NHS

NHS Employee Reviews for Dental Nurse

Dental Nurse23 reviews
United Kingdom23 reviews

Found 23 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,833 reviews

Fast paced and under paid

Working for multiple NHS Dental practices they are fasted paced and over worked. The teams are good, depends on manager. Pay isn't great as dental nurses are under rated anyway.

Pros

new friends

Cons

long days

Good

Good company to work with, highly recommended. Collaborative team who helps each other, healthy and supportive atmosphere which encourage culture to improve

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Would stay until retirement

Would’ve stayed until I retired but unfortunately we were taken over by the Whittington hospital NHS Trust we always worked well as a team & supported by management I really miss working for them

Lovely people

Working as a temporary nurse for Whittington was lovely, the staff are so lovely as-well and the patients are mainly children so you do get some who make your day, pay isn’t good but it’s a 9-5 job and the staff made it worth while.

Great Hospital

Great hospital to work at. Great location in London with excellent transport links. Clean and safe environment to work in and excellent training facilities.

Busy helpline

Very busy call centre. 24 hour service so hours didn't always suit me but it worked for a lot of people. Didn't like working over the Christmas period.

Excellent Management and support

Management are very supportive and have a lot of knowledge. Lots of opportunities to better yourself and further your career. Very good workplace culture, friendly staff.

Depressing place

Staff engagement poor. No leadership. No opportunity to self development unless your face fits! The only positive is the opportunity to see secondary care cases working along side some of the best specialists in the country. But that is also a opportunity not open to everyone. If you can put up with unmotivated colleagues that aren’t happy to be in a job because they’ve worked there so long and worried of stepping out of their comfort box, then this is the role for you! Best thing I did was leave!

Pros

Working with specialists

Cons

Hard to move up and management not great

Promotions are few and far between and the management seem to enjoy making staff such as nurses feel belittled. I would have recommended working here 5 years ago but not anymore!

Productive and fun at work

-day starts from 8:30 to 6:pm -I learned flexibility, in my opinion compassion and positive attitude is the key of succes. -there is no hardest part when you enjoy your work -nice people around, hapiness from helping the others

Productive and enjoyable

I really enjoyed working here everyone was friendly and made me feel very welcome. It was very busy but it did go very fast and everyone seemed happy to help and team work was a valuable characteristic that all staff members possessed.

supportive and engaging workplace

A typical day at work is full I'm at on of the many NHS 111 call centre bases and enjoy getting up and out for work the environment is friendly and employees feel valued. The role consists of analysing dental patient scenarios and deciding which should be booked a 111 emergency appointment. I have learned to used a professional telephone manner and how to analyse scenarios with a strong attention to detail, I have also learnt that no day working in the NHS will ever be the same I review different cases on a daily basis and the role is engaging. I completed my training very quickly and and began working before the original set date, due to my quick learning and ambition to succeed. The management team is supportive and very involved in the success and comfort of employees. Enthusiasm and professionalism is the culture at this work place to have a enthusiastic approach to helping patients whilst being professional and empathetic. The hardest part of the job for me personally is when some patient call in despair, I have a nurturing, empathetic nature and I feel as if it is my obligation to do above and beyond to help the individual. The most enjoyable part is the feeling of self-actualisation ever shift I feel like I have given back to the community.

Pros

Lunch Breaks

Cons

Repetitive

good place

Days work involves providing chairside for the dentists/therapists/orthodontists. Staff are excellent and we all get along and support each other. clinics tend to be busy most days but due to shortage of dentists days can be very quiet. Enjoy working as a dental nurse

Pros

excellent staff

Cons

very quiet

productive, fast paced

Have a list with a dentist or a student to complete, you would have your own space, where you are able to work efficiently in the environment you feel comfortable working in. all staff are polite and helpful

Love my job

Every day is different I enjoy the work with dental students Course that we get to do in the summer I get to use my skills with the dental students. I feel if there is a problem my manager would do her best to accommodate me and help me out.

Pros

Happy place to work

Cons

No students

fun and proactive

Whilst working at elder tree dental practice I learnt at lot. I qualified as a dental nurse and worked as a team, everyday was a fun experience. It was fun

Very interesting job

Few dental nurses have access to hospital job. Most of us dream about it.I remember the day I got the acceptation letter.I was so excited. It is a very demanding job physically and emotionaly were they expect you to be on top of your toes from 8am to 6pm with a lunch break of 30' At least we have a free day during the week. The pay is good and there is an increase every year which is not the case in a dental practice. I manage to have unpaid leave twice during the 3yrs and I'm grateful for that. Working with highly qualified people and seeing cases which are very rare in a dental practice is such an unusual experience that you feel honored to be part of it. Lastly, from the beginning you will either like it or feel that is not for you.The choice is yours

Pros

one free day during the week

Good Place to Work

Great place to work with incredibly compassionate and hard working colleagues. I have gained a lot of experience while apart of this invaluable organisation in team working and problem solving. Also improving my communication skills massively, interacting with all members of the public on a daily basis. Every day presents new challenges and this is something I love but career development is something I am eager for and require new challenges.

Pros

Great Colleagues

Cons

No Progression

Fast paced work place

A very fast paced work place, need to have very good organisational skills. Ensure patients have an exceptional patient experience through out their appointments. Really worthwhile job helping others.

Great place to work - a fun and caring atmosphere

Most of my days were enjoyable at the hospital. Despite the sometimes stressful work environment everyone was always smiling and had a good sense of humour. I've learnt a great deal, especially to work as a team and be ready to jump in and help a team member if needed. The majority of the people I got to work along side with were lovely which made each working day a pleasure. The only thing that made the job hard was the long waiting lists and managing the full diaries. Otherwise, it's been an absolute pleasure to work for the NHS and I would happily do it again.

Pros

Close to home and great people to work with.

Cons

Poor management - feedback not being taken note of.

Always something to do

A typical day at work will include setting up the surgery for the day, filling up the water and cleaning the lines, making sure you have all the instruments required, checking that all the labwork for the day was in, and if it wasn't, find out where it is - if it was not going to be back in time for the patients appointment to phone the patient and explain the situation and re book their appointment. I have learnt that being a dental nurse is rewarding from helping patients with their fears and getting them through the treatment required. I've learnt that working in a team makes the whole job easier, helping someone out one day means that they will happily help you out in a time of need.

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement