stressful. I like to do my job on time and with good quality
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Not so good on collaboration
Well structured department and team. Inclusive and supportive network of staff. Good progression. Reviews and appraisals. Interesting engineering roles.
I was at Network Rail for a few months. I was treated fairly and the same as any other member of permanent staff. Management were great, and very approachable. I really enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Great staff
Network rail is a very good place to work. Great management that will mentor you to progress within the industry. Good pay and every day is different.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
My team leadership and inclusivity with support was better than many other organisations I've worked for.The passion and depth of knowledge with the willingness to share for everybody's advancement was impressive.
Pros
Atmosphere and collaboration
Cons
Administration and resource housekeeping could benefit from updating and spring-clean.
POOR MANAGEMENT, they belittle anyone on a lower role and look down on you , full of drama , they contact you out of your hours through the night via phone call and email , expected to do more than you’re paid for and so many cases of CONSTRUCTIVE DISMISSAL . Do not bother here , I have been here for years and every day is too stressful .
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management, childish behaviour, backstabbing, constructive dismissals, verbal abuse, managers refuse to allow staff to work from home through covid but tel the public otherwise, unfair, bias
Stressful with no support from senior management. No guidance when asked . I found there was lack of team work .Frustration would set in with and why NR would accept uncompleted works planned of each day.You can’t expect the inexperienced graduate or supervisors to resolve issues when they don’t knowThe staff on the coal face needs to be updated with the process it takes to gain access to the infrastructureA change needs to happen.employ experienced railway staff making them accountable and responsibility delivering quality work mentoring graduates and supervisors In this day and age of the railway There are to many supervisors and graduates that need hands on experience required to progress with their careers
Pros
Free courses
Cons
Managers who don't know what they doing, so just pass everything to their staff. Managers who shout at staff and don't assess them correctly. And if you dare to complaint the company tries to do nothing and then punishes you. Took the severance, best thing ever .
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Bullying Manager
Network Rail is a perfect place to work as a graduate as it allows for flexibility giving you the opportunity to work on whatever and wherever you want. However, it is not a place I would recommend staying long term due to bad workplace culture and the lack of feeling of progress for those that strive to do better. The work does feel meaningless at times and depending on location and your own background you can be left feeling left out or unwanted.
Pros
Not challenging work.
Cons
Little space for making big changes.
One get training for courses to help know the equipment and do the well some experience and training like apprenticeship. You should be a team player working with other. Assisting new members of staff.
Pros
Have your own lunch
Cons
42 hrs per week
Unfair to part timers, Bullying in many teams, Many broken promises, Very poor management ,Not equal in promotional opportunities Poor communication
Cons
Bullying
I worked as a contractor. There are many issues associated with big organisations which frustrate change and efficiency. Network Rail suffered these to a lesser extent over many others. Most folk I worked with were passionate about the rail industry and its successful future. There are many pockets of exciting innovation with ears willing to listen to improvements. There are many willing to share knowledge and time to help support innovative change which is immensely refreshing. Experts are often willing find time to contribute to improvements. The hardest part for contractors is the administrative processes.
Pros
Great management structures.
Cons
Administration and legacy cultures.
Good place to work, managers depend on where you work, fridge in a tree springs to mind, yes its up there but its anyones guess how it got there!! Great pay and bonuses.
Not what you would expect at all run more like a private sector company. Progressive, caring employer ample opportunities to progress. Great benefits and good work/life balance.
3 February 2021
Thanks so much for your review, and we're so pleased that you are enjoying your experience.
3 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, it's really appreciated.
3 February 2021
Thank you for leaving such a great review, it's really apprecited!
I worked in the signalling grades for 27 yrs until I took severance package worst decision I've ever made I'd go back and work there again tomorrow, good colleagues and management in my area and good career opportunities
Work you to the bone, for no gain.Don’t care about mental health, don’t have any respect for you. No breaks, no family life. Terrible money to risk your life.They breach the data protection act
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
Network Rail offers a challenging work environment and one where you feel part of a collaborative and team focused - to achieve the goals and expectations asked of you.
Pros
Working environment
Cons
Not that I am aware
Management is poorDifferent Grades of Managers Support none at all only care aboutThemselves.Too many chiefs giving out order'sThey don't have a clue about Security.British Transport Police are a joke.Standards of policing around our transport system now is so Bad.Definitely not safe to travel at certain times.They need to take more control of Fare Dodger's and do the job properly.Knife Crime is on the increase.
Pros
Never
Cons
Have to work long hours to get decent wage
Senior management can bully. If you report it you will likely pay a higher price. I feel that Network Rail tick boxes and talk the talk but when push come to shove keep quiet and lay low.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Bullying is rife
To many rules,which are not followed by local management , we constantly being briefed on new rules and procedures ,but when work dosent get completed ,or less work is completed because of people following rules and procedures ,we are then bombarded with please explain emails, and your life will quickly become utter misery
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad management
Good company , good pay .promotion in job available , continuous training and job satisfaction . holiday package and pension. Incentives to progres in company
  1. Employee reviews