NHS

NHS Employee Reviews

United Kingdom7,590 reviews

Found 7,590 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,154 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

Good benefits but bad culture

Culture needs work but you are paid sick pay and given bank holidays etc. there is a lot of concern over the banding people have and comparisons. Can be great if you have a good team.

Cons

Bad management

Stressful with little management support

The actual work itself is very rewarding but the support from management is severely lacking. Poor communication, managers giving conflicting advice about processes and not enough regard given to staff wellbeing.

Pros

Good work/life balance working from home

Cons

Poor communication and leadership

Insights into NHS

Based on 2,169 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job

Safety is important

Work ethics in comparison to other companies is exceptional. Health and safety of drivers is paramount. Drivers treated very well.Only left because of moving to another location

Pros

Load not too taxing

Overworked Underpaid

Worst place to work no respect very hierarchical same things happening year after year.Minimal support if you become unwell and unable to constantly progress, thrown on hhe scrap heap

Pros

Non

Cons

Long hours high expectations

Fast paced, heavy workload

Heavy workload , tedious but worked with a great bunch of colleagues who made the day a lot more manageable. Management was ...interesting. Plenty of office gossip/politics

Pros

Good team

Cons

Heavy workload

Volunteer

My abilities in communication, flexibility, and leadership in a work environment have all improved as a result of my volunteer work at the Royal Liverpool Hospital.

Friendly work environment.

My experience as a courier driver with the NHS was very positive, i enjoyed the work for the most part, and would recommend them to anyone. The hours suited me perfectly, monday to friday, no weekends. I found the work environment very pleasant indeed, with no real stress or pressure at all. I would absolutely recommend this particular position to anyone who wants to drive for a living.

Pros

Great hour, nice working environment, decent pay.

Cons

None really.

NHS job

Ok environment. Depends on who you are working with, like all jobs. May be moved to different departments whilst on shift. Good sick pay and ok pension.

Pros

Sick pay and pension

Good prospects, low moral

Staff seem to have low moral, and negative attitudes across the trust because of a direct impact of being over worked and under appreciated. Management lack role understanding.Good prospects if changes were made...

the most corrupt workplace

Overall a toxic environment, a culture of hate, permanent positions only for unprofessional and lazy people, and the administration works only for permanent staff, not for locums, who are treated with disrespect and arrogance at all levels.

Pros

No pros

Fast paced, shorted staffed

Fast paced work environment, always short staffed. I person all it didn’t feel valued as a staff member. Pay also isn’t great for the work load you have.

Brilliant management

East London Foundation Trust is one of the best! They have always been outstanding when CQC have been to inspect. The team were amazing and management was very accommodating to their staff’s. I felt very happy working there. My opinions and feelings were always considered. I only left this job because I wanted a change of career.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Difficult to work your way up on career ladder

Poor Management

I might have been unlucky but this was my experience. Some of the Managers are lacking Management and people skills. There are far too busy doing the work that their staff should be doing and not completing their own work. The ratio of management to staff in the department I work in was around 1:3. With the correct level of staff the ratio might be right. But in my opinion they will not attract or retain staff with some of their management teams in place. The skills needed n management's ate lacking with some of the Management team. However, there are a some that are perfectly ok. But the bad ones spoilt the experience for me. The pay is extremely poor in the administration area and doesn't reflect the responsibilities or stress levels. No morning or afternoon breaks outside of the lunch hour on a 7.5 hr shift. Staff Car parking is poor and expensive. 3 Days a week costs 24.00 a month which is the same for a full timer. In my experience no mentors were in place for new starters leaving me to feel isolated from peers on the department. Which doesn't create a team environment. Staff are not provided with performance results so they are not receiving constructive or positive feedback on a regular basis which impacts on motivation.

Pros

Plenty of vacancies

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, some weak management, heavy workloads and low moral in some teams.

Busy and collaborative

Glad I joined and they do not age discriminate like other organisations and companies . Wages are competitive and opportunities for enhanced pay at weekends

Being a paramedic was a wonderful experience

I joined the London Ambulance Service in 1984 and worked there for 8 years. Being on the road as a paramedic was rewarding although the shifts were hard. Great camaraderie and good to know I was doing a worthwhile job. When I moved to become a fire control officer with London Fire Brigade I was able to transfer my pension. Benefits of working in the public service sector.

Pros

Enjoyable and varied work

Cons

Shift work

Stressful

We all know the NHS. Average management and short staffedCould be violent as I worked in mental healthNo progression for a hca unless wanting to go to uni

Pros

Some flex in shifts

Cons

Staffing

Good people working hard, but system is outdated.

Hard workers in the NHS are being let down by overly complicated structures. Difficult for HR to have an impact and make a difference to the culture, as limited by what is already in place.

Fast paced, stressful at times.

Rewarding work but often stressful and busy without proper support from management. The systems often went down and there were IT issues that prevented you from completing the tasks you needed to do. Patients would get very frustrated.

Often left overwhelmed and under supported

Changes to my role are made without discussion or reasoning There is a “give it to the clerk to do “ attitude Often left feeling not listened to, overwhelmed, under appreciated, dismissed or over ruled without discussion by the management

Overall a good place to work.

Overall it was a good place to work given that I had no previous experience. I did notice during my six months there (temporary contract) that there is poor organisation from management which was very frustrating.

Always room for progression

Plenty of learning opportunities and room for progression within pharmacy, as long as you are keen and have proven you’re a worker they will always try and promote in-house (subject to interview process). Fair interviews too and outside bodies always requested if there are internal candidates.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?