Newcastle upon Tyne Council logo
Newcastle upon Tyne Council

Newcastle upon Tyne Council Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Good

Start at half 7 in the morning go to the yard everyone would have a didferent job they had to do so there for everyone would have fill up there vans with tools and gear they needed to do that job then we would arrive at the job get the tools out the van and start the day off

They need to look at the staff turnover in social care

Staff turnover is a huge problem here as it is anywhere. Good staff are being lost due to the way they are treated at times. Some managers are poor with some coming up the ranks with little experience and not enough knowledge whilst some of the senior managers are better now. Nephitism is a still a huge problem here.

Pros

Cons

dreadful working hours unpaid weekend work is a necessity

Productive and nice workplace.

Great team. My acquaintance with these experiences has made me a confident, enthusiastic and hard working person with experience in the legal area. Volunteering to better the lives of the elderly and gather invaluable data about young persons voting trends. This is combined with my interest in law, politics and current affairs. My drive and passion has led me to search for more life-experience which I can happily find and offer to you.

They do not value staff

They promise a work life balance but do not be fooled. If you become ill they do not want to know you even after years of loyal service without a day off taking on additional tasks . Nephitism is rife.They do not value experience. If you want a job where you will be treated like a number this one is for you. Large turnover of staff in social care as they do not care about staff welfare but they are excellent at pretending to be. Managers do not care a jot about children they are only interested in targets and saving money

Pros

Cons

Staff treated like dirt.Hypocritial managers

Groundworker

General labour/groundwork duties all over Newcastle city centre day to day jobs fixing pathways from garden paths to street paths and, roads, kerbing, flagging, tarmac , pot holes.

Good employer

Good employer, work/life balance can be good especially if you have been there a long time - allows home-working dependent on the job role. Salary good.

Great stable company to work for

Great company only thing I'd say is don't do the school cleaning if got young children as you are required to work during school hols which is not gd.

Pros

Good management support great for kitchen jobs

Cons

School cleaning not good for people with young children due to required to work during school hold

A typical day at work would be busy and sometimes draining, however I enjoy the pace I have learned so many new skills and interacted with all walks of life Management in this job is fine to a certain level then I feel they become less interested at the higher levels Workplace culture is fine, everyone seems to get along and are helpful to each other The hardest part of the job is trying to get through all of the work with limited resource which limits the service you give to the people you need to support I love the fast pace, the people I work with and the fact that I feel I make a difference for not only my teams but service users

Pros

Flexi time

Cons

don't feel appreciated whatever you do

Steady but unreliable

I found working for Newcastle city council very calm and steady at first. Though as the years went on, there was a lot of pressure on your job because of all the redundancies and job cuts to cost cut for the council.

productive and good place to work

I work Monday to Friday.Typical working day starts with the preparation of food and equipment to help teaching staff deliver there lessons. Supporting students and with some demonstrations to also help with the delivery of lessons. The clearing of equipment at end of each lesson and end of the day. Ordering of food and new equipment. Maintenance of all equipment. General hygiene. I have learned to work on my own and as a team. I get on very well with my co-workers and enjoy the environment in which I work.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Newcastle upon Tyne Council?

Kingston Park Primary School.

Monday to Friday I go in to work and start by cleaning the classrooms, then I clean the library, then on to the toilets. I have learned how to keep the public safe from any chemicals that may be hazardous to health. I get on well with my manager. I have a good working relationship with all of my co-workers. I don't consider any part of my job hard. The most enjoyable part of my job is having the satisfaction to know that I have created a safe and suitable environment for the public to work in.

Pros

I enjoy working there

Cons

It is only a part time job.
  • Newcastle upon Tyne Council