NHS

United Kingdom7,399 reviews

Found 7,399 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,949 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

Good

This was a very rewarding job but at the same time it’s mentally demanding, if you are lucky to find a good team then it may help you to keep going but if not then you will may end up with a depression.

Hard work but rewarding

Can be extremely busy and at times stressful but this is to be expected given the environment. Lots of opportunities to learn and progress. Overall an extremely rewarding job

Pros

Extremely rewarding

Cons

Very busy

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Collaborative

Looking forward to work here! I'm working as a foundation dentist and there are tons of checking procedures beforehand. The staffs are very responsive and friendly.

Steady and slow progress, if that's your thing

As an clerical there are no KPI's to keep track of, the environment is very relaxed and chilled for the role I was performing. Managers are generally supportive, accommodating, and very inclusive.The pay is not up to par with the recent cost of living in the UK. A band 3 salary of £20300 will not seem enough if you have to worry about a long commute, kids, rent (as opposed to a cheap mortgage) and other expenses other than the usual.This band level should be at around 28k to keep up with inflation.You get pigeon-holed a lot. Meaning that if you start off in one department it will be hard to leave it. You can progress in that same area, just don't expect to jump from Finance to Procurement, or Development, or IT without jumping through hurdles or applying to completely different Trusts.Clerical tends to be quiet and somewhat slow, which can be a good thing if that's your jam. Personally I didn't find it very engaging or motivational whilst working in Research & Development without WFH flexibility. NHS offices are dated and depressing, there's no budget for stationary, or staff activities, it's all very 'public service' and provincial compared to private companies, specially compared to tech/marketing companies.Wellbeing is mentioned, but there's nothing really happening to improve staff mental wellbeing, there's no money for activities, so you have boring webinars explaining how wellbeing is important but it's at your discretion to do and pay for anything surrounding that.Public service is very stable, once you're in, you're in, the caveat being that it pays terrible, -

The NHS values each employee.

It was an amazing experience to work in the NHS. There are a lot of opportunities to grow as a professional. Team work is part of the NHS culture as well as learning opportunities through out all the training courses available.

bad

Not great to be honest, management is soul destroying and couldn’t wait to leave. It feels like you are being micromanaged and not supportive, especially in new role

NHS Greater and Glasgow Primary Care team Partick

Very poor management - only psychologists appear to get development - largest turn over of staff I have ever seen- culture of bullying younger members of staff

Pros

Cons

poor development bullying

Good

Fair and equal interview, job offer came quickly. Lots of training and monthly supervisor meetings. Fair pay with yearly increments. Good team and socials.

No management support at all even when you have four or five answerable too!!

Too many management not managing the place and very low morale among staff, Always get paid on time and most week hours are 37.5 but can be a lot of weekends!!

Cons

weekend work

Stressful due to lack of staff

Stressful due to lack of staff, staffing levels are not and the staff to patient ratios are also unsafe. Constantly feel you are put in unsafe positions and non supportive management.

Awful

Never work for the nhs. It is not worth it for all the stress and disrespect you get. No care for the staff and no appreciation. If your thinking of working for the nhs, just dont

NHS IT Service Desk Analyst

Stressful, not the best job in the world. Good annual leave. Work from home. Get an hour for lunch. Can be difficult to book annual leave as colleagues often want the same weeks off

Pros

Good annual leave

Cons

Stressful

Nice people

I enjoy coming to work but there is no room for growth. Unorganised when it comes to courses and everyday can make the job more stressful than it needs to be.

Excellent

Great place to work. But you need to be aware that NHS is extremely understaffed especially past few years and getting worse. You will have to protect your own sanity by being strict about work like balance

Important service provided but can be difficult and demanding work .

Can be demanding but rewarding work especially if patient facing . Good salary and working conditions backed by law . Chance of career progression is there for those who want it .

Pros

Job security and decent salary, working conditions, pensions

Cons

Demanding

Easygoing office

No complaints at all, excellent work/life balance and management are very flexible with all staff.

Very exhausting at times, not appreciated

I loved working for the NHS when I started portering 3 years ago, but since covid and all the backlog that has built up, we’re (overworked) (under staffed) (underpaid) (unappreciated) basically not a good place to work now, everyone tries their best, but when your understaffed the strain you can feel as soon as you start your shift until you finish it, I’m trying very hard now to get employment elsewhere, I never thought I’d feel like that this in nhs, but it is what it is, and all you hear is off staff is, I’m leaving,They are already thousands short of staff, and the way we are being treated that’s only going to get worse not better, so the ones that are still in there have the burden of covering up the staffing problems by doing extra themselves, which is taking it’s toll, I’m disgusted at the government for they’re failure in allowing this to happen in the first place, it’s pretty simple to be honest, give a pay that reflects the work that we all do, that in turn will help bring back some staff and encourage others to join nhs, and start appreciating what every staff member is going through in these hard time, I’m a very sad man that feels, as do thousands of others, under appreciated, underpaid, overworked, and that basically is it in a nutshell 😞

Great and rewarding just understaffed

Job would be amazing if staffing was amazing which unfortunately it’s not been made to be an attractive job. Staff are supportive in most places you work

Higher Management not supportive

NHS is lacking funding in all areas but you can see where money is being wasted. Long waiting lists. Lots of unnecessary organisational changes. Work / home life balance is excellent and the rate of pay is competitive.

Pros

Good pension scheme

Cons

No investment in training admin

Stressful place to work

Stressful place to work. Management are difficult to work for. However professional health care staff are great to work with.Enjoyed working alongside healthcare staff.

Rewarding

A fast paced most days, time goes fast, patients are lovely. It’s a rewarding job, when you get good feedback. We have a great team of hard working staff who pull together. We always have deadlines to meet lots of patients to take care of, they are always very grateful which gives you happiness knowing we are doing a great job.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?