Network Rail

Network Rail Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative15 reviews
United Kingdom15 reviews

railwaynetworkorganisationsignalprogressionpensionroleliaise

Front line staff culture & no benefits.

Shift work, no flexible working but you have to be flexible for them & cover all shifts over seven days. Your health or work life balance is irrelevant to them - you follow the rota. Strange work colleagues; foreign & indigenous; clearly displaying signs of mental retardedness - SSMs'/managers are usually promoted from these ranks. Pay has dropped considerably since I started (was on old contract) & I would not want to do it on the current salary. Silly polyester uniform is given & you are supposed to feel proud wearing it & eager to help low IQ customers' with their enquiries - all on low pay. They can't even give you free train travel to make up for the low wages!

Pros

Job security

Cons

Shift work, toxic work environment, low pay, no free travel.

Great place for career development

Network rail is a very good place to work. Great management that will mentor you to progress within the industry. Good pay and every day is different.

Pros

Good work life balance

Insights into Network Rail

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager

good company to work for

Decent pay and really good opportunity for progression. Management tends to be good but terms of employment in my sector are not great. Sometimes working 47 hours or more each week with no extra pay.

Pros

Plenty of opportunities

Cons

Varied long hours

fun workplace

Overall very good. was a very fun workplace great team also good job culture. everyone was more like a family. The whole station knew each other and everyone had each others backs. Would've loved to have stayed but i was working on a temporary contract.

Pros

Great team

overview

Working for Network Rail as a customer servive agent has been a fantastic experience as I have improved my social skills. However the workplace culture and the management at the Echo call centre which runs the campaign on behalf of Network Rail was low standard. The management team was extremely unprofessional, and didn't have good people skills, agents were fired in such a fast speed that was disgraceful. People should not be treated like that, no sign of respect for employees at all. Also not all agents were asked to do work on the social media side of the campaign which that is unacceptable in 2018 when we live in a society that we are predominately living on social media. Therefore it did not come by surprise when we find out that the campaing is closing down in Bristol just after 5 months of its launch and be relocated back in Hull. Everybody was made redundant! Oh well! Very bad managements!

Pros

Central Bristol easy to get to

Cons

Awful management

Very Good Envoriment to Work

I work at Stratford international station where most of time it is a very busy environment. I do interact with all different levels of passengers from different cultures. I enjoy assisting and providing professional, high standard customer service to all passengers and public who travels through our stations. I found my job role challenging and entertaining same time. Most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you helped or assist some body to get to their destination on time and safely. You have tried your best to provide with information and assistant that they may need it. However hardest part of the job is that seen some body walk away from you with dissatisfaction not because of you not doing your job but some other uncontrollable outside factors such as train disruptions etc... However I always tried my best to give our customers some other alternative options to give them a bit of relieve and valued feeling to walk away with. Over 21 years that I have worked in different customer service related jobs I have attained very good communication and conflict management skills where I found it very beneficial even dealing in my daily life. I have worked with different levels of managements and line managers throughout my career in railways and security industries, I have seen many good management skill and taken on board many good qualities to be added to my knowledge where I do use it to lead my other team members when it is necessary. My work place culture it is brilliant because I work with people with diversity and different back grounds where I learn about different -

Pros

Travel Card discount

Cons

weekends 12 hours shift

Its a nice environment to work

Nice environment to work in there is always something to do. Working at a busy station it is very exhausting and you are on your feet the whole day. Overall it is a fun work place where the team are close.

Pros

75% discounted travel

Cons

long hours, poor management

good place to work

i work here as a customer service assistant providing train information to customers off ipad/pc it is a very busy station highly pressurised , is a customer facing role

Beneficial

Working at Network Rail has so many advantages as long as you work hard. Working within the customer service role it's a busy and hectic day but the days go fast and very fulfilling

Pros

Salary

Cons

Long hours and shift work

Notworkfail

It's long hours and you don't get paid for doing over time which you have to do. The management aren't that good especially if you need flexible hours. I was returned from maternity leave applied for family friendly policy for flexible working and was turned down 3 times. Impossible to have a life outside of the job. It can be boring as your walking around station all day. Pay isn't bad but your working a lot of hours for it.

