NHS

NHS Employee Reviews in Edinburgh

Edinburgh73 reviews

Found 73 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,836 reviews

Fun workplace

Everyday you may meet interesting people and your work will make difference to them. But understaffed and underpaid which will have massive impact on your life. Thankfully most of the staff will make you feel confident and supportive.

Fast paced, great benefits, nice colleagues

Great place to work, good benefits ie pension/sick pay etc. Work life balance. Would say that more room for progression is needed if you want to move up the ladder.

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,210 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Good

Love working here. Money is good for the job you do however due to the contracts being fixed term, it can be stressful to find something afterwards. However they do offer a redeployment scheme which is helpful

Pros

Wfh

Cons

Job security

Nhs

I think most people know what it is like to work for nhs. Job is secure, pay is ok but could be better given the skill needed, colleagues are great and an enjoyable job most of the time.

Very understaffed and stressful

It’s a shame that I have to do this review but there is not enough staff. You’re treated like a number and judged if you are sick or not feeling well. They expect a maximum performance for not the best pay available in the country. Only good thing is you get to help sick people but even that is not a great experience as staff numbers don’t let you do your job properly.

Nightmare place to work !

Poor management and definitely not a ‘caring company’, awful blame culture and stressful place to work. No support, no loyalty, no credit or recognition of hard work or dedication : so many are just clocking hours!

Pros

Good NHS benefits

Cons

Long hours, little gratification

Enjoyed my time working for NHS

very stressful and challenging job but very supportive team and management, I enjoyed working here. Also lots of focus on personal development and opportunities for further training

Absolutely awful work environment

I had been trying to gain employment with NHS for a while and was successful in interview and have been doing the job for 7 months now. I wish I hadn't bothered. I waited almost 5 months from job offer before I got my start date, which is ridiculous considering staff shortages are at an all time high.Recruitment are a nightmare and constantly requested copies of things I had sent over weeks before. So finally get started and had no training, chucked on a ward and left to get on with it. Band 5/6 staff are bullies and I agree the more senior the staff the nastier they seem to be. I have never felt so demoralised in a workplace like I do here. There are a lot of perks like the pension, sick pay and the pay is decent for what you do but the negatives still overshadow all that for me personally.I can only summise that those who stick around are quite happy to tolerate this toxic work environment. It is never the patients that make the job unenjoyable, that's one part of the job I really liked, it's staff that make it unbearable. You are either ignored and left out or spoken to like you are worthless and team work doesn't exist. If anyone is planning on gaining employment with NHS Lothian I honestly wouldn't bother and I was someone who was desperate to get in and now I'm desperate to get out. I've never been this unhappy in a job it's the worst I've ever had in my life.

Pros

Pension, sick pay, work life balance, unsociable pay rates

Cons

Long hours, toxic work environment, systematic bullying from senior staff, low staff morale

Good work place

Good team and work place, always happy people to work for. Seems to me from my experience it’s always been pleasant. I enjoy working for the NHS they provide excellent skills and training.

Pros

Good work banter

Horrendous

Working for NHS Lothianhas been a dreadful experience. The business is over-run with band 6/7 who got their positions through length of service rather than on merit which has resulted in a very poor management system. Systematic bullying from band 5 and band 6 is endemic in the service and there is no recourse.I would strongly advise against working in NHS Lothian but instead pursue a role in the private sector for better pay and conditions, better management and a wholly better experience.

Pros

Cons

Bullying, unacceptable patient care, very poor management.

Open to new challenges

Has lots of opportunities to try as a nurse, progression only available in certain areas though. There is a competitive culture in some areas where it should be more collaborative. But overall it’s an enjoyable job when you are with patients and you see you can make a difference to people’s lives.

Pros

Rewarding

Cons

Competitive

Horrible management

I wouldn’t never work within nhs again after my experience. It’s seemed the higher up the staff the nastier they became. Trained nurses acted like bullies, if you try to bring it up you’re quickly put in you’re place.

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

Nasty staff

enjoy working for NHS

NHS Scotland look after their staff, and provide support if you need time off. NHS Scotland are a great company to be employed by, great holidays, and great people

Pros

support

Cons

shifts

Job security, Great staff, Bad pay

Working at nhs, you have support and feel like part of the team. Secure job as long as you are professional and dont neglect patients, staff or visitors.Getting paid correctly and on time is very poor, the job is hard enough to work in and to then not be paid properly is just unprofessional. I left the job as a result of this and 3 weeks later I am still trying to sort my pay out because someone messed up the paperwork and didnt communicate it onto payroll.Im sure its not always like this, but I shouldnt have to deal with working and trying to sort out getting paid properly.

Pros

Staff, work environment, support, training, job security

Cons

Being paid on time, being paid correctly, no training during covid for new start.

NHS Scotland as a whole is a brilliant place to work, however I work in a GP surgery and although I get get on well with my colleagues, I feel the management there could be better

Pros

Benefits, flexible

Cons

Stressful

Work culture

The company will provide full training from the first day of employment. You will learn about the company, manual handling, fire safety over 2 days before you start you first real day on the job. You will have online learning to complete and most likely have a buddy with you to go over the basics to help find your feet.

Pros

Good leave allocation

Cons

Lack of benefits

Poor culture

My enduring memory is the toxicity of the culture. Nursing management are demeaning, patronising, bullying, indecisive. I did meet some lovely managers who were excellent at their jobs however, I met way too many who were incompetent and getting away with it. Hence, a high turnover in some areas.

Pros

Lots of options for work

Cons

Bad culture

Good for people who require flexiable working

I have worked at the Staff Bank for 3.5yrs. I like the flexibility of being able to pick your own workplace and shift. Sometimes a ward will cancel your shift at short notice which can be a pain! Most wards/areas are helpful and keen to show you about but your get some areas where bank staff are treated like dogsbodies and are given the rubbish jobs that no one else wants to do, i.e cleaning beds, commodes, bins etc.

organised

Very good and organise vccnvkjfdagja;odlkgjatro;gld to work for. Good salary and good annual leave. i really like the work load, i worked indepenantly...

Pros

Flexible management

Very good place to work

Support the nhs gives is second to none. Work life balance is easly acheaved with the nhs. 80% of the stafd are easy to get along and work with. Loads of moaning off lazy people who dont know how good they have it. (Only bad bit) Would go back for the right post.

Varied and Challenging

A varied life experience. Everyday something a bit different for you to try and solve. What you do here you will remember for a long time and may help.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement