NFU Mutual

NFU Mutual Employee Reviews

I have enjoyed working for NFU Mutual and during my time at the company, I have developed excellant communication skills via telephone and email and also been part of a great team.
I applied and was successful, Its a great place to work, great people, great culture that is driven by the senior management team. A significant amount of change in the business, lots of opportunity for personal development if you want it.
Pros
Great culture, people, lots of development opportunities, stability
Awful organisation, which is a shame as their products and history are strong. Culture all wrong, dictatorial management from the dark ages, generally very hostile to outsiders, not at all supportive.
Pros
Cons
As detailed
Working colleagues (excluding management) are lovely but despite what anyone tells you it really is NOT a great place to work. Constant micromanagement, endless meetings as no can make a decision and truly awful appraisal process which mangers use to reward their favourites and use to beat with if you they don’t like you. A real prevalence of a bullying culture which people tell you about once they gain your trust. It was like being on the Trueman Show. You know something is wrong but can’t quite put your finger on it.The worst thing of all is management just don’t trust their staff. So this results in getting external companies to pretty much everything, even though their staff could do a better job at a fraction of the cost. Utter madness.When you get there people are running around like headless chickens trying to achieve meaningless tasks set by management. People are genuinely knackered.It’s a shame, few years ago it truly was a great place to work, but no longer... the lovely swimming pool...gone...the amazing canteen... gone and the genuinely nice management... gone I write this not to put you off, but just to aware what you might be getting into... and the above reflections isn’t something I just felt, but a large majority... most rightly waiting for their pension so can take early retirement and escape before it’s too late.If you still decide you want to work their, then keep your head down, and whatever you do say nothing!
Pros
Pension
Cons
Micromanagement, awful appraisal process
I worked at the Chester office for 10 years before the decision to close rendered me redundant. I stayed for as long as I did due to the people that I was working with and the fact that it appeared to be safe compared to other employers locally based. Overall it was a tough and at times mad environment to work in. Workloads were high and the department was under-resourced in part due to management's unrealistic expectations for new recruits (wanted everyone to have x years of insurance experience in an area where there were no other insurance companies to poach from) coupled with poor paying salaries which served to hinder recruitment. People were treated differently for example of one person getting away with doing something or not doing something and another person committing the same act(s) would be pulled to one side for a meeting about it. Single people were leant on to work overtime and those with families were left alone. It was hard to progress in the department with development opportunities limited. The only way to progress was to get a job in Head Office which was no easy feat and Head Office was based in an expensive part of the country which made a move financially prohibitive for many (especially as relocation assistance was poor). I found a lot of people within the office overall to be old fashioned and living in the past and in some sections this led to more recent recruits moving on.There were too many part timers working there which only put more onto the full time staff. Communications could be poor with certain things kept quiet so you would never know what - more...
Pros
Flexitime, pension, annual bonus
Cons
Long hours, high workloads, unrealistic expectations
Lots of pressure, expected to do tasks without proper training then slated for not doing it right. Team leaders under constant pressure. More like a call centre under big brother
Worked for an Agency in Lincolnshire. The so called Agents who ‘run’ the place were constantly fearful of having their licence revoked by the NFU Mutual. They are puppets of the Mutual with very little power and highly over-inflated egos. Do not work for these muppets, as they are self interested, untrustworthy back-stabbers.
Worked for the Mutual for most of my adult life. 'Great place to work' is one of the companies long term objectives and must say that most of the time I get to do what I enjoy day in day out. Also a great bonus scheme.Had some great, awful and 'playing the game' managers over the years but thats to be expected.My experience of company culture (HO central function) is that you do matter and we do care. I've had a few occurrences of depression that resulted in time off work and they have always been supportive, my GP even remarked on the difference to most employers.
Pros
Great People, Great development opportunities, Good bonus scheme, Flexitime, Not too corporate, Over 100 years old but moving with the times
Cons
Still quite traditional in places
Cannot rate this company high enough. They lead the way in the insurance industry, and their ethos is about high standards. They treat their staff very well, and do very well in the customer market.
Pros
Great environment, high quality offices, beautiful countryside setting, flexible working, Costa on site with cafe/lunch facilities, free fruit one day per week, staff social activities, staff recognition, great appraisal system, just very professional!
Cons
Unfortunately, too much desk-based work.
The pay your receive for the role is shocking. Compliance is be all and end all, so if you make mistakes, you likely to be sacked. The stress just isn’t worth it. Managment care more about the money coming in than progressing you and looking after you
Pros
9-5 job
Cons
Too much stress
If your face didnt fit or you did not match their strange personalities or was not into gossip you would go nowhere. One of the worst places I have worked as far as management were but the team members in the majority were great
Pros
Break rooms, overtime, training
Cons
It is without doubt one of the most supportive and collaborative environments that I have ever worked in. All of my colleagues across the business have been welcoming and always have time to give their advice or expertise. If you are the kind of person that enjoys professional development, then there is the opportunity to volunteer for projects and to get involved in things that help you to develop. Looking across the business I see multiple examples of colleagues who have progressed their careers into other areas of the business from that which they originally started. The training and development is exemplary. There are online platforms that have support on virtually any topic you can think of, supported by a large learning and development function for face to face courses. Communication has been strong. I never feel like I don't know what is happening in the business and there are good internal comms at both a function and corporate level. The Head Office in Stratford is an amazing space, with lots of room to walk amongst the grounds at lunchtime and get away from your desk. Not to mentione a subsidised canteen with Costa Coffee. You are well looked after here with strong benefits and a pension of upto 20%. Well Done NFU Mutual, you make us feel valued and the work we do important.
Pros
Great benefits, room to progress, subsidised canteen, excellent communication.
Cons
As you can imagine, in a business of this size and scale, it can be difficult to make changes happen straight away.
Pros
Great benefits, room to progress, subsidised canteen, excellent communication.
Cons
Really lovely group of people to work with, very busy position with lots of juggling but always helpful. Lots of training both online and face to face.
Can sometimes be challenging working to deadlines but with good organisation can be easily sorted. Training is always available if needed.working for this company is mostly enjoyable but can sometimes be stressful as with all companies.
The best call center to work in. Doesn't feel like a call center, great managers, people would do anything for each other. great customers. overall a good place to work. competitive salary etc.
Made decision to take job once i saw the swimming pool in the basement, made decision to leave job when they announced it was to be demolished for a business meeting room, very good audit and record keeping, good interdepartmental comms and relations, accuracy more important than speed, only negative was the costa coffee shop in the building (more expensive than the high street costa!) Perfect job arrive at 7am, swim for an hour then start work at 8am, go home at 4pm, had all the tools and resources needed to complete my tasks, which is rare in a finance dept.
Pros
Did i mention the swimming pool?
Cons
Agency paid me late on nine seperate occasions, took 6 weeks to get my holiday pay from them.
Busy. Intense. Rewarding. Hardest part is getting everything done in a timely manner. Varied day always differences in each case. You speak to a variety of clients.
Not always understanding when it comes to health issues but still a good company to work for. Always happy for you to explore other areas of the business for personal development but some customers can be difficult.
great company, and are very supportive when going through a hard time. positive and enthusiastic also driven to succeed and improve the current ratings and widen the customer base.
Good place to work. Friendly people, friendly managers. Hard to move up, but opportunities for sideways movement. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Lovely staff. Thumbs up from me.
  1. Employee reviews