NHS

NHS Reviews in Rotherham

Rotherham21 reviews

Found 21 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,841 reviews

Flexible, stressful, and isolating

The best part of the job is the hours, you can be flexible and sometimes change your shift very late notice for emergencies, the hours are 24/7, so you may be working graveyard shifts.Due to the staff turnover, job security is good, and there are plenty of opportunities for overtime. The job can be very stressful, the training is advertised as a 10 week course, when in reality it is 2 weeks in a classroom and the rest is partially supervised call taking. You are taught how to navigate through a pathway system, and taught what to do in life threatening situations such as cardiac arrests (rare but do happen). Even though the job requires no medical training, you are expected to have some form of medical knowledge.Because of this, the pressure of the job is very high, you are usually working outside of your limits.Management seem to be oblivious as to what is happening on the floor, e.g asking why average call handling time has gone up, but not taking into account the lack of staff, so for example calling a team leader for advice, it can take 3 mins to get through, which doesn’t seem much, but adds up.Clinicians can sometimes be very rude when consulting for advice, you are expected to have medical knowledge.There is a lack of support for difficult calls, you are given laminated cards to hold up in an emergency, which results in a senior member of staff helping you, there have been many times when staff hold up the cards and senior members of staff stare, as if they are from another planet. After a call you are told to take 5 minutes and get a cuppa - not always appropriate. -

Awful

Over worked, unappreciated. Money rubbish for the amount of work expected from you. Worked on staff residence was vile. So dirty, Worked out backsides off to get clean & tidy to a very high standard to be met with same dirt & grime days later. Cut off from hospital staff, They do not care about the staff up there. I enjoyed cleaning but not worth the tiring hard work as it doesn't get recognised.

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,212 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

I abs love being part of #teamrdash it's the best job I've ever had & the majority of the staff are fantastic 🤩

Fantastic place of work ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Wonderful Staff ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Lots of opportunities to progress, go permanent, learn on the job. Hrs are very flexible, work tht fits round life, plenty of it. Bank workers treat equally & the same as permanent staff. You really feel you're making a difference to people's lives.

Pros

Work tht fits round life, as opposed to life tht fits round work, I love it 🥰

Cons

Very happy with my first job in UK

As a newly qualified nurse in a new system, I couldn't find my way better than I've did at The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust.Good starting point and afterwards carrier progression.

Pros

Wonderful members

Cons

Car park

Not suitable for those of a sensitive disposition

Although the role is high pressured and often presented with difficult situations, it comes with great job satisfaction and stabilityThere are some calls come through that are obvious emergencies or obvious that a Dr is required, there are also some complex and some that are obvious can be self-cared. This keeps the job interesting and variedClinical help is always available to help when needed and always on site for guidance

Pros

Job satisfaction, clinical support, varied complexity, short shifts

Cons

Unsocial hours

Ok place to work - reasonable money and intensive training period

Long training period, with supportive trainers. Very unsociable hours with reasonable pay (definitely needs increasing for the job you’re doing) and more support needed for difficult calls

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

No support

Varied days with staff and patients

It became more management than than staff on the ground. To get patients in and out as soon as possible. I preferred to make sure the patient was the center of my care. Working times made this very difficult.

Didn't want to leave but the hours were awkward and traveling time

Would love to go back to work for YAS but no vacancies in what i want . It was a long way to travel for 3 hours a day I wish i would have stayed and gave the job longer it could have lead to something else in NHS maybe. Big regret my fault really same as i say would love to go back .

My work place

I am hard working as I have held 2 jobs for the last 5 years ... I clean with in the nhs to a high standard .. I enjoy chatting with patients. Every day is something different and I love my job and feel as tho am giving something back to the community. I am looking for a job in one place.

Ok room for improvement

Job culture would depend on which dept you work in, some great, some not, constantly reorganising/restructuring and relocating staff, which can be unsettling. You will work with some amazing people and make many friends but there are always a few bad apples and some managers who can't manage so resort to bullying. Having said that I would return in a heartbeat, work life balance was fab and some amazing staff support for if you need it, as any job there will be work pressures but all in all a really nice place to work, and incase you're wondering, I was made redundant along with 40 colleagues when our service was outsourced to capita and moved to a different part of the country, most of us had over 20 years service so was very upsetting

Pros

Free parking, but not at all sites

Cons

Constantly reorganising to improve services, but usually would have been better left as it was

Unsure

The work place environment can be very mixed, for example on a busy day people tend to be on edge due to the constant struggle to not breach patient time

not bad

not well enough paid for the commitment put in and accountability. Could save itself lots of money in procurement and spend more on doctors and nurses than management. The benefits of working for the NHS are that the pension remains quite good and holiday entitlement is good. there is also support for GAP years and parents if the management is agreeable.

Pros

pensions holidays

Cons

low pay for level of responsibility

lspec to progress

Different challenges every day .work along side experienced inderviduals .the chance of all aspects of training documentation .shown is difrant on every ward you work on.family wards dementia wards all kinds so it's a wonderful way to build a career in care .I've also completed a 15 standerd care certificate with the trust

Pros

free uniform

Hardest part of the job

You have to deal with never ending cut backs, and some times difficult angry patients. The Doctors sometimes take money from the pot before giving services to the patients

Pros

Work life balance is very good

Cons

Money wages is not so hot at the lower end of the pay scale

friendly

always same no change , difficult if any home problems helping patients was a plus helping other NHS staff with laboratory problems ie patients results dealing with deliveries for internal and external post ans parcels

Pros

work colleagues

Cons

9 to 5

professional organisation

Enjoyed my time with the NHS. The diversity of employment was one of the main factors to accepting the post. Challenging working with consultants who were busy with patients and would only meet to discuss issues when they were available

Interesting Workplace

The NHS is an evergrowing and fast developing setting with interesting people both employees and customers/patients, it was a fun department in Finance due to the team members.

outpatients/ eye clinic

In 1 day of my everyday working day, i attend clinic that may see in excess of 100 patients in a session of 4 hours, accompaning patients to there consultations, guiding the patient through there treatment & treatment plans, alot of patients may need extra guidence during ther stay due to poor vision in which i would be & take care of during there time with us. During the patients stay consultants may want to perform a procedure or test in which i would perform, the most i enjoy about my job is meeting new people & people of different beliefs & religion, i work in a team of 12 & co work with numerous different department such as our lucentic team, VR team, ENT & maxifacial department, the downside to my job in giving people bad news or informing a patient of news that my be life changing to that indivual.

great money but not much to do

Working for the nhs was ok, money was really good but to be honest staff in job role were over paid. spent most of the day trying to keep myself busy with things to do. management was poor.

Pros

money and flexibility

Cons

bad management

Good workplace to be in.

It was a great place to work in and because I knew the elderly lady on a personal basis as well as professional she made it a very nice experience. The work wasn't hard, but it gave me life lessons I can use on my own life. It was nice to see her getting the help she needed and I know she was very grateful for that.

Pros

Safe and nice working enviroment

nhs

Ok to work for,enjoy job on daily basis. Busy ward learnt alot about illnesses and common presenting conditionsa

Cons

long hours no breaks if busy

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement