NHS
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

NHS Reviews in Leicester

Leicester42 reviews

Found 42 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,949 reviews

Good place to work as a team

Lots of benefits, huge amounts of staff lots of interesting places to work, can progress if you get in the right department, you will make lots of friends. Flexible working available

Good

Not a bad place to work however no fair pay and understaffed, supportive team members and opportunities to progress within your team with the right knowledge and training.

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,521 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks

No training, you have to make your own way.

If you want steady job with no further upskill that's something for you. Definitely no suitable for people with ambition to achieve something more. Shame.

I enjoyed it

I worked as a bank support worker at mental health units. There was always plenty of work available and each ward had slightly different dynamics so difficult to judge but it's what you expect from mental health settings. I guess everyone could find a ward they like if prepared for the nature of the job

Pros

Lots of shifts available

Cons

Sometimes difficult to contact line managers

Terrible to work for

I started working for the NHS as a HSW. My first time working within the healthcare industry and I was beyond excited to start as I felt it was my dream job I had landed. Unfortunately the NHS left me broken hearted and very disheartened. They left me alone in patients pods despite not being MAPPA trained or having any experience. There was NO support from management or staff. There was nothing in place for new staff at all even other members of staff agreed and asked me to put together a policy. They expect you to work and be available morning, late and night shifts despite me asking for evenings off due to me being a carer for my partner who is disabled and they did not agree to this even though other members of staff don’t work nights or particular shifts just because they don’t want too. It felt very unfair. I raised this many times with management but no support or help. They sat me in a kitchen for 2 weeks in patients pods as I was supernumerary but when 2 weeks was up you become part of the numbers and expected to do your job despite not given you any training or experience. I ended up quitting my job after only being there for 3 months because despite how many times I went to management to get extra help and support, they didn’t seem to care. On top of that there seems to be a rank in the NHS like band 8 nurses believed they were better than everyone else. There is definitely a click within the NHS. I honestly had never felt so lonely within a job. Despite me actually enjoying helping patients, I couldn’t stay because i didn’t feel supported and didn’t feel like there -

Cons

Expected to available all the time, bullying, rank system, no support from management

Avoid this place

Some of the staff are horrible , lazy and not helpful. A lot of bullies and the management is not doing anything about it. If you are new they will try to exploit you.

Pros

You need to pay for your kettle, tea and milk. Even to wash your cup you have to use public toilet.

A certain kind of person

While your colleagues will be supportive, management is poor. There is no wellbeing support and no follow ups if raise concerns. Pay is bad for the workload and you would receive some form of verbal abuse daily.However, the pension is good and some discounts that you can get.

Pros

Pension, discounts

Cons

Verbal abuse, poor pay and does not reflect workload

Midwife

I enjoyed being a midwife, but I felt it was time to retire from the profession as I had spent much of my working life as a midwife. I take some very happy memories with me

Pros

Enjoyable job

Cons

Long hours and staff shortages

Extremely productive workplace

Varied and challenging work with clinical and academic colleagues. Management underwent many structural changes, so necessary to adapt to changing culture

Very fast pace work, but very enjoyable

A typical day would be answering more than 15 calls per hour, which were all different in content, where we learned something new with each call. We had a very friendly workplace- although you could not chat- as it was too busy. Colleagues who were on a break-tended to refill the tea cups for everyone. It was a lovely culture/setting to work in as we all helped each other. The hardest part for me was taking information over the phone with a death notice. Management was very strict. The most enjoyable part of the job-was being able to help a caller with their problem-be it an appointment to attend- or to speak with a GP.

Productive, team work

It is often very busy and demanding, this keeps us busy all day. I have learnt many new skills including excellent communications skills on all levels.

Excellent

Very Good! Great customer service skills. They can help in anyway no matter how much work it makes them do they will do it. Great services and well done

Difficult role but very rewarding if you have a good team

The role itself can be very challenging, working with patients with acute psychiatric illnesses. There can be risks to your safety and well-being as these sort of illnesses can result in unpredictability and aggression. With that being said, if you are working within a strong and supportive team, you feel safer and happier in the role. My reason for leaving is that there was not enough psychological intervention for the patients and therefore my own personal goals for advancement in this area was limited.

Poor Management

unprofessional management and unfriendly staff. Very Routine day to day. Not enough work variety for myself. Lack support from management and very little team motivation. Very high staff turnover. This is only on the department I work in. I can't talk for the rest.

The NHS is great organisation to work for with a variety of opportunities to progress. They are also flexible with working hours and offer a wide range of support.

worked as a housekeeper

This job is very busy and workload is very unfair, the staffing is not equal on every unit, I was on my own working most of the time nearly every shift, then after a while 6-7 month there is another housekeeper there , so my workload is reversed as I have back up. I was not trained properly for this job. I was being performance managed very strictly so was forced to quit to avoid being sacked.

A good stepping stone

I loved the team working, I always felt part of a little family. It was very flexible with opportunities for overtime or bank working. Plenty of training offered. The management were very supportive and I always felt like I could raise an issue if I needed to. The downsides were being understaffed and being busy for an entire shift (however this did make the 12 hour shifts fly by) and not enough opportunities within the psychology department.

Pros

Flexibility, long shifts meaning only a 3 day work week

Cons

Not enough psychology opportunities, understaffed

Micro management

Working with the single point of access. The job itself takes a lot of learning and understanding of processes which is constantly changing. Heavy focus on service level and staff wellbeing is compromised and neglected. Be prepared to be a robot. Takes micro management to another level. Inexperienced manager.

Pros

Rewarding to be able to help those in need

Cons

Micro managed; does not communicate with staff, not valued or respected

productive work place and colleagues were amazing

typical work day in the NHS was always busy and fantastic don't know where the hours went most of the days. betides the fact I was bullied by some work colleagues it was a nice place

Pros

NHS discount

Cons

bullying never resolved

Good opportunities to progress to different areas and continue to learn

A busy environment, stressful at times, but good management and support, I have gained NVQ's and other certificates and was able to do a computers course which was valuable.

Pros

lots of corporate discounts and offers for staff

Cons

Pay is not good

tiring,rewarding

A typical day at work as a health care support worker is all patient centered it is a tiring yet rewarding job and has taught me a lot of experience. the most enjoyable part of the job is working with good strong leaders.

Pros

discounts

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Leicester
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?