NHS

Plymouth20 reviews

Found 20 reviews matching the searchSee all 8,016 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

rewarding job role

very rewarding work, use people skills. daily tasks very rewarding. can be hard work but mostly very enjoyable place to work. Work load is vast but is shared between a support team.

Pros

People skills

Nhs

Staff are so stressed and over worked. The answer in there is too create another level of management to ‘manage’ but what you really need is the correct amount of staff and the right equipment. Staff are so hard working and gives so much.

Pros

Non

Cons

Loads

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,890 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Lighthouse Laboratory

Great senior leadership, offer a lot of support to employees. Good working culture and have lots of opportunities for existing staff to progress internally

Pros

Encourage staff feedback, good communications

Cons

Long shifts

Fast-paced but relaxed workspace.

The job involved coming in either in the morning or the evening and working a 12 hour shift within the lab. The experience is great and you learn how to properly dress up in PPE as well as proper and safe Lab practice. All the staff around are willing to help and seem very enthusiastic to learn and progress and I have found that it provides an excellent means of self progression. The hardest part of the job was wearing PPE in a pressurised room for so many hours, the long hours and four day blocks also meant that I had very little time to myself in between shifts that was not spent resting. The best part of the job was the environment, the work is not challenging but not monotonous enough to feel boring, and the fast-paced nature meant that the time went by quickly.

Pros

The blocks work as four days on and four days off which is a good amount of time off, The breaks involved two paid 15 minute breaks and an unpaid 45 minute lunch

Cons

Long hours, every shift is 12 hours and you work for four straight days, 12 hour Night shifts meant that my body clock was all over the place, greatly affected my sleeping and eating patterns until I became used to it

Always short staff

Always short staff,no support from anyone,basically you’re on your own in a over-worked environment and nobody cares. The only plus is the money and the occasional nice patients/staff .

Pros

Money

Cons

Everything else

Stressful long hours . very bad pay.

No wonder it's called a vocational job, don't go into the NHS if you are looking for lots of money. I am band 3 HCA earning just about 20000 per year. Minimum 10 hour shifts and you are expected to cover short falls in staff and stay at the end of your shift as it is always busy.

Pros

Lots of leave but you need it.

Cons

Long hours rubbish pay

Awful treatment

Too many managers, not enough workers. Unfair and constantly pressure their staff. The nurses are left understaffed putting patients at risk. It is sink or swim, most nurses leave emotionally exhausted, unable to go toilet or get a break through a 12 hour shift. Medications go missing, patients are unsafe. An absolute shambles.

Pros

Cons

Pushed to your limits with no thanks

Great institution to work for

The NHS is the best company I have ever worked for.Support from management, good sense of belonging. Team work was always good.Good work/life balance.

Productive but at times flat

The NHS is a great place to work. There are many job roles that once in the nhs you can go for. The hours are reasonable and people very friendly. The only downside is the salary isn't fantastic and lack of parking for staff makes travelling awkward.

Pros

Great working hours

Cons

Salary and parking

good old nhs

load of jobs good opportunities not so good on pay but lots of challenges and laughs along the way good if you want variety and a job for life as there are always sick people

Great employer

Great employer. Staff focused and as long as you are a hard worker you will go far. Occ health support . Friendly and dynamic. Has lots of on site stores now where as years ago it didn’t.

Pros

Everything above

Cons

Paying to park to go to work

Good job, poor management.

Overall it's a great place to work. Unfortunately for me it was ruined by a few people who joined and seemed to turn the atmosphere a bit sour. So many restraints on management methods that their hands were tied to the point where they actually felt useless as they weren't able to deal with problems appropriately. Shame as the job itself wasn't that bad, pay was adequate and job security was very good.

Pros

Security, paid holidays

Admin Assistant

0800 - 1600 Did not learn anything. I was suffering from a stroke and I was working to try and remove it. I really enjoyed the time I had with the people I worked with.

Avoid! Nepotism and bad management

Avoid catering and hotel services. Managers out of their depth and resort to hiring family members who get away with bad behaviour and favouritism constantly while hard workers get treated appallingly and basically told put up with it or leave as our hands are tied due to managers family members come first. Nepotism at its finest and staff morale very low hence very high turnover of staff within catering sites under Livewell southwest.

Pros

Cons

Bad management, low staff morale and nepotism

Good Place to work, No Progression

A really fun and good steady job with the rewarding factor of being able to help those in need. Although with the NHS things take so long to get done. I.e. Internal decisions which is very frustrating. As a technician there is very little to no progression.

Pros

Solid Steady Hours

Cons

No Progression

Productive fun place very friendly staff

As a volunteer for the NHS I would love to become part of the NHS team whether it's working for the NHS or the serco team being there for 4 months I have settled in very well

Pros

Friendly staff

Informative

Working within a team was very enjoyable and I gained a lot of confidence by volunteering in this position. This position was voluntary along side my college course

Pros

Informative

Cons

Main Outpatients is a very busy department with excellent colleagues

On arrival at work the first thing is to log on to your work station, in readiness to commence the day. Ensure that all notes trollies are complete and all have their clinic lists. Trollies are then taken to the correct Consulting room ready for the clinic to start. A normal day can consist of approx.15-20 clinics for both morning and afternoon, amounting to approx. 450-500 patients per day. There are 2 areas of work, being front desk(reception) and back desk. Front desk will meet and greet patients, who can also self check in if they so wish, and ensure they are directed to the correct waiting area. Upon completion of their consultation we will receive their outcome form given to us by the patient, and will take the necessary action. Most will be added to a waitlist for their next appointment, but if their next visit is required within 6 weeks, then an appointment will have to be made. Back desk duties include dealing with all telephone enquiries, hospital note tracing and all other queries that occur during the day. Good team work is essential in this department, and each team member must be able to multi-task.

Pros

Excellent team

Cons

Very busy days.

Organisation was disbanded as part of a governmental restructure of the NHS

Organisation was disbanded as part of a governmental restructure of the NHS. Most employee were transferred to NEW Devon CCG.

Bad culture

over worked under paid. long hours bad management . no support, to many chiefs and not enough indians. putting patients and staff at risk.

Pros

Loverly co-workers

Cons

Nursing staff over worked

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Plymouth
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?