NHS

Birmingham159 reviews

Found 159 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,850 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

Great

Pretty enjoyable, good employer… happy where I am, still have the flexibility to work from home, which is a big plus due to the price of parking which is extremely expensive

Pros

Free lunches

Beneficial

You learn lifelong valued skills within healthcare.If you are in the right team it can be very enjoyable to work. Some teams often have clicks especially from the older the staff. If the team is good it makes your day much better

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Work load, stress

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,232 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Overall a good place to work

Training is always provided and constantly refreshed. Most staff are lovely and helpful, breaks are given fairly. However very very busy, sometimes lack of home/work balance and not paid enough for what you go through

Productive fun

Working as a booking clark my role involved dealing with a lot of inbound caller. Working as a team to achieve targets.Training in different Softwares to keep up to date with my role

Pros

Cons

Management have favourites

Not the best experience

This Company is top heavy with “Management” whose turn it was to advance, this was not only obvious it was what we were told by the very people who had as advanced.Most of the Management I encountered didn’t have enough work to do every day! I would recommend a huge review of what work is actually achieved over very little hours that are paidNot good!

Useless

Weak, gutless management who generally only get these roles as they were hopeless on the clinical side. Certain staff can arrive late every shift or have as many sick days as they like safe in the knowledge they are unsackable.

Pros

They pay me on time

Cons

Too lengthy to list

Good training and pension

Overall it's a good place to work with lots of training opportunities all paid for and lots of variety for sideways moves. It can be a career for life if you want.

Pros

Free training

Cons

Long hours and shifts

Poor working environment

A very poor place to work.Bad management on all levels,the management are only there for themselves and to climb the ladder whilst walking over the people who actually do the job.No job satisfaction and a feeling of worthlessness.It as become a very sad working environment,such a shame because the band 3 and band 4 staff have been left behind,it is too late to get these staff members back on side.

Pros

Not much

Cons

Bad management on all levels

Good workplace

I worked over the three sites during my student nurse training it was a very good working placement, colleagues are very nice genuine people helping to learn and practice. I have worked as a ward clerk receptionist I enjoyed it great working experience. I have also worked as an auxiliary nurse on several wards an departments great work environment would recommend highly to other individuals.

Bad place

Victim of work place bullying for no reason and the management was in on it. The money is good but people are horrible , even the higher ups treat you like dirt.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Staff

Jobs for the boys

It’s not whether you can do the job or not it’s all about the click. If you drink or went to school with the boss then you’re in! Beware of ‘bank’ contracts you are not entitled to any paid leave or sick pay and have zero job security. They will lie and say that contracts come up all the time, yet in my experience it’s once in 17 months. And as previously explained back to the ‘click’ again.

Pros

Some nice colleagues

Cons

Poor pay for physical job

Good progression but not very secure

Salary is quite high and there’s other benefits such as pension scheme. However, not very secure as they drop you when they want and sometimes make promises they can’t keep. Overall, I would work here despite the negatives, as there’s so much they can offer you

Pros

Salary and Flexibility

Cons

Favouritism, Management and Job security

Challenging place

Very stressful shifts but very rewarding. Line management needs very educating on communicating with bank staff. Very challenging and hands on work. You need to able to deal with conflict situations

Challenging

Unfortunately there is quite a lot of bullying in the NHS - not given autonomy and limited chance to progress unless your face fits. Blame culture is very prevalent - keep everything because someone is always willing to blame you for their mistakes!

Pros

Jobs quite secure

Cons

Poor pension if you join over 50

Unsure

I came to work here from a very supportive Trust and I feel this one was not. I had issues on the ward with a course and was not allocated patients I should have in order to support my course. It is very much this is how we do it.

Pros

Cheap parking and shift pattern

Cons

Long hours and stress

Corrupt

Do not work for this Trust. They have a corrupt group of managers who have caused a lot of trouble for staff in the Trust. Avoid at all costs and work somewhere else in the Midlands where they protect their staff.

Pros

Cons

Corrupt management

Brilliant

Brilliant place with the nicest people, just a shame I was only able to work there as unpaid placement, the supervisor was brilliant and recommended me to other hospitals locally for further placement

It was overall a good experience

It was my first job in Holyhead Primary Health care center. It was a homely atmosphere and felt safe. NHS is very particular about their work, and they treat employee as a family.

Great place to work!

My time working with the NHS is fabulous. I am part of an exciting and professional team. Each day brings different challenges. I am wholly fulfilled in my role of Auxilary Nurse.

Pros

Teamwork

Cons

Unsocial hours

Underpaid and undersupported

I came to work for NHS via an agency. I hit the ground running with very little training and was pulled up about not being 100% correct 7 months later. When I had high risk clients to deal with, I was fobbed off by management and even spoken to rudely by management even though I had done nothing wrong. I escalated this in email and luckily was listened to at that point. The only good thing about working here is what you make of it, and I enjoyed working with colleagues who were nice. The job is full on, there is little concern for your well being or burnout and you get penalized fast if you don't keep up. A lot more is expected of you than there is time for and given my experience and qualifications, I would be underpaid if it weren't for being on an agency/locum rate.

Pros

Given a laptop for mobile working

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of staff, unethical and dangerous to staff wellbeing

productive

good place to work but not many jobs available when wanting to progress or for changes within the hospital staff friendly helpful, i have learnt what i needed to within my role. many cultures with in the team management are friendly and supportive. the most enjoyable part of my role is getting to know patients and making them well to go back home or a placement area that they need to recover from their illness. working within the multi-disciplinary team is a good success with working with patients carers and families.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Birmingham
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?