NHS

United Kingdom115 reviews

Found 115 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,942 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

Good

Work is fast paced but not over pressured. Manager is brilliant but nhs pay isn’t the best. Colleagues are generally nice and helpful, patients are lovely.

Pros

Good manager

Cons

Not the best pay

Best annual leave scheme, up to 33 days a yearPay is not very good but there are oportunities to advance.Management is very good but it depends which department you are working

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Great workplace!

I’ve worked a little in the private sector and working for the NHS imo has really good benefits, better than private for me. Excellent amount of holidays given each year, flexibility around childcare and working from home. Overall I feel very job secure working for the NHS.

Isn't the best job i've had

Started out as a clerical officer then eventually forced into a HCSW role due to lack of funding, was either that or end up with no job. Management is a joke and very cliquey. Colleague was told to their face "You aren't paid to use your initiative". Best thing about the job was the colleagues doing the same job as me, they were all lovely.

Few opportunities to advance your career - favouritism is rife.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy a fulfilling career with the NHS. However, if you're clerical rather than nursing or clinical, jobs are being downbanded by stealth, i.e. if a band 4 post becomes vacant, they'll replace it with a band 3. Therefore no opportunity to advance your career.

Pros

Good pension

Cons

If your face fits, you'll go far. If it doesn't, forget it.

Interesting and rewarding place to work.

There is never a dull moment in the NHS. But, unfortunately with out of date computer software and constant pressure you are paid very little for what you have to cope with. Colleagues are always welcoming and team work is paramount if you can afford to stay. They advertise that they are a flexible employer but due to the fact they have no money they can’t be as flexible as they need to keep staff.

Pros

Colleagues and job satisfaction.

Cons

Little pay for a lot of work expected.

Not the most interesting place to work in (Admin) but good colleagues.

This review is for working in the administrative half on NHS Highland in a low level role please ignore if your applying for medical jobs, or well any skilled job.While worked on the admin side, for the most part my colleagues where great and I would take them to my next place of work.Management while I for the most part didn’t have a problem with them personally, could be a little inconsistent and distant, one week the job would be fast paced and trying to get as much done as possible and the next week it the pace would be much slower with no external change in workload. As is not unusual, ideas from our side where normally ignored, it is possible they had better oversight, but it generally wasn’t responded to. If you view working as doing exactly what you are told to do even if it seems wrong, you won’t have a problem.In terms of actual work, I can’t be to specific (due to giving away what my department and job was) suffice to say the work was repetitive, boring and most likely becoming obsolete shortly due to the modernisation of it systems in NHS highland, but it paid well for what it was, particularly if you could get out of hours shifts.Overall, I may go back to the NHS in the future, but for the most part it’s not where my skillsets lie, I also feel I should say I did not leave because of anything negative I said in this review.

Pros

Good colleagues, Working for a organisation that dose have a hugely positive effects on people lives.

Cons

The NHS operates 247 most admin roles are 9-5 ish but not necessarily, and may have night and weekend work, if that’s your thing (nights aren’t mine)., Work in the lower level (Bands 1, 2, 3) jobs whilst necessary for supporting the infrastructure can be boring and repetitive., Do a few years then move on, its easy to get stuck.

Productive and busy

Generally friendly and helpful staff, busy environment.Much better than lanarkshire in terms of staff attitude. More hands on and helpful toward the public.

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

Bus journeys

Wouldn't recommend at all

Been here for 5 years or so, working with colleagues is really good but have to watch out as some can snitch over you when you say the smallest thing. Workload is absolutely terrible and the pay isn't worth what you do there. You're doing 2/3 people's jobs and pay is bad, when you wish to escalate matters as its too stressful, nothing gets done. There are people who are on band 3 that do less work than what I've done and the workload is very similar. You can kiss your sorry backside goodbye if you think you can progress in career there. Overall I wouldn't recommend working there at all due to poor management and pay isn't as good as what people make it out to be. They will look at one fault and make it into a big issue rather than the 99 good you did. No recognition whatsoever.

Pros

Colleagues helping out

Cons

Management, workload

Wages are poor for the amount of work expected. Wages & Management need a complete overhaul

Busy days juggling several jobs at once. I've learnt new systems. Management have no idea what your job entails. There is a 'bullying' culture in the NHS & Staff are not involved in decisions involving changes to your job.The hardest part of the job is dealing with management & the lack of communication. The best part is the job, people you work with & the patients.

Pros

Work Colleagues

Cons

Management & poor pay

Management awful

Job appears fantastic but advert very generic. Admin role varies hugely between departments and individual managers. Too many managers in hierarchy leads to slow results and too many hoops to jump through. Promotion based on if your face fits and who you know.

Pros

Cons

Everything about the Trust

Feeling valued

Management lacking in some areas. Lots of working in silos and a number of people with their own agenda although there are good people there, just not in management

Pros

Canteen discounts

Cons

Long hours and regular restructuring

A good company to work for

Can be stressful, but enjoyed my job. Could also be fun. I worked alone, and as a team. The workplace was diverse, with many different people and backgrounds.

fun workplace

enjoyed working for NHS, typical day at work was good. collegues made it enjoyable. learned a lot of inside skills and helped me to build myself as a person. management are very helpful in all aspects off the job

Average

It is a very big place and thousands of employees. Wage is average depending on length of service. Generous holiday allowance. Management not particularly supportive at tough times...

Terrible

It's a call centre and very stressful, no support is offered and the management only look after themselves they can't help much as they never do the job! Very clicky place the staff are always looking for jobs and the staff turnover is high.

Pros

Cons

Shift patterns, no support, worked beyond your limits

Colleagues are very friendly.

Management leave a lot to be desired. Too many layers of management who all seem to be wandering about not doing much. Job advancement is non existent.

Single Point of Access

I have worked at the single point of access for a few years now, the work is varied and interesting, training can be intense ! but the whole team is friendly and helpful.

Pros

Interesting work, friendly place to work

Cons

Shift pattern, but knew when i applied it was shifts

Work placement more secure if your related to someone 'high up'

I loved the fast pace of working for the NHS and the fact that I was helping the public was very dear to me. Unfortunately I was advised to take sick leave to recover from early cancer treatment. I was subsequently fired as I was 'unreliable' I was told in my disciplinary meeting that I was banned from working for the NHS ever again and was asked to leave immediately.

Made redundant

I worked here for 7 years in total my last 3 years was in Cytology where unfortunately we were made redundant . I really enjoyed working in this role we were like a family.

Excellent Work Place

Enjoyable busy environment, with dedicated colleagues. Good working conditions. Good team work. Overall a very good place to work. Although you must be prepared to go the extra mile when req.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Clerical Worker
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?