Newcastle University

Newcastle University Employee Reviews

Interesting place to work

The University is a great place to work and I was sad when my contract came to an end. I had weekly meetings with my manager and I was able to raise any matters of concern. She was always supportive and helpful. My job role was very diverse and no two days were the same. The work culture is respectful and inclusive of people from all backgrounds, nationalities and cultures - something which they should be proud of. Many companies/organisations could learn from copying their model.

Pros

Interesting work, pleasant people

Unprofessional, blame culture, disorganised

Some managers think the university is their territory and they have the rights to behave and speak in a way they like! They behave you like a vehicle rather than a human and they proudly say it to your face. They make you unsafe and sick.Some managers are not accountable and committed at all and they expect you to do their jobs and if you resist they disrespect, shout and degrade you. An obvious example of having lack of knowledge and having a non-scientific mindset and approach. This probably is because that they are not well trained.

Pros

Cons

Nothing is organised

Unprofessional - blame culture

Unprofessional managers - if they make errors they will attempt to just blame other members of the team. Shout and swear in meetings. Cause unnecessary stress and pressure making a typical work day far less productive. Complete lack of communication. Worst job I have ever had.

Pros

There are non

Cons

management and HR

fun and relaxed work-place thats also fast placed

My role here was completely student based. They sent out hours which they needed to be worked and we could choose when ands for how long we wanted to work. They understand and are empathetic about how university education needs to come before their jobs. Employees and PhD students are lovely and are relaxed in their ecxpectations, because of this a good atmosphere was formed, but the work is very important and can be incredibly fast-paced. My job was showing round prospective students, in the mornings they were given talks on what to expect in the University's engineering department and we were asked to give our personal experiences as students and advice. There were mixer lunches where the prospective, students and guardians mingled with student ambassadors and university staff. In the afternoon, the students went around 3 different stages, labs, induction talks and tours. I myself, conducted labs for students and talked to them one-to-one about student life and answered any questions they had. After that there was one last mingling session and then we dispersed.

Pros

Free Lunches, above average salary

Cons

Sometimes irregular hours

Good Working Experience

I have generally had a good experience working at Newcastle. My line managers have been very supportive and pro-active. However, colleagues experiences suggest the work culture and experience can be highly variable dependent on your line manager/PI.

Fast Paced

Highly respected institution with a good work environment. Typical working hours expected Monday to Friday, however this varies depending on the time of the year i.e largely increased work hours near September intake.

Engineering Student

Great university, lots of fantastic facilities. Great social side and access to university sports teams and facilities. Engineering staff are very knowledgeable and always on hand to help

Very good

It was very good. It was very supportive with a lot of people who were very supportive in all aspects of the course. I found it very useful and helpfful

Interesting

There are some lovely people working with the security team but also some that are less lovely. It is well paid for what it is but the job can be repetitive and dull. It can also be fun though.

A great place to work

Plenty of advancement opportunities. Friendly and helpful managers. Flexible working. Fair pay and job security. Plenty of side benefits. Only left due to health issues of a family member.

Jobs at Newcastle University

See more jobs

Relaxed student job

They offered me a relaxed lab assistant job which I could use to work around my studies. I enjoyed it and the manager was very nice and helpful. Good experience.

adequate employer

working here was fine. they pay on time, they tell you what is expected of you, etc. as with all large employers, some of the management policies and admin systems can be a source of frustration. but all the close colleagues were ok.

Programme Administrator

Stressful, but slow at times. A lot of people working there generally didn't know what to do or what was going on. A lot of guess work it seemed! It was difficult to get trained in the area I worked as people didn't even know what to do either.

Work life balance is great, lots of benefits, good salaries, great colleagues, management is good, good reputable company, highly recommend. There is also plenty opportunities for training and applying for jobs and secondment in other departments.

Poor responsiveness post interview; No pay for 3 months+; No contract amendment; Poor communication;

I am currently a Visiting Lecturer since Aug. 2019 at Newcastle University London, teaching modules: • Financial Control • Understanding Company Accounts • Management Accounting

Absolutely awful, hopelessly organised constantly chasing pay, AVOID

Nothing, absolutely nothing is well organised in Newcastle University, I've been bounced about as casual staff with no idea what I'm meant to be doing on the day and virtually no training. HR have little to no respect for people working casually there and the system to get paid correctly is woeful.

n/a

All the staff are very friendly. There is a great support system and good opportunities for progression. There are opportunities to travel to Newcastle University campuses in Malaysia and Singapore.

Nice staff

Worked with lovely peoplle and learned a lot about the environment and the fast paced nature of the job. Met people from all over campus and made new friends.

Fun place to work

Part-time and internship opportunities available for students, fairly paid. The supervisors are great and very helpful, gives a good experience to students who want to work.

Flexible workplace

Professional services felt a little unsteady, a lot of movement of people and a lot of staff on fixed term contracts. Management is ok, but it often feels like every decision has to go through several loops. On the plus side, the holiday entitlement is good and they are very accommodating and flexible.

Fun Workplace

As part of my job I had to take part to open days organized by the university for potential students. My job was to give them a tour around the campus and some of the university accomodations. Also I had to answer every question that they might had

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newcastle University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2