NHS
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

NHS Employee Reviews

Showing all 7,935 reviews

Important service provided but can be difficult and demanding work .

Can be demanding but rewarding work especially if patient facing . Good salary and working conditions backed by law . Chance of career progression is there for those who want it .

Pros

Job security and decent salary, working conditions, pensions

Cons

Demanding

Very exhausting at times, not appreciated

I loved working for the NHS when I started portering 3 years ago, but since covid and all the backlog that has built up, we’re (overworked) (under staffed) (underpaid) (unappreciated) basically not a good place to work now, everyone tries their best, but when your understaffed the strain you can feel as soon as you start your shift until you finish it, I’m trying very hard now to get employment elsewhere, I never thought I’d feel like that this in nhs, but it is what it is, and all you hear is off staff is, I’m leaving,They are already thousands short of staff, and the way we are being treated that’s only going to get worse not better, so the ones that are still in there have the burden of covering up the staffing problems by doing extra themselves, which is taking it’s toll, I’m disgusted at the government for they’re failure in allowing this to happen in the first place, it’s pretty simple to be honest, give a pay that reflects the work that we all do, that in turn will help bring back some staff and encourage others to join nhs, and start appreciating what every staff member is going through in these hard time, I’m a very sad man that feels, as do thousands of others, under appreciated, underpaid, overworked, and that basically is it in a nutshell 😞

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,477 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks

Great and rewarding just understaffed

Job would be amazing if staffing was amazing which unfortunately it’s not been made to be an attractive job. Staff are supportive in most places you work

Higher Management not supportive

NHS is lacking funding in all areas but you can see where money is being wasted. Long waiting lists. Lots of unnecessary organisational changes. Work / home life balance is excellent and the rate of pay is competitive.

Pros

Good pension scheme

Cons

No investment in training admin

Stressful place to work

Stressful place to work. Management are difficult to work for. However professional health care staff are great to work with.Enjoyed working alongside healthcare staff.

Rewarding

A fast paced most days, time goes fast, patients are lovely. It’s a rewarding job, when you get good feedback. We have a great team of hard working staff who pull together. We always have deadlines to meet lots of patients to take care of, they are always very grateful which gives you happiness knowing we are doing a great job.

What you put in is what you get out

You are just a number, everyone is replaceable. Rushed off your feet 100% of the time. Choose weekend days shifts and midweek night shifts for best pay. Sunday and public holiday is double time

Nurse

I love caring for patients however there are never enough staff or time to do what needs to be done to make the best patient experience, this is very frustrating

Pros

Nhs benefits

A good place to be

Overall supportive, generally a good place to work and reasonable pay for the hours worked. Overtime is not available in many salaried positions due to budget.The work is such that you may feel pressured, but then it is healthcare and things need to be done on time and correctly!

Pros

Flexible (usually) to things like childcare

Cons

Can feel quite dormant in your position

Overworked and underpaid

The responsibility that is taken far exceeds the remuneration. Frequently go over the alloted hours for no extra pay. Underappreciated and often ignored by senior management.

Love working for Moorfields but some part of the building were staff works is an environmental health hazard to o work. Staff is always off sick

It’s full on with no breaks depending on job role. Learning how to be calm during busy sessions and taking on new task when short of management. Some managers are less communicating than other and are always in meeting but still have work issues. The work culture can be one sided eloping favourite staff members in new skills at work and not encouraging team work so that the job gets done without too much workload on individual staff members. The hardest part of the job is working a long shift and only having half an hour lunch break for the whole day. That’s seriously crazy. I love getting the job done in good time and not having people waiting. Love team work was all staff member as you get to understand each other’s workload with respect.

Working week

I would describe NHS as a very procedural working environment. Quite often the work will arrive in a large 'batch' on the admin side of things so 'down time' does exist I believe.

Retail

Fine place to work, colleagues are helpful and nice to work with. The work itself can be a bit repetitive and draining and got an ok work life balance

work

long hours, unusual work-life balance. Depending on where you work it can be intense but again this all depends on your choice of speciality. The pay is ok

Excellent Colleagues dedicated to healthcare

The NHS is a great place to work as iou know you are making a difference. Everyone works together to get the job done and look after the patients. Would work for the NHS again if staff benefits/compensation improved vs private sector.

Pros

Great job purpose, great colleagues, good holiday allowance after 10 years service

Cons

Overworked, underpaid.

Stressfull and challenging.

Challenging work with little management support.Need to excel at multi tasking and be content to work in isolation with little support.Can be very satisfying work building own processes etc.

Pros

Satisfying to support the wider Trust

Cons

Poor management and team working

Great for flexibility

Great for flexibility and having a good home/work life balance. New management structure just coming into effect which will hopefully make it a better place to work.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Poorly paid

Poor management

My manager is very poor and doesn't support me. My colleagues are fantastic, the pay grade should be increased as the volume of my work is more than others, but the manager will not support Re-banding.

NHS staff is very clique and dump on you as much of their work as they can

If you work for most of NHS teams on zero hours contract expect to be overworked by their staff, throwing at you the jobs they don't want to do themselves. If you are friend with the management it's fine because they like favouritism and you'll have hard work life if you don't lick their a..Don't dare to say anything to them or you're not having a job!! In UK unfortunately expect to be treated bad, insulted, overworked and underpaid!! There is no real 'investment in people' as they claim. They don't care about quality and about you!! Make sure you know a lawyer before they dismiss you for nothing -- especially if you dare to tell them their wrongdoings!! Good luck working for NHS!

Hard work, low pay

Hard work for little financial or professional reward. The NHS is run by middle management who are obsessed with targets and budgets, and your performance is monitored under a microscope. Staff morale is on the floor.

Great management

Management great to work for but some colleagues are quite challenging. Overall not a bad company but some improvements needed to enable team work to be better

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement