Newport City Homes

Newport City Homes Employee Reviews

Bland place to work

Bland place to work.Not much real engagement with the organisations aims . Not a bad place to work-money paid promptly. Offices are ok. Excellent IT provision with up to date laptops. You can do your time at this place and be ok- not exciting tho’.

Amazing progression opportunities

I have been working here for a couple of years now in a few different roles. It is a very easy place to progress with very supportive management to help you do so. The work is fast paced, but it really is a great place to work with an amazing environment.

Pros

Casual Friday's, supportive colleagues

Great development opportunities available for those who work hard!

I have been working at NCH nearly 1 year and I'm really enjoying my time. I have been able to shape my own role and I feel my ideas are really listened to. Day to day there is a great variety of tasking available and you often get the opportunity to work with different people across the business. There seems to have been a lot of change in the last 2 years and some people are still adjusting to that but I think they're on a cultural, change journey and will really benefit from it in the long run!

Pros

Pension! Flexible and agile working, Great annual leave entitlement, Free tea & coffee, Modern offices, Loads of training opportunities

Cons

Change hasn't quite settled yet but we're getting there!

Awful

Subjected to bullying and I wasn't alone, the same person had bullied other members of staff and nothing got done. Spent months rebuilding my confidence and getting back on track after I left the organisation

Good company to work for

I enjoyed my time at Newport City Homes and the culture there. I did like the collaborative atmosphere and how everyone helped each other with tasks. I would definitely recommend working here!

Enjoyable position

Good management. Career advancement possible. I was subcontracting through a private company. Very team orientated. Seasonal work through company I was employed with

Know They Can Do Better

It is a place that is improving but quite frankly it has to. I think the desire to improve is there, but the people leading change are struggling to work out how best to do this. It's a good place to work if you are in a focused role, but progress is slow and challenging. I think senior management know what the challenges are. A lot of new staff so perhaps this will change the working culture.

Fun workplace

It was really good the staff were ok and I liked the job .but there was no places for me when I finished my appreanticeship so I had to leave the company

Pros

Free lunches

lack of senior support

lack of senior supporteven though problems are highlighted to management nothing has been done to help or elevate any issues.The company is a good company but has issues

Pros

lack of senior support

A good starting point

Although this is where i gained a good amount of experience to kick start my IT career, it is not somewhere i would've liked to settle. Not a comfortable work environment

Jobs at Newport City Homes

See more jobs

Worst place ever!

Incredibly poor execs which filters down through the ranks. Zero morale. Filled with wrong people in wrong roles. Keep 'restructuring' the company, making people apply for their own jobs resulting in zero interest from the staff and reflecting in the poor service the tenants receive. Avoid this place like the plague!

Pros

ummmm.......

Cons

just awful...everything is awful about this place

Valued Experience

I have been with Newport City Homes for just over two years and have gained valuable knowledge of housing in all aspects, from reactive repairs, rents, surveying and also from a trade view. On a typical day my main role is to call handle all the resident repairs and dealing with all queries, this could be from a simple logging of a repair or on going matter that requires chasing of jobs with surveyors. As part of my role I also take responsibility of environmental heath, this mainly consists of damp issues within a property, which includes keeping all records of appointments, liaising with the surveyor regarding the work needed and also visiting the property for QC checks. From this I have gain a very vast knowledge about housing, the laws around housing and about the proceedures that we follow, there is a great team that I work with that is always willing to help if I am unsure of anything. The management team have been great also as they always trust our judgment. I wouldn't say there is a hard part about the job, it does get very challenging sometimes. The most I enjoy is the team I work with , they are very easy to work with and always willing to help in any way that they can.

Pros

Great team, job enjoyment

Toxic

Cant belive how bad this place became to work, was great when council but stock transferred and kept making changes somehow making things worse than last time every time they did, it will get better they said, that was 6 years or so ago and worse now than ever, so many people have left it is unbelievable, people crying in office and that's just the ones who arnt off with stress, senior management are clueless and not very nice people and don't tell truth and lots of complaints from residents

Pros

Only pros were when council before stock transfer none as Newport city homes

Cons

Not enough space or time

Terrible and deluded employer

Worked here for years, very unhappy, horrible place to work. Management awful, directors worse, a few good people but most are 2 faced and can't do their job very well. If you good at your job look out as they will expect you to do the work of all the rubbish ones plus your own! Had a restructure around September 2014, half the floor left approx. 20 out of 40, all but 1 I think left voluntarily. Staff turnover ran at above 30% for 2014/ 15 and not finished yet. Rubbish service to residents and the place will make you ill, there is virtually a revolving door at Occupational Health with lots on long term sick. Could the last person out of NCH turn the lights off behind them please?

Pros

Redundancy payment for years of suffering

Cons

too much work not enough people, rubbish recruitment, poor staff even worse management and directors, ill health

excellent employer

learned how to assist colleagues at peoples homes with fixing problems, picking up different building materials from different building merchandisers, dealing with different types of tools, making sure the workplace was kept clean and tidy, making sure that all health and safety procedures at all times.

Pros

gain work experience and different skills

Institutionally Insidious, Unfair & Incompetent

Incompetent management at all levels with very few exceptions, especially Director level, preferential treatment for selected individuals, horrendous structures & procedures, staggering incompetence, horrendous & insidious working environment. Only good point is benefits, the best of which (LGPS) are no longer available to new employees. Look elsewhere, would rather sweep the streets than go back there after 6 years!

Pros

Watered down benefits, LGPS no longer available to new employees

Cons

Too many to list. Horrendous working environment, enormous levels of stress, high staff turnover, high absence rates, general incompetence, preferential treatment for individuals.

– 9 March 2015
Job Work/ life balance should be 1 star, only because it has to be that high, salary & benefits 4 star.

Lucky Break for Work Experience!

It was a fun place to work, even if it was only for a month! Everyone was really friendly and welcoming and it was just a great place to be. (I'm rather thankful because some of my friends got jobs in supermarkets or fast food places and didn't have a good time!)

no tha good

the boiz are good to work with but the management aint all that

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Newport City Homes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6Job security/advancement