Network Rail
Happiness score is 65 out of 100
View all Network Rail reviews

Network Rail

Network Rail Employee Review

Job for a young new starter

Hours are horrendous they got a policy of 12 hour shifts now . If you are new and don’t know the rules and procedures you be ok , but if you were a dinosaur like me and know the rules and not a yes man to break them as they try to do, retired for a year now after 40 years within the industry and can say best retiring best thing I have done , last 10 years the change in railway is worst it’s ever been. The changes have not been for the better and the rules and procedures are such that it’s very hard to complete your task or job.

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same role

Very political and quite bullying atmosphere

I have worked for Network Rail for 19 years, I have recently made 2 honest mistakes due too personal issues, and they made it their priority to get me sacked.

Cons

Productive and hard working

Every day was different, you had to be alert when things went wrong. The hardest part of the job was to deal with certain incidences, i.e. Fatalities, but the enjoyable part of it was getting the satisfaction out of doing the job well in a professional manner.

Happy and productive workplace

I work shifts so the nature of my day depends on the shift worked. Early and late shift is to be on stand by at major station / junction in case of a point failure / crossing failure or any other incident that may disrupt the railway network during the morning & evening peaks. This would be until after the peak then area checks and patrols of secure areas and to check any contractors working trackside for safe working precedures and competences. Also any incidents that crop up during the shift, anything from track circuit failure to fatality and all else between. The night shift normally either checking or helping where possible. Any trespass or theft reported to Network Rail control centre would be responded to by me with the British Transport Police. The experience that has been abosorbed over the years has been of great use in various situations and incidents. As a manager of an area, my line managers and above support and work as a team to keep the railway running.I work with a team of two others. We work alternate shifts so work alone alot, but in major incidents such as fatalities, de-railments, major signalling situations we are all called to work together. The hardest part of my job is obviously the fatalities that occur regularly. But it all has to be dealt with professionally and quickly, but with compassion to get the rail network up and running again.The best part of the job is knowing youv'e done a good job and the network gets back to normal in a quick and orderly fashion.

Pros

free rail travel (as on old b.r contract) wages are good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Network Rail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Network Rail with

• Network Rail
  • Job for a young new starter