NHS
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

NHS Employee Reviews in Newcastle upon Tyne

Newcastle upon Tyne112 reviews

Found 112 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,850 reviews

Lovely place and lovely people - don’t pay enough.

I love this job, the people you get to meet and work with are amazing at what they do, the money for the skills you learn and develop in do not project … once you get an ‘upskill’ to a more challenging job it also moves you up a band … however there is a waiting list to get your pay rise and people wait a long time. Which I think is terrible if you are doing a job that pays a band 3 yet you are being paid a band 2 because of the nhs funding.

Stressful work place

You'll find it hard trying to get a day off but as expected the nhs is struggling don't think you get paid enough for what you deal with people on a salary are usually over worked and don't get any credit for it

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

culture of cliques intimidating

Not all parts of NHS Work in the same way, it’s down to management how each dept is ran which creates a clique culture. I loved working there at first. But if you get intimidated bullied it’s easier for some management to turn a blind eye, to pretend as if they support you , but as management control themselves within each dept, even HR choose to not get involved allowing them to sort their own in house issues . In my opinion/experience issues are never dealt with . It’s easier for management to ignore rather deal with or escalate a problem. I left due to this unhealthy culture which towards the end caused depression with no support. If you are lucky enough to work for a dept with good manager then it’s not all that bad..

Great Team

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Mass Vaccination Team. Everyone pulled together. The work life balance was good and there was the satisfaction of doing an amazing job.

Hard work but rewarding

Hard work but rewarding, senior management need to engage and listen more to staff. Shift pattern not great 12 hours to long with insufficient breaks.

It's a job.

Consworking unsociable hours for long periods of time, poor management, lots of bullying tactics from management.ProsGood wageWage enhancementsFlexible

Awful place to work

They tell you in interview you'll be doing one job then put you on something totally different. Constantly watched to make sure you are taking as many calls as possible with little to no understanding of what it is your actually supposed to be advising.Pay is really low and not worth the stressPros: working from HomeCons: low wages, constantly under review to meet call targets, the training doesn't give you enough knowledge to know what tYour talking about, managers only care about targets being met not the actual employee

An employer where you can make a difference

A great place to work where you truly feel like what you do every day makes a difference to the community that you live and work in. I couldn't be more proud to work for an arms length body of the NHS, that has received awards and recognition - as voted by its employees - as a fantastic place to work. Everyone is very supportive (including the senior leadership team), takes time to listen and works towards shared goals and values.

Pros

Friendly and supportive working environment

Cons

None so far

Pension is good

you have to stay regularly for longer than needed, for huge workload and less pay..You will be expected to work for two person's work with less pay compared to market.

Long hours and poor pay

Work here if you need too and that's the whole story, nothing like the TV or government would have you belive full of backstabbers and lazy people. Its a sad environment.

Stressful... I've never worked somewhere so repressive!

Off the bat let me just say that a load of the staff here are great. Focused on their job and do a good one with the meagre resources they are sometimes forced to work with. Having worked on several medical wards here I feel that following covid - a lot of staff (especially the nursing staff) are so burnt out they have no desire to actually do the job any more. Constant remarks of leaving, or looking for alternate work due to lack of staff, insane workloads and faulty equipment etc. Have worked shifts on certain wards where there would be so few staff or filled with bank staff who don't know the role at all, which meant that providing even the basics of care for your patients was sometimes ludicrously hard. The computer system they use is really quite archaic. It's often slow, or outright broken, and feels like every aspect of it is a tack on measure - to save cost? Maybe... but it doesn't feel like a purpose built system for this trust and often it takes an age just to record something which could be done in 2 seconds with pen/paper (not environmentally friendly - granted, but why oh why did this trust not go to using ipads/tablets like basically everyother trust?!)You can't park near to the hospital as they have a permit system, and if you use on street parking it can cost upwards of £13 a day! I've heard first hand this is a reason some people have refused to work here.Overall I've never felt pressure like working here. Most of the staff are fantastic and do their jobs to the best of their ability - and it shows, in how tired they are.

This is this the best hospital trust that I have worked in.

My team are a good laugh and the day goes by quickly due to the busy caseload.I think this trust is great for many reasons but here is a couple:It sounds like a small thing, but compared to other trusts that I have worked in, things get fixed quickly; from a faulty computer to a dent in the wall. I just think it shows an intent to find solutions at every level.The management are very visible and very approachable. It's nice to know that if you have any problems, the people that you need to speak to are easily at hand.

Pros

This is an excellent workplace to dish out some patient centred care.

Cons

They don't have enough staff car parking spaces, so the criteria to get a car park pass is ridiculous.

Fantastic place to work

Loved it here would defo continue to work here it's a great place to work don't hesitate to apply upu will not be disappointed great rates of pat good contract

Good place to work but salary way too low

The job itself is good, fairly easy and working alongside nice colleagues. Can have a good time whilst also working. Shift work is not ideal though and always pressuring to do overtime. I signed up to work in exchange for pay & benefits, not to work every living minute. Salary is shockingly low, very unfair pay and they make it hard to progress to a better salary.

Pros

Nice work colleagues

Cons

Low pay

Sensitive, productive, fun experience.

I really enjoyed working at sitel, there have many be benefits such as pay is normally paid on time which is really good! I have also developed many of my communication skills as well as technology skills too as I have been working from home. It’s been a very sensitive and exciting job as you get to talk to many people, and hear many different experiences and give the best possible advice as well as helping them with there questions! All the people around me were very lovely and managers and admins were very good and effective. It is quite flexible as I able to swap shifts with other people in my campaign, which is lovely. We also get paid holidays, so there isn’t much to complain about. Lovely company and a lovely team!

Pros

Amazing team!

Cons

Nothing bad to say!

Repetitive and not a lot of support from management

Typical call centre work. Very repetitive and boring most of the time. Some call streams are really easy to be trained in and others are very difficult and stressful. I would sometimes spend my breaks in the toilets crying because of how stressful I was finding one particular callstream. Went to my manager for some support and received none. He basically didn’t care. I didn’t feel like anyone really cared about me there I was just another number. Glad I don’t work there anymore it ruined my mental health.

Pros

Good Hours, pretty easy to book holidays

Cons

Repetitive and not great management

Good

I am a Volunteer so i don’t get paid but the management are lovely and understand you when you are unable to come in, they try to be welcoming as possible and are quite nice in terms of the jobs they assign you

Pros

Good work environment

Cons

Too slow paced sometimes

Nhs is a great place to work

I have worked for the nhs for 17 years and have enjoyed working for them there’s always going to be ups and downs in this area of work it’s mostly fast paced I am a line manager for phlebotomy and this is a very busy job the pay is not great this doesn’t increase with inflation but people manage by doing overtime to make up the extra and weekend working doesn’t suit all overall I love working for the nhs

Pros

Some benefits

Cons

Weekend working....shift patterns change every month

Fast paced.

Very Fast paced. Very Busy Patient orientated Thorough in completion of all tasks associated with relevant post Training is thorough Opportunities are aplenty

honest people. respect and dignity is all there is.

I have had wonderful experiences working for the NHS England. the rule of the law and respect are two important features of this health organisation and the success it enjoys universally.

Enjoyable assignment on a well run programme

Worked as an IT Contractor at their Head Office. The programme I was on was well run, which enabled me to produce my best work. The other staff and contractors were friendly and I greatly enjoyed my assignment there.

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Not enough parking on site to accommodate everyone.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?