NHS

Handler76 reviews
United Kingdom76 reviews

Found 76 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,850 reviews
wardorganisationcolleaguepatienthospitalroleprogressiontrust

I have found the NHS an excellent place to work. The wage could be a little better, but you are given job security and a good work life balance. Management here is very good - they really take an interest in their staff and constantly strive for improvement. I would recommend working for the NHS.

Fun

Worked for the nhs immunisation management service. Enjoyed my time, everyone I worked with was friendly and my team were extremely supportive. Team meetings were always fun !

Pros

Great team

Cons

Repeative

Insights into NHS

• Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Great temporary role

Test and trace was a great role which really gave a sense of importance and like you’re doing something worthwhile, really supportive and helpful staff

Love working for NHS

I love my job at the NHS but I would like some degree of flexibility to be given for parents of toddlers who don’t have any childcare or are struggling to get childcare.

Stressful, unappreciated, ignored

No training given that Is actually helpful towards the job it’s self. Manager ignores emails and request and general help. Your constantly had a go at by someone from a different department who could be actually spending there time helping instead of just insulting you. But even after that your never offered any help on how to correct your mistakes or times. You can’t care and take time to actually try and help someone as there is a time requirement for each caller and if you go over it you get in trouble for it!. Every move you make is monitored and you are penalised even when you do something right!

Hard but rewarding

I’ve worked in several NHS jobs. The Scottish Ambulance service was not a good experience. They surprised me with how poor an organisation they were. NHS 24 were amazing. Great team, very professional and now in a GP surgery where I’m treated very well and so are the patients .

Fantastic people, lovely culture

NHS SCW has a great culture. Majority of roles seem to be work from home, and they manage it well. Fantastic training, good personal development and opportunities to progress.

Pros

Full hour lunch, Blue Light discount, lots of people to speak to

Cons

Strict guidelines as NHS

Home work

Worked on a call desk, it was flexible hours shame the contract ended as it was great for the money. Team leaders were always helpful when I needed them. Was always paid on time with no issues

Supportive team. Everyone wants you to do well and there’s plenty of support available.

Fast-paced job with a stringent application and training process to ensure quality employees. Really supportive environment, very friendly and passionate management. More suitable to those who drive.

Pros

Supportive team.

Cons

Long hours, unsociable hours that might not work for those with children and/or those who don’t drive.

Good team

I enjoyed working at NWAS. And my team were very supportive .Training was a long process and was a lot for a lot of people to process. I felt due to lockdow having a different tutor every other day didn't help me progress fast enough.

Pros

Good working environment

Cons

Can be emotionally draining

WFH so the job suits me perfectly

Excellent team to work with , job needs to be more open as to if contract will be extended or not as agency does not tell us this and we need to know .

Cons

Overall it was alright. I was a full time worker, although it was for a short period of time I enjoyed it. Training was for a couple of days . Management was also great

Pros

Weekly pay

Cons

If your face fits you’ll move up the ranks pretty quick!

Been here two years. Applied for four different promotions yet not had a chance for one interview yet someone who doesn’t pull their weight, answers less then 25 calls a shift gets promoted after being there less than 1 year. If you are friends with a team leader then you are fit for life, they will change your shifts get you off calls and do everything they can!! Even change your shift to make sure you are not working Christmas Day yet us with children have to work!!! Disgraceful place to work. No help with anything especially sickness and if you are waiting a major operation you will still move up the sickness stages despite it all being due to this one major illness! Disgusting!! Get me out of here!!

Pros

Good wage lots of overtime

Cons

Long hours No support at all

Only if you're desperate or your face will fit

It's well paid and there's a lot of overtime but that's about it! It's very much comparable to the popularity hierarchy at schools, if you're mates with a team leader you can avoid taking calls, and you can ask them to fiddle your shifts - leaving the 4 am finishes to everyone else. You then have to deal with abuse from callers, having to bring a hot water bottle to work it gets that cold, and having no choice to eat at your desk on top of that. And not to mention you only get promoted if your face fits. We have raised these issues time and time again and they never stop.

Pros

Occasional free food and drinks, lots of overtime for the people who want to do it, they're good when you ring in sick

Cons

Working 3 out of 4 weekends and 6 out of 8 bank holidays, starting your shift anywhere between 6 am and 10 pm, you can't get into a routine because your shifts are all over the place, I'm sure it's barely legal for people to be working in the temperature it gets to, and of course the face fit culture.

Yas

If you know the right people at this place, then you'll move up the ranks however your hard work goes unnoticed and you will not be supported if you have any issues regarding personal/mental/work life which is ridiculous especially considering how stressful and fast-paced this job is.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Long hours, Bad Management, Poor work ethics

Not suitable for those of a sensitive disposition

Although the role is high pressured and often presented with difficult situations, it comes with great job satisfaction and stabilityThere are some calls come through that are obvious emergencies or obvious that a Dr is required, there are also some complex and some that are obvious can be self-cared. This keeps the job interesting and variedClinical help is always available to help when needed and always on site for guidance

Pros

Job satisfaction, clinical support, varied complexity, short shifts

Cons

Unsocial hours

Managment inexperienced and bullying

My experience of the team leaders and managers in this role was really negative. My team were responsive and keen to do an excellent job, but I.T problems were an issue. Managers were defensive and not at all understanding of staff frustrations.

Pros

Work from home

I would give less than 1 star if it was possible.

I don't know where to start really so I will just post a warning.This is the worst employer I have ever worked for. I guess I have been spoiled as I have worked for companies in the past that care about their staff. YAS is definitely not one of these. I am happy to be out and now working for a company that does appreciate their staff. If you look at the staff turnover and the other reviews, you will see all you need to see. If you are desperate, then maybe go for it... But don't say I didn't warn you!!

Pros

None.

Cons

I don't have enough time to list them all.

Ok place to work - reasonable money and intensive training period

Long training period, with supportive trainers. Very unsociable hours with reasonable pay (definitely needs increasing for the job you’re doing) and more support needed for difficult calls

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

No support

track andtrace

Was taken on for the covid problem, but its been obviously favoritism, and two companies trying to outdo each other for the contract leaving staff with nothing to do, or they divert calls to favorites and we are cannon fodder waiting for termination.

Pros

homeworking

Cons

bad attitude of so called colleagues

Awful place to work

Being a 111 call handler was just awful, the training is so inadequate in preparation for you to take calls. If your face doesn't fit then you will end up leaving. Shifts are awful - every shif† involves either a Saturday or Sunday. Money was £9.70 per hour after training, so cleaning jobs generally pay bet†er.

Pros

Cons

Shift hours, pay too low, training too intense but no support

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare NHS with

• NHS
  • Handler
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?