NHS
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

NHS Employee Reviews in Manchester

Manchester126 reviews

Found 126 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,850 reviews

Work place culture very mixed .

Manchester University Hospitals Foundation Trust. Needs a massive overhaul poor management never really listen lower Bands and too many of them and some have climb the ladder far too quickly with little life experience!!!!

Pros

Decent Annual leave entitlement

Cons

Low salary

Stressful

Almost every day is exhausting, I felt like I was burnt out all the time. I personally had minimal support and often hated reaching work in the morning.

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,235 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Enhanced payments the only good thing

No support through management. They preach staff well being but will swap you from day shifts to night shifts weekly with no in between. If you ask for any stability for shifts you get none. You get paid less that a care home wage for a HCA other than for nights and sundays. It’s the most stressful job and not worth the money. They say they will support you through courses however no one will do that.

It can be better if giving a listening ears

I would still put NHS first point of working contacts and experience before any other. Because of the different challenges you have to deal with each day. And also knowing and appreciate how beautiful and special it is to make a huge difference in implementing possibilities and positive life by one's emphatic sence of humour

Great

Great company to work for. Stressful at times but the support is there if you need it. Good progression options and encouraged to continue your development.

Awful management

Awful managementNo career progressionNo staff supportNo mental health supportJust a bum on a seatPoor communicationLucky if they get your pay correct

Stressful- demoralising

No benefit what so ever working for the NHS - It is a business structured by Targets and Productivity Not patient care or sympathetic to needs of others

Friendly co-workers

The workers at NHS are very friendly and are always willing to give a hand. However, management is not the strongest and the workplace culture is almost non-existant.

Pros

NHS pension plan

Cons

Lack of work culture

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

If you fancy being everyone's punching bag, constantly rushed off of your feet doing multiple people's jobs by yourself with zero appreciation or thanks, and having the extra slap in the face of not earning enough to afford rent and food (nevermind anything even remotely "luxurious"), feel free to get a job in the NHS.Pros: Condensed hours so one weekday off a week (though it's more often than not spent recovering from the other shifts). Rotas often released weeks in advance so scheduling appointments and such outside of work is actually possible. Some coworkers do their jobs and are pleasant to work with.Cons: 30 minute lunch and one 10 minute break for an 11 hour shift. Extremely busy stressful and understaffed. Patients/patients' families/doctors/consultants/coworkers all taking out their frustration on you even when you've done all you can to help them and you just have to put up with it. Lazy coworkers. Constant nitpicking and being made to feel like nothing you do will ever be good enough. No progression opportunities. Pay is absolutely shocking. Management are useless and always on annual leave, Nothing at all is done about bullying/favouritism/being singled out/double standards.

Pros

Condensed hours

Cons

Don't even get me started

rewarding role

Not paid enough for the role we do. Very stressful and fast paced. It is rewarding and Supervisors all want to help you as much as possible. Lots of focus on career progression

Recruitment process was just over 3 months & the management was poor

From the day I was told I was being put forward for a role and to the day I actually started, the duration was way over 3 months. It was a role that sounded perfect for me so I waited and ate into savings while HR, Management and Recruitment sat on their hands.Upon starting no real training was given, access to systems wasn't prepared for my arrival and the team leader was unsociable and unfriendly which created a bad atmosphere overall.I wouldn't go back for double the wage.

Pros

Good working hours, weekly pay

Cons

Long recruitment process, poor management, poor organisation, no benefits

Worked in diagnostic labs - Collaborative and fun workplace

Inclusive and fun working atmosphere - given enough space to develop and showcase skills and abilities. Large department with different sub sections.

The service I worked for was only a fixed 2 year contract, in which we ended up moving to another service through the tupe system.

- great structure in regards to what the service was setting out to accomplish within the community.- wasn’t managed fantastically and the 2 year fixed contract didn’t give you job security.- pay wasn’t great, when you looked at what the job entailed and the work and responsibilities you had.

Pros

Great benefit scheme

Cons

- pay not great - poor management and no job security

nhs admin

boring sometimes management not good in a click good holidays within the service and sick paysometimes a slow working day everyday feels the same

Pros

good holidays and benifits

Cons

management not good

Current working environment very stressful

Stressful environment to work in but excellent team bonding. Pay structure doesn't reflect effort and staff skills. It can very rewarding working with in a Hospital environment but equally as rewarding.

Making a real difference

Saving people's lives, helping them when they are most vulnerable, great safety culture, wonderful colleagues, but poor management (on the whole) reactive and not forward planning. The drawback of being interferred with by government. I have managed 19 years in different roles, so can't be so bad can it?

Pros

Great people, great patients

Cons

Lack of career progression

Overall it was alright. I was a full time worker, although it was for a short period of time I enjoyed it. Training was for a couple of days . Management was also great

Pros

Weekly pay

Cons

Rewarding work, good colleagues, but never ending service demands.

Overall I do like working here, because the work is rewarding in its own way, the people I work with are good (including our immediate line managers and supervisors), but the shifts are long (standard shift pattern is 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am, weekends, bank holidays, the lot), and the demand is never ending. While there are quiet times, there is no limit to how busy it can get, and upper management can be somewhat frustrating at times by occasionally introducing process changes which read like they haven't been checked by someone who actually does the job. And while demand has steadily built up and up over the years, numbers of ambulances deployed on the road has not; if anything, there are fewer resources available. This is the one thing that would make the job more tolerable, and I've even said so to one senior manager when he came round the office asking our opinions, but it was brushed off with an awkward "anything else we could do?"I have eventually been worn down by this job and various personal factors and am now looking for less stressful work elsewhere, but for the right people, it can be a lifelong career.

Cfr

fun role to undertake (not paid) can claim milage but not easy to do so. most people make you feel part of the team odd person makes it clear your not part of the team (very few people tho) main management for your team is based far away so can feel unsupported at times as not part of local stations

Pros

exciting role every day is different full flexibility

Cons

have to pay for uniform if you want this

Avoid

Bullying culture by management who basically feather their own nest . No concern for staff welfare or breaks . High turn over of staff who have no life experience and are young and immature and senior experienced staff are dumped on from a high level.Poor equipment and vehicles and one hand doesn't know what the other is doing Avoid at all costs toxic workplace

Pros

Going home

Progression opportunities

This trust has plenty of progression opportunities, and has so many different fields of nursing you can go in it. I am leaving as it’s a long commute to where I have moved too, which is a shame.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Manchester
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?