Pros

Pension scheme is good

Cons

Long hours, boring and politics

helping disabled customers didn't learn much ok management good co-workers dealing with difficult customers meeting people

Very good place to work

There are lots of opportunity for development. Currently I work at Manchester Piccadilly train station which can be very vibrant and challenging. It is a very sociable job and I currently work shifts. I have worked within HR as a Recruiter and also been involved in a resignalling project.

Pros

good benefits

Able to work to tight deadlines, Excellent attention to detail, Flexible and positive attitude

Prioritise daily workload in the order of relative importance.Outstanding time management skills – operate in an arena where everything is acute.Maintain effective cost control through a process of delay attribution.Display strong analytical skill, envisage, articulate and solve complex problems.Making realistic decisions based on all the available information working to time sensitive deadlines.Hold telephone conferences keeping the customer up to date, Negotiate, and meet deadlines on projects.Accommodate our clients concerns when the schedule doesn’t meet the end users expectations re-examine the plan giving consideration to the initial request.Producing documentation for the drivers and other operational staff.Consistently examine administrative effectiveness and seek better procedures, developing policies and procedure to improve the assignment.

Pros

having all the organisation's centre of operation's in one hub, gym, library, restaurants, shops & cash machines

A day in the life of a customer service assistant

Here at St Pancras International we have two teams - we have the mobility assistant's and the security officers. I am on the security side of things. Firstly I am a here to help customers with there everyday needs such as information about the trains, whats local or tourist information. No two days are alike! Since we are a big station we have a mixture of domestic and international services. My duties (other than helping the customers) are to carry out regular security checks in the area I have been given to patrol. This is done every hour (without fail). We do this to pro-actively ensuring the protection of station property and assets and creating a safe and comfortable working environment for employees and visitors. Other duties are directing emergency vehicles and other traffic if a major incident occurs. Responding to emergency situations as they arise. Accurately reporting all incidents to senior managers.Preventing and detecting offences on site. Conducting searches of personnel, vehicles and bags etc. Producing written reports. Liaising with the emergency services, police, ambulance and fire service to resolve issues and maintain security and service. This is just some of what is required of me and the team. I would saw pros are that no two days are the same, you are always being challenged to better your knowledge and you get to meet a wide range of different people however cons are being constanly on the move (as in walking non stop) weather can be very cold due to the station being open and long days. Over all not a bad job.

Pros

travel perks

Cons

long hours, weather, shift work

It was work.Egg shell.

The industry is safety-led and the processes put in place dictated the culture.You were kitted to be self sufficient.You could slip in and out within the bounds of your roster and deployment,and just be you.Starting shift: You arrive before your rostered shift,sign in and disappear.No don't get me wrong.Everything you need is with you already.Any additional information is in your pigeon hole or on the notice board.Its your responsibility to read them.So, to "disappear" is in not being required to make any contact with anybody to do your work ,so long as you have been certified competent by passing the RULES.But Big Brother is watching over you.Yes,the mangers make sure that all shifts are covered by checking the signing in sheet.And the platform mirrors co-workers relation-ship.It can be fun,it can be "stiff" it can be malleable.Whatever it is,it is those on it on the day.A sully one today could be the chatty one tomorrow,but sure a different pair.Managing the fallout from an inclement weather,is the hardest part of the job;stemming the tide of frustration from a weary journey which needed home comfort is arrested by a frosty rail track or signal failure.Oh, the shades of colour.Human appreciation is the most enjoyable part of the job.You see humanity in all its colours.Talk of what I learnt:All is not as it seems.Not that I am only coming to terms with this cliche' at my age,no,but there is safety in numbers.I tried and stretched my skills of flexibility and adaptability.It was an experience.

Pros

70% off season ticket.

Cons

the travelling time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Network Rail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement