NHS

NHS Employee Reviews in Glasgow

Glasgow98 reviews

Found 98 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,845 reviews

Busy busy

Working in the NHS is very rewarding but it can so be very stressful and very busy. No 2 days are the same with differing needs of patients on an hourly basis sometimes. The shifts mean you work long hours but the shift goes in very quickly and then you have more days off than a 9 to 5 job. Most staff members work well and there is a sense of camaraderie but as with every work place there can be a few that you just don't get on with no matter how hard you try. Most staff members pull their weight but again there can be the odd 1 that doesn't. Knowing you are making a difference to patients and their recovery can be rewarding and challenging at times. The wages are not very competitive and you could earn more stacking shelves in some supermarkets if you don't get your enhancements. Weekend work and nightshifts make up your hourly rate due to enhancements but if you don't have many of them then your basic can be rubbish for the job that you do.

Pros

Jon satisfaction, teamwork and working with people

Cons

Long hours, work can be heavy and wages are rubbish

Good work life

Great work life balance.Rotational shifts.Online application, face to face or online interview.Parking available, great discounts, great holidays...!

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Love working for NHS

I love my job at the NHS but I would like some degree of flexibility to be given for parents of toddlers who don’t have any childcare or are struggling to get childcare.

No progression for part time employees

In my area there is no opportunity to advance if you are part time staff. Long shifts rarely finish on time. Chronic shortage of staff. Low staff morale.

Worthwhile and supportive

An enjoyable place to work - supportive team and good training. Flexible trusted to behave like a professional. Promotion opportunities. Overtime opportunities.

Overall very enjoyable and highly interesting

Working in a career where you want to help people and generally felling happy. it can be unnecessarily stressful dealing with short staffing & red tape. Othe areas to improve are the hours but generally good. While most colleagues are lovely there can be a generally unmotivated atmosphere is areas

Best thing is always looking after the patients which gives job satisfaction

Stressful ward rounds but always supported by friendly management and colleagues. Most hospital sites are very well maintained with good facilities.which all the staff like using

Pros

Blue Light card

Cons

Lack of parking when doing night shifts

Long hours, low pay and a toxic stressful culture at times. Too many non mangers managing!

Long hours, low pay and a toxic stressful culture at times. So much gossiping it's unreal! Cliquey so teamwork is a joke. Silent treatment is used as punishment as well as being left doing 1-1s all day.Encouraged to stay as untrained and not better yourself and treated poorly if you do. Can have some clinical staff treat you poorly due to your banding or colour of uniform!Covid blamed for everything including waiting months to start new positions or even just getting a phone call or email back! Very little staff in some places making workloads unrealistic. Expected to put up with violent behaviour and treated very badly if you report it (they do not follow through unless you are severely hurt). However some patients are a dream and are very thankful for all your help. And on the odd occasion you get good staff to work with it can be tolerable even likeable. There are chances to progress but very few and far between unless you train to be a nurse.

Pros

Rewarding experience on good days. Sense of achievement seeing a patient recover and go home.

Cons

Long hours. Low pay. Unrealistic workloads. The public. The media.

An all right place

I worked for the NHS for 3 years. The pay is good for what you do (weekend enhancements). The job security is great. The hours are not flexible, but there was usually no issue if you had to request certain days off, or leave early/arrive late for good reason.

Pros

Pay Colleagues

Cons

On your feet all day

Have worked with GGC Nhs for 5 years now and from beginning till now still love my job. Has issues like most places like shortage of staff etc although with good staff all help each other out. Personally I have had good relationships between my self and mangement which helps carry out my job effectively. Hope to continue working within Nhs GGC.

Pros

Good rate of pay, good holidays and good overtime.

Cons

Needs more staff with longer contracts

Absolutely chaotic

I will NEVER work for the nhs ever again!! I had 8 years as a senior technician but the management and people were totally lacked empathy! I had 3 major breakdowns and have now left due to severe anxiety and mental health problems.

Pros

Helping patients

Cons

Manager was just shocking!!!

Productive and busy

Generally friendly and helpful staff, busy environment.Much better than lanarkshire in terms of staff attitude. More hands on and helpful toward the public.

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

Bus journeys

Busy environment

Good place to work with staff benefits depending on which department you work for there is good flexibility with working hours. Parking can be expensive at times but at the moment it’s free

Pros

Easy to get to

Cons

Parking cost

don't work for the Telecoms team at the NHS

NHS Telecoms Very bad company to work for for as a Telecom engineer they don't treat you very well you are always under pressure under value money is very poor no breaks in the morning or afternoon just a half hour at dinner time Management is non caring as long is the work is done no pressure on them makes them look good to senior management don't take my word for it if your thinking about applying for a job with the NHS telecom team you will soon find out how bad this set up is

Pros

Home time

Cons

LONG HOURS bad Management no breaks just half a hour for dinner

Dreadful way to Treat People that's down to the people running the contract

i started as a telecoms engineer contractor and found the people in charge didn't know the job except the odd person and the pace was very hectic no breaks in the morning half a hour at lunch no break in the afternoon just Rush Rush Rush 8 hour day and very long may be it was the NHS people i was working with and i was a contractor but i don't recommend going into the NHS As contractor you don't get looked after i could go on

Pros

Home Time

Cons

No Breaks NHS. management don't treat you very well as a contractor

Loved working at nhs

So totally protected to look after my working life and we’re really helpful had no issues with any of my working colleagues who have given me the confidence to go for better jobs

Don't have any expectations

After 40 yrs it's sad to write about the negative aspects of health care. Everything falls to the Staff Nurse. Ward manager & Lead nurse vanish at 4.00pm so you are left with finding beds, admissions all your own work. Also you have to give out meals as no one has realised the trolley can move but the care assistant complain. Its overwhelming, expect to be overworked with no support. Complaints mean not coping. Not a lifetime job. Health Hazard!! & no respect from colleagues.

Pros

Specialist experience

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, undervalued

The NHS is a good steady job

I enjoyed my time within the NHS and was able to progress in my career. I have learned many new skills met all grades of staff. My highlight was being able to assist or offer advice to staff, patients and all other bodies

Pros

Opportunity to learn other skills

Cons

Sometimes long hours

Do not recommend!

Highly stressful working in healthcare and you are never appreciated or thanked for what you do. You are paid pennies and expected to be grateful. You are constantly under stress and have too much to do to fit into a 12 hour shift - then you have to stay later and catch up on notes etc and you don't get paid for staying any later! It is an awful career I would not recommend it to anyone. You are simply a number and a part of the cog working for the NHS and no one in the higher places of the organisation give a bleep about you.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, always tired, paid pennies

Good place to work - pay could be better

Staff are mostly wonderful and welcoming. Team work is great. Management could do with some improvement but rarely need to speak with them. Isn’t easy for moving up the ladder so to speak however if that doesn’t bother you then it’s perfect. Long days for very little pay. I think the pay in the NHS could be improved across the board though. More training should be provided such as CPR and moving and handling however overall a nice environment to work in.

Pros

Team work and good breaks

Cons

Pay, management and training

Good

I loved working within the NHS it’s given me a push to persue a career in nursing, I also enjoyed working with colleagues and helping others in need of care

Pros

Great team work

Cons

Long shifts

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement