NHS

Care Assistant39 reviews
United Kingdom39 reviews

Found 39 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,930 reviews

Negative attitude

If there is a management workplace that try to squeeze the juice out of you and stamp on you, then there is no better place than the NHS. Don't get me wrong, some places in the NHS are wonderful and some people are extraordinary to work with, but most departments are just awful. For the pay that you are given, they treat you personally lesser that a dog. In order to have a satisfactory day at work, better be away and out.

You have to be willing to work and put in the extra effort, the pay is good and the management are well organised. It was a lovely experience for me and i will recommend people to apply for the job.

Insights into NHS

• Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks

Busy but the good kind

It’s not for the light hearted! But met some lovely people and rewarding job! Enjoyed it! Was very full on and all hands on deck. Understaffed at times, but the helping others is definitely worth it!

Pros

Lunch discount

Cons

Long days

Communication

Good support from colleagues but difficulty with important information getting filtered down to staff below the top of the hierarchy. Better communication needed

Sense of community

NHS pays terribly for the amount of manual labour that goes into looking after patients, but the teams as a whole are all strong and make you feel welcome most of the time

A great place to work

A great place to work. A job which feels secure, where everyone is happy to be. The whole company feels like a large family team network where everyone is there for everyone.

Pros

Security

Cons

No cons

Busy and rewarding

I enjoy my role as a health care assistant because I love what I do and love learning more about it….Sometimes it has its ups and downs and can be very stressful throughout your day/role. I have only been with the company for 5months and the nurses/sister have been good to me, in those months gone by, I have also reported any concerns about a as my patients/staff. I also had a dispute with a banking nurse and reported her and manager the manager helped me, not to return back on the ward again. I have also trained new members of colleagues starting with the company.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Long hours 12hrs a day

So much depends on which trust you work for

Management in the ambulance service are ineffective at best.Great job satisfaction but terrible Management.Salary is poor for what you have to put up with.Any promotion is based on who you know and not your performance or knowledge

Good

was lucky enough to work for well and got the job not knowing anything about working in a pharmacy. They taught me all I needed to know and put me through my NVQ 2. The team I worked with were accommodating, and was always happy to help, my manager ran a tight ship but was always fair and this helped to make a good team.Was this review helpful?

Low wages

Overworked for extremely low per hour rates, hard to get career progression, lot of promises and not a lot of making those promises a reality. Everyone is being quiet when they supposed to speak up and are trying to keep their positions secure.

Pros

Working hours

Cons

Low wages

Hard work good company fair pay

Worked here for years had good job security. Long hours really hard hours at times. Management was unapproachable but nothing too much to complain about.Some people got perfect rota’s whilst others got hard shifts back to back. So if face fits or you complain enough to get what you want I guess.

Pros

Job security/ good pay

Cons

Long hard hours

Lack of support to progress.

Lack of support to progress. Management are disjointed from reality. Individuals are not supported fully. Ambition is suppressed. Colleagues are the highlight of the job along with patients.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Management and lack of progression.

Hard work but interesting

Great staff and support network learning new things all the time. Support from management is excellent and good back up. Can always refuse a task if unsure of it.

Pros

Support when off sick.

Cons

Horrible, horrible, horrible .......

For an organisation that is supposed to care for people, it does not care about its staff. Avoid at all costs if you do have any underlying health conditions.Also, witnessed a lot of casual racism from the conversations by staff whilst on station.

Pros

None spring to mind

Cons

Poor management

Excellent

YAS is everything a NHS trust should be, excellent staff, excellent opportunity, everything about it is excellent. From the moment you get offered a interview to the moment you accept your job offer it’s faultless. When working for YAS it’s brilliant, no days are ever the same, no job is repetitive, it’s like working for 1 big family; at the end of the day that’s what we are.

Pros

Cons

Long hours but that what you sign up for

Don’t bother

They ask so much of you and what you do is never good enough. You have to sign for everything you do because apparently no one can be trusted to do anything. Ward managers and matrons have their favourite staff who can get away with anything there are clicks on every ward and if you are not in the click you get bullied or have staff whispering behind your back. You can tell your ward manager something privately that is to be kept to themselves and still somehow ends up as gossip. You will be set to do 3 nightshifts have a day off but in fact you sleep it and will be back the next day for a late shift or even a long day. You can do a 13 hour shift without a break because staffing is so bad and you are told to get on with it by the end of the shift you are burnt out and all you want to do is cry.

Pros

Helping the patients and getting thanks from them.

Cons

Bulling, management and shift pattern

Good company

Most enjoyable part of the job is the patients you help, work colleagues are very supportive. I would recommend as a good employer, The job can be frustrating

worst manager I have ever worked for

worked here for a few years. Used to be a great job, until the new manager took over about a year ago. TOXIC is not the word!! Manager has no people skills at all, rude, ignorant, a bully and doesn't even listen! Managers working alongside are just rude puppets. Always having to take lunch late into the shift. Controllers bully you into taking work past your finish time. HR are totally unsupportive.

This is by far the most toxin environment to work in pts driver

Been at this job a couple of years now and it’s slowly got worse. Your treated like a dog at this place . Unrealistic work load on every shift and when you raise it with Controllers you will be bullied by them to do the jobs with the phrase (are you refusing to do the job) or just have the phone put down on you. We have the worst contract manager here by far rude is an understatement no experience in the role

Fast Paced

The pay was not enough for a back breaking job I.E carry chairs, transferring bed bound patients and patients with infection. Not even enough to get an morgage.

Rewarding and proud place to work!!!

Training is absolutely amazing, you gain so much knowledge and experience within such a short amount of time... the staff are brilliant! Everyone makes you feel welcome and like you’re part of one big family, no matter how long you’ve been in the trust. Very supportive managers and colleagues and a lot of career pathways which makes it manageable to work your way up to where you want to be! Couldn’t be happier working for YAS and never felt so proud to wear a uniform!

Pros

Support, friendliness, pathways to success

Cons

Fast-paced and demanding

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement