NHS

NHS Reviews in York

York22 reviews

Found 22 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,841 reviews

Radiographer

Worked here 22 years. Secure employment, decent pension, good annual leave days. Overtime a constant, always available due to being understaffed consistantly

Cons

Stressful, frustrating

Nhs

Very secure but too much bureaucracy. Even basic change has to go through numerous levels of approval and takes a long time. But the team and culture is generally good.

Pros

Secure. Good team.

Cons

Not much room to progress. Change is slow.

Insights into NHS

Based on 1,214 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

poor pay ,unorganised ,management lie to employees, make false promises and are out of their depth in what they do .keep away from NHS PROPERTY SERVICES, its a complete shambles .

Pros

holidays

Cons

unorganised, poor pay, poor management

Chaotic and mismanaged!

Chaotic, messy and unorganised. Weekly rotas so you can't plan ahead in the future as you won't know your shifts beyond a week. Too many people for 1 job, but using different job titles. Holidays aren't approved for months.

Pros

Training and development opportunities

Cons

Too many people for 1 position, unorganised, hectic, no work life balance, higher staff talk down to you. Your band pay is your status, band 5+ good, anything below band 5, you are overlooked.

Working with likeminded people.

If you can put aside the politics involved, this is the most rewarding, self motivating position to be in. Working alongside people with the same goals and aspirations, always willing to help and encourage. There are stressful times, the hours can be long, but the job satisfaction is amazing.

Pros

It’s a career not a job.

Cons

Overall good people to work along side

I enjoy my work and the flexibility of my job I work in all areas of the hospital and find the staff helpful and friendly, I feel I am giving something back to the team who work tirelessly with devotion , my management team are very helpful and supportive I have found that being the new man in my team it is very difficult to break through with my work colleague I think more flexibility in the way we are integrated is required to over come , peoples prejudices, this has been a problem for the last 12 months but I just do mt job 🙃

Pros

Good working conditions

Workplace

I work in York hospital. Nice place , nice team . I work weekends shifts. I meet new people every day and every day was something new to do.

Great place to work at!

Good atmosphere and welcoming department in general. Job itself is fast paced at times and management always provide support. Pay is fair considering the opportunity for overtime. Hardest part of the job--- shift times aren't suitable for everyone. Most enjoyable part of the job--- the people and the job itself.

Good benefits but don't feel supported

More work put on you without extra support but the benefits of the job are good. 29 days A/L plus bank holidays and good pay as a pharmacy technician but not always worth it for the stress. I think there is a quite a lot of bullying going on and people get treated differently here. People get away with a lot too, it doesn't;t ever seem fair.

good

good team work and first aid skills learned. great management and team afre all very friendly to work with great service with great people working for it

fun work place

I work twelve hour shifts, working in a crisis team every day is different which I enjoy. My management team are very supportive and fair, the most enjoyable part of my job is doing the home base treatment.

Communication

poor communication between managers/team leaders and workers, other nhs staff members are grumpy to domestics ( not all of them) team leaders expecting us to do more work in our contracted hours than we should

Poor Managers

Really supportive and good line manager. Senor management was poor and lacked key knowledge of information governance. I learnt a lot about dealing with management.

Demanding but enjoyable

Loads of work to do and too little time but very rewarding. Great people to work with and a good culture. Gained significant insights into patient perspectives.

Pathology

High pressure environment,stressful interesting and rewarding. The pathological nature of disease and infection. Time management an essential part of the process and training. A friendly environment that encourages leaning and development. High pressure and stress can be somewhat exhausting,. The people you meet.

Pros

Flexible hours in some departments

Cons

long hours in other

MLA easy job, horrible atmosphere

I worked as an MLA at York and (being a qualified chemist) was discusted by the patronising management which were puppets to bullies in the department. Being from private industry I find the sick note culture appalling. Look for a poorly paid easy job with 'no questions asked' loads of time off sick and an unsackable status and no real prospects? Then welcome to the NHS. I love and believe in the NHS which is why my my experience disappointed me so much.

Pros

Easy. Staff benefits. Job security

Cons

Poor pay. Attitude of staff soul destroying

good employer

An employer that respects staff and encouraged a good working environment . Willing to engage staff in decision making .

productive

it was good place to work, I enjoyed the organisition and routine. the staff were nice . it was a very simple job and I liked it

Pros

benifits

Cons

short hours

committed team working

I really enjoyed my work , no two days were the same and taking up to 9 new patient deferrals, a day and ensuring they all got the care they needed was great job satisfaction. I worked very closely with a hospice and Macmillan and District nurses , ensuring a good bond was made with them, they knew, after just one phone call I would do all in my power to ensure the patient needs were meet.The hardest times was when the patient passed away without our help. I had a very good relationship with all my work colleagues.

Pros

fitted in with my home life well

Cons

lots of sickness by managers

busy and lots of opportunity to learn

nice place to train but very stressful at all times. no choice from the point of view of training

Pros

essential for training

Cons

too much work and too much stress and also badly paid

Good place to work but needed to progress to clinical role

In my role as Records Services Operative I was responsible for all aspects of prepping, filing, delivering and retrieving casenotes both from locations around York Hospital and from the offsite casenote store. When working onsite at York Hospital my duties included; delivering casenotes to A&E in the instance of an emergency resuscitation; delivering patient casenotes to the wards when patients are admitted; I also had to retrieve any notes that were being kept in locations around the hospital, both for patient admissions and for upcoming clinics. When working offsite, at the casenote library I would deal with requests both over the telephone and by email for casenotes; I prepped notes for clinics held at York Hospital; and I also had to ensure that the notes were in a suitable condition to go to clinic, repairing or re-jacketing and damaged notes. As with all roles of this nature it was an essential part of my job to adhere to confidentiality policies and procedures to ensure that patient confidentiality is maintained.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement