NHS

NHS Employee Reviews in Wakefield

Wakefield79 reviews

Found 79 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,917 reviews

Work as a team

Friendly supportive team. Training very good. No night shifts in my current role. Lots of training and update courses provided for all the staff. Enjoy my role.

Pros

Hours, colleagues and patients

Could be better

The workplace wasn’t too bad, however, if your face fits you’ll get favouritism over the other people who work twice as hard. There is no problem solving either. If someone has an issue with you the managers just tell you to keep away from each other. There’s hardly any recognition either.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

You’re expected to work 3 weekends of out 4

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Love my team

A breath of fresh air after working for a private firm!I have an extremely supportive manager and wonderful team!The role is varied and you are paid for the hours you work which is fair but also completely different from the private sector who want you to give a lot of extra time, unpaid and unsociable hours at times!Good work life balance at YAS

Pros

Paid for hours worked Good team and team leader.

Cons

Not anywhere to progress without applying for a new role

No pressure

Working for the NSH as a cleaning operative is ok, theres no pressure and no taking your work home which is what suits me.Most hours are done around family and they try and promote a good work life balance. Wages aren't too bad, good annual leave and sick pay.I work off site so have little to do with the management team this can lead to poor communication.

Pros

No pressure

Cons

Poor communication

Stressful but can be rewarding

Fast paced call taking, can be rewarding when you feel you have genuinely helped someone. The job can be stressful, especially when it feels like management are breathing down your neck. If your face fits you can do what you want but if it doesn't they're on you all the time.

No support. No training on electronic medication system

Patients are not at the centre of what you do as they should be. Tick box exercises for audits are the most important factor. Patients left over a hour waiting for analgesia. Poor training and support from management. Dementia patients moved rooms multiple times in a week.

I have found the staff very helpful and supportive.

The support is always there if you need it. The team are very friendly. The outlook for progressing is really good too. The pay is ok and the life work balance is good.

Supportive team. Everyone wants you to do well and there’s plenty of support available.

Fast-paced job with a stringent application and training process to ensure quality employees. Really supportive environment, very friendly and passionate management. More suitable to those who drive.

Pros

Supportive team.

Cons

Long hours, unsociable hours that might not work for those with children and/or those who don’t drive.

Sounded good before actually working the job. Competitive and no progression.

No progression, stress and a lot of staff talk about one another behind their backs. Management is overall poor and things do not get done. Pay is way too low for responsibilities. Job description does not match the actual work.

Pros

Easy to get annual leave.

Cons

No appreciation Low pay No progression

Shambles

I came to mid York’s from another trust and the difference was noticeable. The seniors I experienced were dragged in, not trained up or born leaders. I was not supported at all and I couldn’t wait to leave

Worthy job

Fast paced but worthy post, On the face of it they really care about you, I’ve found management good, Very accommodating re flexible working, Team Leaders can be brilliant , Clinicians can be so helpful

Pros

Flexible Good on the floor management

Cons

Poor pay for what we do, turnover of staff is horrendous, Some very silly people work there, if I hear about one more problem with s**t on the floor of a WC I will scream, Come on people grow up, 999 belittle 111

If your face fits you’ll move up the ranks pretty quick!

Been here two years. Applied for four different promotions yet not had a chance for one interview yet someone who doesn’t pull their weight, answers less then 25 calls a shift gets promoted after being there less than 1 year. If you are friends with a team leader then you are fit for life, they will change your shifts get you off calls and do everything they can!! Even change your shift to make sure you are not working Christmas Day yet us with children have to work!!! Disgraceful place to work. No help with anything especially sickness and if you are waiting a major operation you will still move up the sickness stages despite it all being due to this one major illness! Disgusting!! Get me out of here!!

Pros

Good wage lots of overtime

Cons

Long hours No support at all

Only if you're desperate or your face will fit

It's well paid and there's a lot of overtime but that's about it! It's very much comparable to the popularity hierarchy at schools, if you're mates with a team leader you can avoid taking calls, and you can ask them to fiddle your shifts - leaving the 4 am finishes to everyone else. You then have to deal with abuse from callers, having to bring a hot water bottle to work it gets that cold, and having no choice to eat at your desk on top of that. And not to mention you only get promoted if your face fits. We have raised these issues time and time again and they never stop.

