NHS
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

NHS Employee Reviews

United Kingdom7,416 reviews

Found 7,416 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,983 reviews

Overworked and under paid...

The pay isn't enough for the amount of stress working here causes - and I don't mean working as a nurse/doctor. - on the administration side. Bear this in mind!

Outdated systems, lack of opportunity for progression, hiring less qualified individuals and paying them more than others

The NHS is extremely outdated and disorganised and everyone that works there is aware of it but nothing is ever done. Most of the management were lovely but a few let themselves down, extremely power hungry and can’t stand if people ‘less superior’ to them have an opinion different to theirs. One of my colleagues was told at their exit interview that they don’t have the skillset required to get the job they want and then ended up getting a job in their desired field that paid 10k more and is now thriving. Also a lot of discrepancy between how they pay their staff. Hiring people with degrees plus experience and paying them considerably less than someone with no degree and a lack of experience. Then saying they can’t progress into that higher band until they’ve worked in the department for 2 years, very bizarre. Wouldn’t except any job offered again.

Cons

Pay discrepancy, power hungry managers, disorganised, lack of opportunity for progression

Good colleagues

Good job security long hours can be stressful under paid no one on your shoulder every days different always busy meet people from all walks of life

ok

ok wasnt too bad. alright pay , was fine to work with NHS although bit rude manager , management was poor , working conditions were good, not a stressful environment

Duty of care always provided

Very good service friendly environment nice place to work always team players and very happy working within the nhs alway happy to help with any problems and the care is at a very high level

Pros

Pensions

Cons

Shifts to suit

Very stressful at the moment

There are many opportunities to grow here and the experience that you will gain will be very desirable. The days are very stressful and I do not feel we are paid for how much we work. Especially during the pandemic we have had very little support and funding to adjust to the increased workload.

Pros

Room to grow, excellent CV credentials

Cons

Stressful job and feeling undervalued

Poor pay and management

Staff need better salaries and managers need better training. I love almost everything else about my job. The NHS as a whole needs a procurement and recruitment overhaul because both aspects are expensive and poor quality.

Relaxed

Thoroughly enjoyed my job. Very interesting. Underpaid however. Bonus is being able to work from home. Team are lovely and very supportive. Hours are good.

Fun workplace

Everyday you may meet interesting people and your work will make difference to them. But understaffed and underpaid which will have massive impact on your life. Thankfully most of the staff will make you feel confident and supportive.

Great working environment

NHS KCHFT Bank administrator covid 19 vaccination programmeGreat work at the beginning, loads of shift but now that most ppl have had their vaccine no shifts since it’s bank anyways.Very repetitive so gets boring.

Stressful, unappreciated, ignored

No training given that Is actually helpful towards the job it’s self. Manager ignores emails and request and general help. Your constantly had a go at by someone from a different department who could be actually spending there time helping instead of just insulting you. But even after that your never offered any help on how to correct your mistakes or times. You can’t care and take time to actually try and help someone as there is a time requirement for each caller and if you go over it you get in trouble for it!. Every move you make is monitored and you are penalised even when you do something right!

The most rewarding but stressful job ever

Lets start on a good note, this job is so rewarding and the gratitude you get from the patients you look after make the time at work a bit better.Management within the ward is awful and never get any recognition or thanks for working your fingers to the bone. What is expected from employees is far too much for the amount of patients you have to look after, the hours you are expected to work and the lack of support from other staff.

Pros

gratitude from patients and their families

Cons

long hours no support from ward staff

I thought I'd be proud to work for the NHS but...

I thought I'd be proud to work for the NHS but the reality is that they're all overworked, underpaid and there's far too much money wasted on senior staff. The shifts are brutal form start to end. The rosta's are harsh and not always given in plenty of time for you to plan your life around.

Hard work and poor work culture

You will genuinely be worked to the bone. If you stop working people think your lazy, so keep moving. There won't ever be enough staff to cover the shift so expect to be stressed. You won't get paid your breaks, so you will be there 12.5 hours. Sitting down is a luxury, so invest in some good trainers. Moral is low at the moment, but the staff try to keep themselves going. There's potential to be a great workplace, but unfortunately, due to short staffing, over running of services, pressures from public and not so perfect pay for quite a large skill set. You might find yourself hitting burn out quickly. Take care of your mental health and keep life balanced and this is a very manageable work place. That's if you can over look the above anyway. If you're quite a passionate person and invest yourself into your workplace. I don't think the NHS is the right place to be at this moment in time.

An overall good place to work

Quite a busy place to work. Always something to do so you are never without work. The management and colleagues are very supportive and want you to progress onto better roles.

Overworked and understaffed. Good holidays and days off

Due to systemic failures within the NHS at top management and government level, staff retainment is poor and the remaining staff are over worked and pay does not daily represent the responsibility.

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Long hours, stressful, toxic culture

Nhs biomedical scientist

Work as Biomedical Scientist for NHS is very good, you have a good work environment and pay, i can definitely recommend it to everyone especially for the family.

better jobs elsewhere for the money

poorly paid (Minimum wage)for what your expected to doNo support from management or team leadershealth and safety is a jokeYou even have to pay for parking which is not explained at interview

Great pay

Great pay as a covid vaccinator; staff are rubbish though and openly bullied younger and new staff. Always offered more shifts if you wanted them, genuinely can’t really fault the job

Relaxing and fast paced as well.

Good experience dealing with clients and solving the problems and was able to maintain a good output and also the coach admin and team members were very helpful.

Secure

A great place to start out however salary progression is very slow. I believe the salary does not reflect all that you are expected to do as the job description that relates to the salary is outdated and since it was written up many more tasks have been added. Therefore I believe a review of the band for accounts payable assistants needs to be revisited as they are expected to do more than just accounts payable.

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?