NHS
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

NHS Employee Reviews in Exeter

Exeter50 reviews

Found 50 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,942 reviews

Fast paced stressful but rewarding

Very interesting you learn something new every day. As a trust employee you have access to all the benefits of the NHS such as great holiday allowances, pension scheme and support from Occupational health should you need it.

Poorly under paid and unappreciated

Management don't care about staffThere is alot of hierarchy in the nhs rde You are worth nothing and always looked down on. Pay is unfair. Health care assistant gets paid same as a cleaner and postman. Even though responsibilities and risks are alot higher. You get shouted at by nurses cause you ask them a question and its not there patient or you get blatantly ignored. They stop and look at you then turn around and walk away. They pretend you aren't there even when they are stood in the way. When you go and complain Management just throw it under the carpet and don't bother taking it any further.

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Stressful

Training and induction not adequate, left to learn from colleagues who don't really care if you do things right or not. If you want to get on then you can't do things right.

Fast-paced, stressful, no work/life balance, and no support or understanding

Working for the First Response service, I experienced extreme cliques, especially within management. There was no understanding of how the shifts impacted on people, especially the night shifts, favouritism was rife, and if you were a working parent, don’t expect the management to care! The service is another waste of NHS money. Instead of ploughing money into therapy and recovery, the NHS continues to throw money into services that keep patients trapped in a state of trauma by long waiting lists and medication that does not get to the root cause of issues. Unless you have a nursing degree, you will not get very far in this job. The banding labels within the NHS create a class system, which then creates a competitive vibe, which paves the way for bullying. The calls are extremely traumatic and there is very little support for employees. Dealing with distressing and traumatic calls for 8 hours a day, five days a week eventually takes it toll and once you hit burn out, there is no going back.

Pros

The salary is great.

Cons

Cliques, bullying, shifts are either late or early or all day or all night, no help or understanding if you are a parent, no work/ life balance, management are extremely biased, the calls are distressing and there is little support for employees.

Great team

Incredible team, which is so supportive and encouraging. The job itself is as diverse as you are because you're encouraged to be creative. Good pay on Sundays - however the rest of the week/nights the pay is low.

Pros

Helping people.

Cons

Working nights.

Good management. Work is fast paced and can be stressful. Overnights and weekends are expected. Not many staff, a lot of shifts needing cover. Overall staff are good, there is a lot of support from groups within trust for staff that help with stress or sleep issues. Building is modern with good equipment.

Pros

Good leave, good management, room to learn and develop skills.

Cons

Long hours, pay not good for cost of living in area

Varies

Always something new to do and learn. However it is up to the individual to make things happen regarding their career. There is no formal training for the job

Fast paced environment with support,

I work as an Emergency Medical Dispatcher so calls are varied and many, close knit group of people with support and consideration. Team collaboration and support effectively given and offered.

Pros

Shift patterns and overtime when needed

Cons

Offices need updating

Excellent place to work

Having worked at the Royal Devon and Exeter hospital as a domestic assistant for 17 years, I have known how this place works, procedures and the way they do things. It's an excellent opportunity for anyone who wants job security if you're not bothered about the salary and with what's going on at the moment it's ideal.

Pros

Friendly staff, good management

Cons

Not great salary

Avoid

No staff support and patient treatment is dubious to say the least. Having worked in other trusts I found Devon partnership about 20 years behind others. Management style is that of bullying and intimidation.

Pros

Job easy to get

Cons

Awful

Great enviroment to be apart of mixing with every walk of life

The NHS is constantly changing, growing and under pressure. If you feel you have what it takes to take on challenges on a daily basis whilst receiving great support from your peers and work family then join the dynamic workforce that it is

Apprenticeship

Apprenticeships are Great to learn on the job. Meet lovely colleagues and learn to deal with challenges correctly. Always supported and guided well in social care setting

Great

Love the job I do and the environment I’m in and feel very supported , only fault would be how long they take to process paper work , pay you after starting and getting you initially started. I was out of work for 4 months before actually getting shifts - and waited 5 months for my pay since having the job offer! (They should advise you more on keeping current jobs till a certain date)

Blame culture in non clinical areas

Clinically, this is a great hospital and you would get a completely different review from someone in the clinical teams but the admin and operational management style is very hierarchical which frowns on empowerment and creates a blame culture. Also feels very top heavy management which is waste of resources.

Pros

Usual NHS benefits.

Cons

Long hours.

Good Team, relaxed environment

One of the better places I have worked in the last 5 years. Good team, understanding management. Overall a well balanced office. Work day is varied and never dull.

Busy, pressured and competitive but diverse and interesting

The best part is the reward that you receive from knowing that you have made a difference, that everything that you did never lost sight of those you held responsibility for. A typical day would normally include unpaid overtime, it will be diverse, busy and there will be multiple requests for different works to be completed and provided to others for presentation. Culture and management - is powerful and if you fit in you will receive high investment, be given many opportunities and, in terms of career progression, be rewarded with rapid career progression and promotion.

Patient Focused

Patient focused, well regarded employer, shared goals, desire to be an employer of choice, cares about it's workforce and the patients they serve, would return.

Good working environment

I started working for the NHS straight from school and was there for nearly 30 years I had many good times working for them.My job could be quite challenging at times but I enjoyed being part of a team.I learned new skills as the management would implement changes from time to time .They were very flexible when I had my children and had to reduce my working hours .

Fast paced,challenging but rewarding

Having worked here for over 15years I think it’s a great place to work. Lots of opportunity to work in different areas with career progression options.

Very friendly

The manager & the deputy head Phlebotomist are so helpful, when I started I was so nervous about actually taking patients blood instead of a dummy arm. They didn’t rush me into it, they explained everything perfectly. Most importantly I picked it up quickly and I found talking to the patients whilst taking blood eased my nerves but also there’s to.

Pros

Planned fun things for the team to do together

Cons

Short hours fits nicely into my day

Good team environment. Good structured training

Long hours but it feels nice to help people. Felt well supported by other staff and managers Pay is not the highest but fairly easy job compared to others.

Pros

Good team

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement