NHS
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

NHS

NHS Employee Review

Being a paramedic was a wonderful experience

I joined the London Ambulance Service in 1984 and worked there for 8 years. Being on the road as a paramedic was rewarding although the shifts were hard. Great camaraderie and good to know I was doing a worthwhile job. When I moved to become a fire control officer with London Fire Brigade I was able to transfer my pension. Benefits of working in the public service sector.

Pros

Enjoyable and varied work

Cons

Shift work

5.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Tiring and stressful

Working as a HCA was very stressful. There was a lot of support though, people were always eager to help. Not much chance for progression though so wasn’t worth it

Pros

People

Nice

Poor management - far too many middle managers getting involved with in matters that don’t concern them, toxic work culture. Too much pressure. Pay needs to improve.

Pros

Patient contact

Cons

Long hours, low pay, poor management, too many middle managers, micro-management.

Fun

Fast-paced place to work. Great place to work, I wish they would offer bit better pay. Pension was a biggest benefit. Onboarding took a very long time.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Being a paramedic was a wonderful experience