NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Good culture, secure employment

I worked for the NHS in a clinical setting for around 10 years. I worked in a variety of settings including ED, palliative care, paediatrics and community. Staff on the whole are happy to be at work. Especially in the community. Here, staff are well looked after, and treated fairly. Of course there is job pressure, but it is manageable. Pay is in line with National pay grades throughout the NHS. You are well supported if sick. Generally there is a good culture of teamwork. CPD is very well supported, and appropriate time off given for this. Job security is excellent.

Pros

CPD support

Cons

Long hours, and can be intense

Stressful

Almost every day is exhausting, I felt like I was burnt out all the time. I personally had minimal support and often hated reaching work in the morning.

Worked with a great team

Managed to join a very supportive team. Learned a lot from my time spent there. Work will vary depending on your role and position so I am only speaking from my personal experience.

Enhanced payments the only good thing

No support through management. They preach staff well being but will swap you from day shifts to night shifts weekly with no in between. If you ask for any stability for shifts you get none. You get paid less that a care home wage for a HCA other than for nights and sundays. It’s the most stressful job and not worth the money. They say they will support you through courses however no one will do that.

Good culture

Good colleagues and work environment, good progression opportunities for those who want it as well. Would recommend to anyone. Pay is fair and reasonable.

Nhs

Good employersFew opportunities once you reach the top of your bandingGreat job satisfaction and more often than not supportive and friendly colleagues

Pros

Job satisfaction

Don’t do the apprenticeship

No opportunity to progress. Management don’t care about staff. The apprenticeship is so unorganised and once you have completed it there isn’t much opportunity to progress.

Pros

Helping people

Cons

Lots

Safe secure job

Good secure job, good pay. Good opportunity to advance or change careers in the trust if you wish to. Everyone is mainly friendly and respectful of each other.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Non

Overworked for little money

Secure job, good managementBut overworked, expect the impossibleHorrible working conditions, red hot, no circulating air. Can't even get a drink because your too busy.

flexibility but stressful

stressful and underpaid, some benefits such as flexibility of working pattern. management can sometimes be difficult, colleagues are generally helpful

Love working for NHS

I love my job at the NHS but I would like some degree of flexibility to be given for parents of toddlers who don’t have any childcare or are struggling to get childcare.

It was my first serious job

I worked as a hospital porter and it was a great experience, the work is hard alot of walking and pushing heavy gear but the staff are generally nice and as a porter there is a sense of family within the work place and all that goes along with that type of environment

Fair place to work

It could be worse, the NHS has suffered over the past 2 years with the Covid pandemic. Lots of changes brought in at even faster pace not always enabling staff and teams to keep up

Awful

Poor pay, poor conditions, worked to the bone.More and more responsibility given to staff with no regards for quality of care.Staff are moved around continuously, PIN numbers at risk by working un unfamiliar areas.Patient care is abysmall, you can't do what you need to do as staff ratios have fallen to an unsafe level.

clicky but ok

the pay is ok but the people working there are not nice some are ok. management is very poor and biased. the job is very repetitive and boring.The supervisors do not know what they are doing very underappreciated, no team work very individualistic and a lot of preferred treatments to older staff

Outdated systems, lack of opportunity for progression, hiring less qualified individuals and paying them more than others

The NHS is extremely outdated and disorganised and everyone that works there is aware of it but nothing is ever done. Most of the management were lovely but a few let themselves down, extremely power hungry and can’t stand if people ‘less superior’ to them have an opinion different to theirs. One of my colleagues was told at their exit interview that they don’t have the skillset required to get the job they want and then ended up getting a job in their desired field that paid 10k more and is now thriving. Also a lot of discrepancy between how they pay their staff. Hiring people with degrees plus experience and paying them considerably less than someone with no degree and a lack of experience. Then saying they can’t progress into that higher band until they’ve worked in the department for 2 years, very bizarre. Wouldn’t except any job offered again.

Cons

Pay discrepancy, power hungry managers, disorganised, lack of opportunity for progression

Good colleagues

Good job security long hours can be stressful under paid no one on your shoulder every days different always busy meet people from all walks of life

ok

ok wasnt too bad. alright pay , was fine to work with NHS although bit rude manager , management was poor , working conditions were good, not a stressful environment

Duty of care always provided

Very good service friendly environment nice place to work always team players and very happy working within the nhs alway happy to help with any problems and the care is at a very high level

Pros

Pensions

Cons

Shifts to suit

Covering other duties during Covid as short staffed , too many managers not interested in staff point of view

As a short term contract will be looking for another role elsewhere ,a lot of good staff being used & not appreciated. While nothing done about long term absentees. A lot of pressure on just getting job done .

Pros

Money good on night shift .if full time contract you get a good pension

Cons

No travel time, management structure complicated sometimes not interested in personal needs

Awful

Over worked, unappreciated. Money rubbish for the amount of work expected from you. Worked on staff residence was vile. So dirty, Worked out backsides off to get clean & tidy to a very high standard to be met with same dirt & grime days later. Cut off from hospital staff, They do not care about the staff up there. I enjoyed cleaning but not worth the tiring hard work as it doesn't get recognised.

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?