Pros

Occasional free food and drinks, lots of overtime for the people who want to do it, they're good when you ring in sick

Cons

Working 3 out of 4 weekends and 6 out of 8 bank holidays, starting your shift anywhere between 6 am and 10 pm, you can't get into a routine because your shifts are all over the place, I'm sure it's barely legal for people to be working in the temperature it gets to, and of course the face fit culture.

Awful

I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone. No support for mental health / support in general whatsoever. Everyone talks about everyone behind their back. Not a nice place. Adults? More like children.

Pros

N/a

Stressful with no support

The culture is one of “if your face fits”. People are not chosen on if they are suited abs or qualified for a role but rather on a we want this person no matter what. People get messed about, no decisions are made, people are put on secondment and not notified of extensions or changes.

Pros

Working with some staff

Cons

Long hours, management

Yas

If you know the right people at this place, then you'll move up the ranks however your hard work goes unnoticed and you will not be supported if you have any issues regarding personal/mental/work life which is ridiculous especially considering how stressful and fast-paced this job is.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Long hours, Bad Management, Poor work ethics

Stressful

If not a lot of staff then it makes your job very stressful as you have to do a lot more work. Some of the staff aren’t very nice and tell you what to do instead of asking or suggesting. Sometimes not a safe place to work if the staff aren’t doing their jobs properly.

Pros

Patients thinking the world of you

Cons

Too many days. No home life. One weekend off every few weeks.

Depends very much on the role

Working in the NHS is generally stressful, often with a poor work / life balance. However, this does depend very much on the role the employee and the manager.For anyobe who is genuinely caring and compassionate (these are not qualities that ca be learned) and is willing to work hard, often with the need to put work as the priority and a willingness to learn, progress and develop, the NHS is not a bad place to work.However, for anyone with anything other than a committed work ethic, it may not be the best place to be. Remember that in the NHS you are working with real people in real time and your input can be either hugely beneficial and rewarding or devastating for any person you may have to deal with.

Pros

It is what you make it.

Cons

Not always a good work / life balance

A rewarding role, but very underpaid

For this role, you need no soul, you work long hours and the pay is shocking. You get abused over the telephone, and nothing ever get done about it. Unlike the rest of the NHS, 111 do t seem to be included on the no abuse policy.The management is very poor, you are put under pressure to take as management calls as possible, and as quick as possible. There is no support when the health advisors after taking a challenging call... I.e. a CPR call, you raise a card and it can take a Team Leader a long time to come and help you, ifYou are lucky.The environment is very toxic, very clicky .. and everyone seems to be sleeping with each other, including have a quicky in the disabled toilet.. this happens a far too often...The service receive a large % of calls that should be sent to 999, but 111 have to be able to give life saving advice.The training is very intense, they are trying to teach you to be a clinician, but with the qualifications or pay. The clinical team leaders speak to like something your stood in, and they complain when you are asking a medical question, they most of them saying you should know this... emmm no, I’m not a nurse.. YOU ARE!

Pros

Cons

Poor pay, undervalued

Terrible place to work

Poor communication between departments. Training is poor and there is a distinct lack of support from management and if you say anything you seem to get the standard 'well maybe this job isn't for you' response. I am a very experienced nurse and the clinical decision making didn't bother me. What did bother me was that I was off for 2 weeks with covid, which I caught from there and I wasn't given any extra time to catch up in my training. I literally got signed off and 2 days later was expected to take live calls and when I questioned it, the manager wouldn't change it. This concerned me because in the signing off worksheet it specifically said that after you had been signed off that you had to have a trainer sat directly in front of you for a minimum of 2 and a half days (which I didn't get at all) and then some consolidation supervised practice afterwards as well, before taking live calls. But I didn't get any of this and all because there were no trainers at our base the following week!!! Poor management. Badly organised and payroll always get people's wages wrong. Would not recommend at all if you value your PIN.

Great organisation

Great team, great culture, great location. Salary above average for role and benefits included medical and car allowance. The facilities could do with improving at the Wakefield site.

Pros

Health care

Cons

Poor facilities

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Wakefield
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?