Newcastle College

Newcastle College Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Hard work and well organized. Regimental.

Very good place to work, hard work,now left due to back pain, not suitable, only suitable for fit person, but enjoyable, all staff very helpful and friendly.

Pros

Nice early morning job

Cons

Not many hours

interviews/recruitment

Over the past 15 months jobs have been offered to people prior to any interviews taking place.People turn up for interviews not knowing the position had been filled weeks before.The ones they want to employ are given the interview questions prior to their interview and even coached on what to say during it.

Pros

Cons

constantly micro managed and lied to

You are really looked after from day one working here, induction and buddied up with a colleague who takes you around the campus, meeting other staff members and set you at ease

Pros

Hours, holidays, progression routes

Cons

Not enough planning time on site for lessons

Hard work

With class sizes on the increase, and moneys for extra staff at a low , your contracts change constantly, if you don’t sign the new contract your out . Working with old and dated equipment was hard to teach students of the real world , it’s not all doom and gloom, rate of pay was fair , holidays lots of ,due to all the overtime you had to do.Countless training days , that was managed by outside companies that had no bearing on current issues.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Extremely long hours, and working weekends

Good place to learn

We had couple times a week working on the bistro kitchen with a great and funny headchef, that always helped and teaching us new things.Very nice place to relax and study at the same time

I enjoy working at the college and all colleagues. Management are supportive, fully trusted to get on with the job at hand. Good training for staff full CPD days.

Pros

Good salary, not micro managed and trusted to do the job you are paid to do. Full support from Management.

Cons

Parking on site at the campus not great, unless there first thing or afternoon.

Teaching placement

I completed my teaching placement at Newcastle College, where I enjoyed teaching a group of students a subject I am so passionate about. I was giving the opportunity to design my own lesson plans and activities, and gained experience in adapting my lesson plans where needed. Throughout my placement at Newcastle college, I felt that the lecturers which I worked alongside of were very supportive and always willing to help when needed.

Great staff but bullying culture

Long hours expected, little support from managers but staff are brilliant. Plenty of holidays but restricted when you can take them. Learners don't have restrictions or disciplined so run the place.

Us and them

The college is large and has many staff. There is a disconnect between senior staff and the rest and it is difficult to know what the work culture should be.

Over worked under paid

Company does not care about it's staff or students , bums on seats , and dare you join a union I started off with teaching 40 students a year with an assistant ended up with 97 needing weekly progress reviews marking tracking etc my wage in 8 yrs did not increase and with the 10 hr days plus weekend marking I was on less than minimum wage. You never got any support higher than yr line manager ,I doubt the principal even knew my name as he never acknowledged me or any in my team even when one teacher who had spent 20 plus years there teaching did he even speak to her when she left. Management drive round in their BMW s juggling rating schemes for students with temperature charts and sacking pastoral care, student counsellors etc yet they spend thousands on replacing furniture and re painting fences the correct blue .

Pros

Hard working colleaguesCompany

Cons

Wage, works, out, less, than minimum

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Newcastle College?

Nice Place

It was a very nice, clean and welcoming place with very helpful staff that could help with any inquiry at all. All of the equipment that was needed for certain tasks were provided and all worked.

Pros

Up to date equipment

Cons

Toilets could have been more pleasant

Un professional

Over worked Undervalued As Progression coach you are expected to do what a lecturer would do. But only given a progression coach wage and holidays. No one knows what the job role entails including management. You are expected to teach students and are subject to observations when you do not have a lecturers role / wage. My advice to anyone applying for a job here... DONT!

A good place to work.

Newcastle college promotes a Good Place to Work attitude. I have found that to be true. However they are under going a change in structure and things may change.

Newcastle college

It was good learning at Newcastle college, there was nice staff, nice students and a very good atmosphere. I was able to achieve a lot while being at Newcastle college.

Very busy though enjoyable when working with learners. However I left the college a number of years ago so this may well have changed. Management were extremely busy and so were not always able to be supportive. The hours were very long and there was little positive life balance

Pros

great students

Cons

poor life balance

Productive, fun place

Good college, teaches you a lot about cars systems in detail and goes over them with you working on cars in there workshops. In small groups so everyone can contribute to the team effort going into a task.

Excellent Mentoring

At Newcastle College I received excellent mentoring during my employment, in an inspirational and supportive department. Colleagues were motivational and supportive. Policies and procedures were clear.

Pros

Excellent atmosphere for progression

temp

on a temp contract - would happily take a perm here - nice place to work friendly staff and very comfortable surroundings - salary a little low but massive holidays for the perms staff A*

Enjoyed my time studying here.

Enjoyed my time studying here. When studying here I enjooyed myself and made new friends. Newcastle is great and I had good fun. Yes no, ok yes I'll leave a review.

Pros

opposite of cons

Cons

Ican't remember

Good Team work

Home based Skills Trainer. Delivery of apprenticeships working alongside various employers. I have been fortunate that Newcastle College funded my Diploma in Teaching in the Life Long Learning Section. Which helped me to prepare and deliver various levels of qualifications to a wide range of learners.

Pros

Home based

Productive and fun workplace

It was a Fellowship Programme once a week with some students from Newcastle College interacting with the staff to promote and attend the Newcastle College Public Lecture Series Attend and participate in the Newcastle College RSA Committee Attend and present the research in the British Conference for Undergraduate Research (BCUR) Write a blog post experience Attend and present at the HE Student Conference Assist in peer reviewing the Newcastle College Student Journal Seven Bridges Work on a project focused on enhancing the student experience at Newcastle College Participate in feedback forums Engage in learning and teaching activities