NHS

NHS Employee Reviews

United Kingdom7,287 reviews

Found 7,287 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,846 reviews

It’s ok

Nothing special but good work ethic from the team I work in, management ok but if want to ask something feel a bit put out, as they always busy, no proper staff room, but friendly and caring colleagues

Nhs

Very fast paced place to work. Unsociable hours as part of contract as a midwife. Pay is not reflective of the amount of work that we do but there are plenty of opportunities for career progression if you take the chance.

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Stressful work place

You'll find it hard trying to get a day off but as expected the nhs is struggling don't think you get paid enough for what you deal with people on a salary are usually over worked and don't get any credit for it

Unsupported

Band 7’s give little support and not visible to staff. Spend day in the office and not interested in staff. Complaints not taken serious and issues with equipment ignore and not escalated.

I have found the NHS an excellent place to work. The wage could be a little better, but you are given job security and a good work life balance. Management here is very good - they really take an interest in their staff and constantly strive for improvement. I would recommend working for the NHS.

Totally rewarding

The hardest job I’ve ever done emotionally but the reward of helping people in their darkest hour and working with great people is great and although some days can be long and stressful the good days outweigh the bad

Pros

Making a difference

Great employer overall

NHS is generally an ok employer. Depending on what Band you are. Time off is good and great perks such as sick pay, maternity pay etc. can be long hours at times

No support from Management

Difficult job during the pandemic.Management unsupportive.The pay is not reflective of job's responsibilities.There is high staff turnover.Blame culture.

Don't go through agency

Initially I was going to write a good review, then next bit happened. Worked in IT department via agency, they said the contract was secure for 3 months, next i get a call saying I was no longer required. On top of that management were fairly respectable towards colleagues and I learned a lot, on the bad side they said to understand you need training and they we'rent prepared to do it. Management kicked off for being stressed and laid off contractors cos they couldn't bothered.

Great

Pretty enjoyable, good employer… happy where I am, still have the flexibility to work from home, which is a big plus due to the price of parking which is extremely expensive

Pros

Free lunches

Busy but the good kind

It’s not for the light hearted! But met some lovely people and rewarding job! Enjoyed it! Was very full on and all hands on deck. Understaffed at times, but the helping others is definitely worth it!

Pros

Lunch discount

Cons

Long days

Nursing

Sadly short staffed, under appreciated. No opportunity to progress. I do enjoy looking after my patients and a lot of the staff are lovely, amazing nurses.

Pros

Caring for patients

Cons

Not appreciated

Great workplace!

I’ve worked a little in the private sector and working for the NHS imo has really good benefits, better than private for me. Excellent amount of holidays given each year, flexibility around childcare and working from home. Overall I feel very job secure working for the NHS.

Too many Fixed term contracts

no job security as its just extensions of Fixed Term contracts. Management dont seem to be sure of their own processes which makes training and asking questions difficult.

Awful management

Absolutely no help or support from management , afraid to ask for help as they have showed you once so you should know it inside out. Horrible place , if your face fits your ok, if it doesn’t , you will be talked about. Avoid with all costs unless you want to end up Ill.

Challenging workplace

Overall a challenging workplace and I did not enjoy working there management made matters worse and there was clear favouritism happening in front of us did not enjoy at all absolutely acceptable

It's very stressful at work

We at the nh s are very stressful at work we never get appreciate for the work we do and the pay is ok buy it should be more as the price of good has gone up and our wages seems to go up with one percent which is not good we get no free meals

Pros

Only good pension

Cons

No free meals

Usual NHS job

Usual NHS job, long hours but respectful managers. Under paid of course but that's not a surprise, nurses are undervalued in general. Organised chaos. Great team.

Could be better

The workplace wasn’t too bad, however, if your face fits you’ll get favouritism over the other people who work twice as hard. There is no problem solving either. If someone has an issue with you the managers just tell you to keep away from each other. There’s hardly any recognition either.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

You’re expected to work 3 weekends of out 4

Excellent job security

Great organization with excellent job security.Each day gave me an opportunity to learn something new in the field of medicine.Patients experienced high wait times. However, staff did try their best to alleviate this challenge by going above and beyond to ensure patient satisfaction.

Work place culture very mixed .

Manchester University Hospitals Foundation Trust. Needs a massive overhaul poor management never really listen lower Bands and too many of them and some have climb the ladder far too quickly with little life experience!!!!

Pros

Decent Annual leave entitlement

Cons

Low salary

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?