Newcastle University
Happiness score is 78 out of 100

Newcastle University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom128 reviews

Good part-time job whilst being a student

I worked as a research assistant whilst being a student at Newcastle. It was a wonderful way to earn money on the side. I was able to decide which projects I wanted to take on depending on how busy I was at the time. The lecturers I worked with were very helpful and flexible.

Productive and fun workplace

Great place to work at as a student. Various opportunities to do part-time work on campus. University administrator provided lots of support and training to do the job.

Insights into Newcastle University

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • General feeling of work happiness
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Great people, supportive environment

The department I worked (and studied) in was great and I have nothing negative to say about it. Lack of student engagement can be discouraging, but the staff are very supportive and kind.

Pros

Great learning environment

Cons

Uncertainty about hours of work every term

Fun place, marred by management

The most enjoyable part of this job was the people - a real sense of camaraderie, everyone in this together. Together we achieved some fantastic things in IT, there was always new projects, new technology and etc. to get involved with. All in the midst of thousands of young people having the time of their lives. Brilliant!However... there's a real exodus from IT at the moment, largely due to management. I'm not sure what the thinking is here, but continual re-organisations have not helped, and there is very little chance of progression. You want to move up the ranks? Leave, and then come back, is the only way.

Relaxed research environment, sometimes even too relaxed

Mostly tied to academic projects. Unless holding a role of an academic, like lecturer, reader or professor there is no long run prospect to stay as most of the projects are 5, 3 or sometimes even 1 year time duration.

I worked in the catering department and really enjoyed my time there. Team were great and really approachable management however you rarely saw anyone above your line managers.

Unprofessional - blame culture

Unprofessional managers - if they make errors they will attempt to just blame other members of the team. Shout and swear in meetings. Cause unnecessary stress and pressure making a typical work day far less productive. Complete lack of communication. Worst job I have ever had.

Pros

There are non

Cons

management and HR

Fun and productive.

Working for the university was fun and really contributed to my CV. I would highly recommend this if you are given the opportunity, as my role was flexible and well paid.

Pros

Flexible hours.

Cons

None!

Good place to wirk

Everyone needs a cleaner, so it's a good job to be in to these days. Good pay good holidays, like the job and people I work with. Easy to get by bus or metro, staff benefits at many places.

Pros

Staff, benefits, reduced travel costs

Cons

Some times have to work one day over weekends

Unprofessional, blame culture, disorganised

Some managers think the university is their territory and they have the rights to behave and speak in a way they like! They behave you like a vehicle rather than a human and they proudly say it to your face. They make you unsafe and sick.Some managers are not accountable and committed at all and they expect you to do their jobs and if you resist they disrespect, shout and degrade you. An obvious example of having lack of knowledge and having a non-scientific mindset and approach. This probably is because that they are not well trained.

Pros

Cons

Nothing is organised

Unprofessional - blame culture

Pros

There are non

Cons

management and HR

Interesting place to work

The University is a great place to work and I was sad when my contract came to an end. I had weekly meetings with my manager and I was able to raise any matters of concern. She was always supportive and helpful. My job role was very diverse and no two days were the same. The work culture is respectful and inclusive of people from all backgrounds, nationalities and cultures - something which they should be proud of. Many companies/organisations could learn from copying their model.

Pros

Interesting work, pleasant people

Cons

fun and relaxed work-place thats also fast placed

My role here was completely student based. They sent out hours which they needed to be worked and we could choose when ands for how long we wanted to work. They understand and are empathetic about how university education needs to come before their jobs. Employees and PhD students are lovely and are relaxed in their ecxpectations, because of this a good atmosphere was formed, but the work is very important and can be incredibly fast-paced. My job was showing round prospective students, in the mornings they were given talks on what to expect in the University's engineering department and we were asked to give our personal experiences as students and advice. There were mixer lunches where the prospective, students and guardians mingled with student ambassadors and university staff. In the afternoon, the students went around 3 different stages, labs, induction talks and tours. I myself, conducted labs for students and talked to them one-to-one about student life and answered any questions they had. After that there was one last mingling session and then we dispersed.

Pros

Free Lunches, above average salary

Cons

Sometimes irregular hours

Good Working Experience

I have generally had a good experience working at Newcastle. My line managers have been very supportive and pro-active. However, colleagues experiences suggest the work culture and experience can be highly variable dependent on your line manager/PI.

Fast Paced

Highly respected institution with a good work environment. Typical working hours expected Monday to Friday, however this varies depending on the time of the year i.e largely increased work hours near September intake.

Engineering Student

Great university, lots of fantastic facilities. Great social side and access to university sports teams and facilities. Engineering staff are very knowledgeable and always on hand to help

Very good

It was very good. It was very supportive with a lot of people who were very supportive in all aspects of the course. I found it very useful and helpfful

Interesting

There are some lovely people working with the security team but also some that are less lovely. It is well paid for what it is but the job can be repetitive and dull. It can also be fun though.

A great place to work

Plenty of advancement opportunities. Friendly and helpful managers. Flexible working. Fair pay and job security. Plenty of side benefits. Only left due to health issues of a family member.

Relaxed student job

They offered me a relaxed lab assistant job which I could use to work around my studies. I enjoyed it and the manager was very nice and helpful. Good experience.

adequate employer

working here was fine. they pay on time, they tell you what is expected of you, etc. as with all large employers, some of the management policies and admin systems can be a source of frustration. but all the close colleagues were ok.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newcastle University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement