NEWHAM COLLEGE
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

NEWHAM COLLEGE Employee Reviews

United Kingdom76 reviews

studentexperienceworkingworktimeenjoyteampeople

I did my work experience here

I did my work experience hereWas a business admin, did mostly admin tasks like organising, filing and printing documents.Had to talk to students sometimes.

1 star for management was me being generous

Left earlier this year, couldn't wait to leave, treatment of staff is a disgrace. Was from the SEND department. Looked after majority of the curriculum and was never appreciated for the good work I had done considering the management were as clued up about curriculum as Boris Johnson is about politics. Heard they have also used my signature for claims forms which I have never filled out and are blaming me for errors within that form. Which really sums up the operations of this poorly managed college. They fail to realise that if it wasn't for my iv work and good relationship with tutors they wouldn't be in the position to have direct claims for btec and gateway. I internally moderated 90% of this departments quals and the disrespect they have shown honestly shocking. Was diagnosed with depression may time, due to taking a loan out to pay to get to work because I wasn't being paid enough and was made to buy my own resources. They didn't believe I had depression was just having a hissy fit about missing out on a job role and wanted to discipline me. To summarise, they are no leaders at this college just a bunch of bosses flexing there power, don't let the salary offer fool you, they cost you more then what they are paying you.

Insights into NEWHAM COLLEGE

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

Good team. Poor management & communication

Have restructures every year. Poor leadership andpoor communication. Salary doesn’t cover the cost of living. Good dedicated team, probably the best.

Poor management impacted in students and staff

Management was very poor. There was a blame culture initiated by management. A lot a back stabbing and bullying.The College main concern was money not the students.Nepotism within the area I worked in impacted on students learning

Pros

Students

Cons

Long hours, low wages, awful management

Very fast-paced environment

There is poor work-life balance, the salary is not sufficient for the amount of work involved. Saying that, the team of people working there is brilliant and this is the main stimulus for working for Newham college.

Pros

Excellent colleagues

Cons

Stressful fast-paced environment

Amazing colleagues, but poor management

You will never find anywhere more amazing people to work with than Newham College colleagues! Worked there for a good few years and can only say, my colleagues were like my work family and my mentors - amazing, amazing people! Students were full of life and appreciative - made my job enjoyable and rewarding. Shame management was very much out of touch, and applied a bossing culture towards lecturers, which made the job unpleasant. There was no life-work balance. Loaded with unnecessary tasks to satisfy my unpleasant manager. Always had to stay till late. Salary was a pittance. Managers though, got and still get paid a lot more for doing little or nothing, starting with the Principal who is paid more than the Prime Minister?!! Most of HR are useless. Would have never left if it was not for the bossing unappreciative culture from management. Will always be grateful to my colleagues for the unique warmth and support they provided! Would return to teach at Newham College in a heart beat if Heads of Schools were replaced with hard working and appreciative people!

Pros

Amazing colleagues! Full of character students!

Cons

No work - life balance, loaded with extra unpaid work. Unappreciative manager.

avoid

micromanagement is thriving... workload is not feasible.. clients are really challenging, salary is too low, no appreciation of professional development

it was fun

it was fun but hard and i am hard working teaching kids from 16 music they love me and told me im there favorite teacher, i was teaching them about in dept music from components to struction of notes and songs, history etc.

Not a lot of support

A lot expected with little support from fellow teachers or supervision. A lot of paper work which is on par with similar roles. Guidance was of poor quality for me but probably ok for others.

Pros

The oay is fair or good

Cons

Lack of support

Fast-paced work place

I joined Newham College 12 years ago and I have been working there since then.Good place to work and study Every day is well organised there are all essential trainings. Good place to gain experience, high variety of daily tasks.I'm happy to work at Newham college and I'm looking for just weekend's job.

Pros

Free lunch

Good

Was a wonderful experience, I've learnt a lot during my time there, I work with very professional friendly people who helped me as long as I needed help.

Experience in newham as teaching assistant

I have spent few months in Newham college but that was a great experience working with teachers. They all are very kind, cooperative and friendly. I have learnt alot within a short period of time.

Fun Workplace

Fantastic Teammates and positive atmosphere but stressful workload; learners are mostly on wrong courses, disruptive and likely to truant or drop out.

terrible employer

Newham College is the worst employer I've ever worked for. The salary is the lowest in the sector and the work-life balance is non-existent. Teachers are overloaded with work and not appreciated. Do not go there! This place will ruin your life, like it did mine!

Productive workplace

Challenging but highly rewarding environment. Teacher training leading to placement as lecturer. Support for CPD throughout the college. Opportunities for advancement

Pros

Cpd

Cons

Workload

work experience

Good experience with great teachers.I have learnt new things from the experience of work that I have had last year. It was great at the library and I made many new Friends.

Avoid horrible place to work

Abusive, racist, homophobic and very harmful experience left for my mental health and left teaching all together Management are clueless and will discard any concerns to protect senior management

Horrible place

I wouldnt recomment Newham College to anyone! No work life balance, heavy workload, no time for lesson planning and preparation, low salary, quality team isnt on your side at all and every member of that team wants to see different things in an observation, contradictory guidelines regarding paperwork and observation

Always watch your back, ensuring that you have backups at all times. Working with some lovable and fun people who have like-minded passion for the learners you work with.

Pros

Meeting some like-mind people

Face fits

If your face fits; you're laughing! Incompetent lazy people are the ones who progress. Of course that is not true of everyone! However, it was my experience.

productive, educative and fun place to work

It is a great place to work with alot to learn and be inspired. The values are self explanatory in the achievements and great team that is hardworking and striving for the best for the learners.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NEWHAM COLLEGE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement