NFU Mutual logo
NFU Mutual

NFU Mutual Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Bang average

Lots to remember as you deal with many different types of insurance. Expected to push for future sale leads, rather than just focus on what you are helping the customer with. Customers are mostly elderly or very pushy. You are expected to work most bank holidays and not a good work/life balance. Currently work two Saturdays on then one off. The management pretend to care but when you want something that falls out of the NFU norm, you are shot down.

Cons

Long hours. Lots of weekends.

Unrealistic

when starting at NFU I was told that it’s not “typical call centre” and they value their staff as time went on and new management how difficult and pressured it became. Throughout training your given the basics of the job but when out on the call floor the targets expected of you are so unrealistic and also the scripting and what’s expected on every call is ridiculous! As a company the tell you the passion for customer journey is the most important but it’s all down to targets and team leader bonus. How your treated is dependent on what team team leader your under and “if your face fits” I don’t recommend this company at all.

Pros

Out of city centre

Cons

Unrealistic Targets, not treated fairly, no union

Brilliant place to work

Brilliant people, good salary, great perks and super work surroundings.Management are quick to tell you if you've done something well and listen if you have ideas to make things better.Just a good place to work

Pros

Advancement, salary

Great Place to work

I applied and was successful, Its a great place to work, great people, great culture that is driven by the senior management team. A significant amount of change in the business, lots of opportunity for personal development if you want it.

Pros

Great culture, people, lots of development opportunities, stability

Probably the worst 18 months of my life

Awful organisation, which is a shame as their products and history are strong. Culture all wrong, dictatorial management from the dark ages, generally very hostile to outsiders, not at all supportive.

Pros

Cons

As detailed

Not a great a place to work!

Working colleagues (excluding management) are lovely but despite what anyone tells you it really is NOT a great place to work. Constant micromanagement, endless meetings as no can make a decision and truly awful appraisal process which mangers use to reward their favourites and use to beat with if you they don’t like you. A real prevalence of a bullying culture which people tell you about once they gain your trust. It was like being on the Trueman Show. You know something is wrong but can’t quite put your finger on it.The worst thing of all is management just don’t trust their staff. So this results in getting external companies to pretty much everything, even though their staff could do a better job at a fraction of the cost. Utter madness.When you get there people are running around like headless chickens trying to achieve meaningless tasks set by management. People are genuinely knackered.It’s a shame, few years ago it truly was a great place to work, but no longer... the lovely swimming pool...gone...the amazing canteen... gone and the genuinely nice management... gone I write this not to put you off, but just to aware what you might be getting into... and the above reflections isn’t something I just felt, but a large majority... most rightly waiting for their pension so can take early retirement and escape before it’s too late.If you still decide you want to work their, then keep your head down, and whatever you do say nothing!

Pros

Pension

Cons

Micromanagement, awful appraisal process

I should have left years before I did in all honesty

I worked at the Chester office for 10 years before the decision to close rendered me redundant. I stayed for as long as I did due to the people that I was working with and the fact that it appeared to be safe compared to other employers locally based. Overall it was a tough and at times mad environment to work in. Workloads were high and the department was under-resourced in part due to management's unrealistic expectations for new recruits (wanted everyone to have x years of insurance experience in an area where there were no other insurance companies to poach from) coupled with poor paying salaries which served to hinder recruitment. People were treated differently for example of one person getting away with doing something or not doing something and another person committing the same act(s) would be pulled to one side for a meeting about it. Single people were leant on to work overtime and those with families were left alone. It was hard to progress in the department with development opportunities limited. The only way to progress was to get a job in Head Office which was no easy feat and Head Office was based in an expensive part of the country which made a move financially prohibitive for many (especially as relocation assistance was poor). I found a lot of people within the office overall to be old fashioned and living in the past and in some sections this led to more recent recruits moving on.There were too many part timers working there which only put more onto the full time staff. Communications could be poor with certain things kept quiet so you would never know what -

Pros

Flexitime, pension, annual bonus

Cons

Long hours, high workloads, unrealistic expectations

Stressful enviroment with bad training

Lots of pressure, expected to do tasks without proper training then slated for not doing it right. Team leaders under constant pressure. More like a call centre under big brother

Untrustworthy and self interested

Worked for an Agency in Lincolnshire. The so called Agents who ‘run’ the place were constantly fearful of having their licence revoked by the NFU Mutual. They are puppets of the Mutual with very little power and highly over-inflated egos. Do not work for these muppets, as they are self interested, untrustworthy back-stabbers.

30 years and counting

Worked for the Mutual for most of my adult life. 'Great place to work' is one of the companies long term objectives and must say that most of the time I get to do what I enjoy day in day out. Also a great bonus scheme.Had some great, awful and 'playing the game' managers over the years but thats to be expected.My experience of company culture (HO central function) is that you do matter and we do care. I've had a few occurrences of depression that resulted in time off work and they have always been supportive, my GP even remarked on the difference to most employers.

Pros

Great People, Great development opportunities, Good bonus scheme, Flexitime, Not too corporate, Over 100 years old but moving with the times

Cons

Still quite traditional in places

Jobs at NFU Mutual

See more jobs

Happy and positive place to work.

Cannot rate this company high enough. They lead the way in the insurance industry, and their ethos is about high standards. They treat their staff very well, and do very well in the customer market.

Pros

Great environment, high quality offices, beautiful countryside setting, flexible working, Costa on site with cafe/lunch facilities, free fruit one day per week, staff social activities, staff recognition, great appraisal system, just very professional!

Cons

Unfortunately, too much desk-based work.

NFU Mutual

I have enjoyed working for NFU Mutual and during my time at the company, I have developed excellant communication skills via telephone and email and also been part of a great team.

Stress and horrible management

The pay your receive for the role is shocking. Compliance is be all and end all, so if you make mistakes, you likely to be sacked. The stress just isn’t worth it. Managment care more about the money coming in than progressing you and looking after you

Pros

9-5 job

Cons

Too much stress

Clicky management defensive management

If your face didnt fit or you did not match their strange personalities or was not into gossip you would go nowhere. One of the worst places I have worked as far as management were but the team members in the majority were great

Pros

Break rooms, overtime, training

Cons

A Brilliant Place to grow your career.

It is without doubt one of the most supportive and collaborative environments that I have ever worked in. All of my colleagues across the business have been welcoming and always have time to give their advice or expertise. If you are the kind of person that enjoys professional development, then there is the opportunity to volunteer for projects and to get involved in things that help you to develop. Looking across the business I see multiple examples of colleagues who have progressed their careers into other areas of the business from that which they originally started. The training and development is exemplary. There are online platforms that have support on virtually any topic you can think of, supported by a large learning and development function for face to face courses. Communication has been strong. I never feel like I don't know what is happening in the business and there are good internal comms at both a function and corporate level. The Head Office in Stratford is an amazing space, with lots of room to walk amongst the grounds at lunchtime and get away from your desk. Not to mentione a subsidised canteen with Costa Coffee. You are well looked after here with strong benefits and a pension of upto 20%. Well Done NFU Mutual, you make us feel valued and the work we do important.

Pros

Great benefits, room to progress, subsidised canteen, excellent communication.

Cons

As you can imagine, in a business of this size and scale, it can be difficult to make changes happen straight away.

A Brilliant Place to grow your career.

Pros

Great benefits, room to progress, subsidised canteen, excellent communication.

Lovely people

Really lovely group of people to work with, very busy position with lots of juggling but always helpful. Lots of training both online and face to face.

A very good place to work.

Can sometimes be challenging working to deadlines but with good organisation can be easily sorted. Training is always available if needed.working for this company is mostly enjoyable but can sometimes be stressful as with all companies.

Productive and friendly work place environment

The best call center to work in. Doesn't feel like a call center, great managers, people would do anything for each other. great customers. overall a good place to work. competitive salary etc.

Excellent attitude, friendly and professional

Made decision to take job once i saw the swimming pool in the basement, made decision to leave job when they announced it was to be demolished for a business meeting room, very good audit and record keeping, good interdepartmental comms and relations, accuracy more important than speed, only negative was the costa coffee shop in the building (more expensive than the high street costa!) Perfect job arrive at 7am, swim for an hour then start work at 8am, go home at 4pm, had all the tools and resources needed to complete my tasks, which is rare in a finance dept.

Pros

Did i mention the swimming pool?

Cons

Agency paid me late on nine seperate occasions, took 6 weeks to get my holiday pay from them.

Busy. Intense. Rewarding. Hardest part is getting everything done in a timely manner. Varied day always differences in each case. You speak to a variety of clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NFU Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement